Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 3:30am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « smoke,  drink and carbs?   »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   smoke,  drink and carbs?  
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: smoke,  drink and carbs?    (Read 325 times)
powersurge
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

smoke,  drink and carbs?  
« on: Nov 28th, 2003, 5:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I get so damned mad when when I have these things.  I can not do anything.  When they first came on,  I called them power surges.  It is like a flash out of nowhere and then like a rush of electricity exploding my brain.   I  can generally feel points in my upper back that lead to the middle of my neck then blow out into my head at times I would like to chop off an arm to have some other pain to focus on.  Over the years I have started to make some connection as to triggers.    I have found that being in smokey places, drinking Gin,  Vodka,  Kahlua and red wine will bring about some massive attacks within no time.  Another thing that I am trying to track is the relationship between carb rich deserts and the attacks.   I get some big ones when I eat processed carbs.   I will finaly take the Neuro clinic advice and journal to see if I can pin-point specific triggers.  Does anyone have issues with carb rich foods as a trigger?
IP Logged
jonny

Email

Re: smoke,  drink and carbs?  
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28th, 2003, 6:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

No triggers here at all, but then I aint had CH long so maybe ill find some Grin

A journal is a real good idea.

.................................jonny
IP Logged
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28th, 2003, 6:12pm »

Welcome aboard, Power.  Sorry you have to be here, but if you have CH, this is where you NEED to be.  There is a tremendous amount of information here.  Read all the buttons on the left.  Join OUCH.  read the information at the OUCH site.

As far as your question, as you learn more about this bastard, you will find he is VERY individualistic.  Things that you find as triggers are not for others.  For instance, the most common trigger is alchol (especially beer) is a trigger for most.  It does not bother me at all.

I have only found two triggers for me one is nitro (and I have a bad heart!) and an orgasm (DAMN!!! Of all the things to be a trigger!)

The journal is a very good idea, and many have at one time or other.  It is hard to do, but can be a very valuable tool to find what or if you have triggers.

Welcome, again
Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
don

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 28th, 2003, 6:53pm »

Quote:
and an orgasm (DAMN!!! Of all the things to be a trigger!)  

GEEZE! Never thought I'd actually WANT  a CH.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

Fructose can reduce tryptophan, serotonin levels
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28th, 2003, 7:11pm »

Most people have heard of lactose intolerance, but few have heard of fructose intolerance.  Fructose intolerance is strongly associated with lower tryptophan levels in the blood, which leads to lower serotonin levels, which probably also lowers melatonin production. About half of the people with dietary fructose intolerance have no GI symptoms, but the other half get gas, bloating, and diarrhea.  

I am testing for a personal link between sweets and stomach problems and mood, but only started changing my diet a few days ago.  Soft drinks seem to be the worst for me, but  (in retrospect) apple and orange juices have been associated with gut wrenching problems as well.  

High prices for table sugar (sucrose) led to the development of cheaper high fructose sweeteners, and these are in soda and many other processed foods (lots in ketchup, Hersheys chocolate syrup, some salad dressings, etc, etc).  Some people have serious problems with 15 grams of fructose per day - a can of cola has 39 grams of sugar, much of it fructose. Add a few grams of fructose to half of the processed foods you eat, and the daily total is pretty significant.   One statistic I saw indicated that nearly 1/2 of the total sugar consumption in the US is from High Fructose Corn sweetners.  

Fructose also occurs naturally in fruits and honey, and some vegetables.  Intolerance or malabsorption of sorbitol and lactose are somewhat similar in terms of the GI distress, and tend to co-occur with fructose intolerance.  

Can't say if this what's affecting you, but it's a possibility worth considering.  Most people have no problem with fructose, but you could be one of the millions who do.  

Quote:
Scand J Gastroenterol. 2000 Oct;35(10):1048-52.  

Fructose- and sorbitol-reduced diet improves mood and gastrointestinal disturbances in fructose malabsorbers.

Ledochowski M, Widner B, Bair H, Probst T, Fuchs D.   Dept. of Clinical Nutrition, Institute of Medical Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Innsbruck, Austria.

BACKGROUND: Fructose malabsorption is characterized by the inability to absorb fructose efficiently. As a consequence fructose reaches the colon where it is broken down by bacteria to short fatty acids, CO2 and H2. Bloating, cramps, osmotic diarrhea and other symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome are the consequences and can be seen in about 50% of fructose malabsorbers. We have previously shown that fructose malabsorption is associated with early signs of mental depression and low serum tryptophan concentrations. It was therefore of interest whether a fructose-reduced diet could not only improve gastrointestinal complaints but also depressive signs seen in fructose malabsorbers. METHODS: Fifty-three adults (12 males, 41 females), who were identified as fructose malabsorbers according to their breath-H2 concentrations, filled out a Beck's depression inventory-questionnaire, and a questionnaire with arbitrary scales for measurement of meteorism, stool frequency and quality of life for a 4-week period before dietary intervention and 4 weeks after dietary change as for fructose- and sorbitol-reduced diet. RESULTS: Depression scores were reduced by 65.2% after 4 weeks of diet (P < 0.0001), and there was a significant reduction of meteorism (P < 0.0001) and stool frequency (P < 0.01). Improvement of signs of depression and of meteorism was more pronounced in females than in males. CONCLUSION: Fructose- and sorbitol-reduced diet in subjects with fructose malabsorption does not only reduce gastrointestinal symptoms but also improves mood and early signs of depression.
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2003, 7:45pm by floridian » IP Logged
stevegeebe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 28th, 2003, 7:26pm »

Simply put..   DNA is a powerful thing.

I hope you are on to something but I have my doubts.  I live in New Orleans and every time I go out of town their aint enough smoke, booze or carbs to make me want to stay.

DNA!

Steve G
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 1st, 2003, 4:41pm »

Welcom aboard.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss