Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 5:25am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Any professional writers here? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Any professional writers here?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Any professional writers here?  (Read 255 times)
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

Any professional writers here?
« on: Nov 26th, 2003, 12:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I read in Readers Digest today about an article on Pain management clinics. It got me to thinking, No not about pain management, but about writing a short story about Cluster Headaches. Maybe a true account of 4 or 5 people who suffer and submitting it to RD as a story of interest.
Do we have any professional writers here or at OUCH? RD is always looking for good stories to publish. Maybe this would be a good chance at some recognition for this dreadful disease.

Just wondering, Patrick
IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
forgetfulnot

Email

Re: Any professional writers here?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 12:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Dave Emond is one of many, however he is out of action for a while, Margie is also one of the very best. Left someone out? Volunteer  Grin Wink Smiley Cool
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2003, 7:16pm by forgetful » IP Logged
clustey
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 2:30am »

WhaT can I write for you today?
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #3 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 4:37am »

As any REAL pro writer or journalist knows, writing the stuff  is not the problem.

Getting it into useful publications IS.

The question should read; who among us is a pro and has an in with a good national magazine or paper.

If there is somebody like that, they should "excersice that option" saspo (or is it asap these days?).

IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
jadedgazer
New Board Veteran
USA 

This isn't life threatening, just life altering

jadedgazer  

« Reply #4 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 7:06am »

One of the biggest hurdles is getting it beyond the query letter. Targeting one market with it is not the way to get it out there. You have to select many places to send it so that you have a better chance of getting it out there. Finding the right places to send it where you get maximum exposure for the audience you want to reach. Or sometimes reaching out on a smaller level and getting it published and not relinquishing your rights to republish it elsewhere is the best bet. That way you can republish the work in more than one venue.  

Also, even though we want the facts about CH out there, this work needs to be 'heart-wrenching' to reach the public. What it is really about at this point, and please don't take this wrong, ok.... it is about marketing CH to the public to make them aware of what it is, what we suffer through and what little research is being done to help us. If we can ever do that effectively than we can make strides in finding ways to put pressure on drug companies to help us.

Just some thoughts...
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2003, 7:07am by jadedgazer » IP Logged

Jackie S.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #5 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 7:24am »

Well, I am a media student. Guess what I wrote about this fall? Yep, about clusterheadaches. Nothing published, though, as it was a university project and I'm still waiting for my grade...  Wink One of my professors did say that she liked it a lot. That's a good sign, as she is a journalist herself.

Anyways,
best wishes & pain-free days,
sandie99
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss