Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 5:34am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Has anyone ever tried Imitrex as a prophylactic? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Has anyone ever tried Imitrex as a prophylactic?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Has anyone ever tried Imitrex as a prophylactic?  (Read 592 times)
Carl_D

Email

Has anyone ever tried Imitrex as a prophylactic?
« on: Nov 25th, 2003, 9:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

And no, I don't mean as a condom (god you people have dirty minds.) Grin

I mean as a preventative. The reason I ask this is, I have a few Trex tabs I am saving for OUCHfest to try and make it through the night without any f**kups.
One thing that has my curiousity peaked is that a injection of Trex is 6mg...but the tablets are 100mg. Just one of those things making me go Hmm.

headbanger
Carl D
IP Logged
Jimi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Who loves ya baby!

Hendrix1473  
WWW Email

Re: Has anyone ever tried Imitrex as a prophylacti
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25th, 2003, 9:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have never tried it as a preventative. I used to use cafergot that way which worked pretty well. Imitrex has a long lasting pill called Amerge that releases slower. Not much good when one is coming on but I have thought that if I have another cycle that I would try that next time. That is if your GP will give you any. He might have some free samples around as they are also used for migraines.
IP Logged

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 25th, 2003, 9:45pm »

No Imitrex when mine were hitting me but I tried Cafergot. It never prevented anything so far as I know but I didn't use the stuff right.

I have no brain.

Good luck Carl.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 25th, 2003, 10:01pm »

Carl. all the smart heads advise against this as well as saying it won't help, could it make things worse ?

Lee
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 25th, 2003, 10:12pm »

I'll try that to night. I'll get back to you with the results in August 04.
IP Logged
paul_b
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

guido90601  

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25th, 2003, 10:51pm »

Not a good idea. I carry Im with me all the time but only use it when I feel an attack coming on.
IP Logged
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 12:11am »

Ive done it Carl. Used and abused my Imitrex. I would take 1/4 of a Trex before bedtime and sleep good all night. BUT, It went back to them Rebound MF'ers. I started getting the CH's at all times of the day instead of my usual 1 or 2 a day.
I aint advising it though!

Patrick  Smiley
IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
rumplestiltskin

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 12:11am »

What makes it a bad idea?

My Neuro has perscribed using oral trex, frova, and other triptans as preventatives. I was surprised since I thought it wasn't a common practice. She rolled her eyes and said "trust me ....try it"

I havn't yet been able to afford it...so I can't say if it works or not.

later
 Den
IP Logged
HanalaR
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 12:35am »

Hi Carl,

Just my two cents, but I've been using Amerge 2.5mg, cut in half for about 4 years now, as a preventative at night.  No rebounds that I know of & my neuro told me to use it as a preventative because of it's long 1/2 life, which for a whole pill is about 8 hours.  By the way, it's been working for me.  

Hope that helps Roll Eyes
Chana
IP Logged

"Always do right..this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
- Mark Twain-
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 1:19am »

Yes, a few times when the shadows were increasing before bedtime, and I had to get good sleep, I would take an imitrex pill before going to sleep.  I don't truly know if it worked, but for those times I didn't get CH.  Could also be good during the 'mandatory social functions'.  I'm extremely stingy with my imitrex usage (praise Verapamil).  For me, the pills are either a short-acting preventative or a slow-acting abortive.

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
5-string
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Nothing is accomplished without passion

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 1:31am »

I agree with Steve. I have taken Imitrex(pill form) when I feel a shadow closing in and getting worse and it usually keeps it at bay. Verapimil is the only thing my neurologist recommended as a prophylactic though. Never heard of Imitrex as one though.
 Verapimil seems to do the trick for me....most of the time...
   seeyalater,
...Mark..
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

Imitrex as a prophylactic? Nyet.....
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 2:43am »

Carl........

Man.......you been at this for a while......and just NOW you're asking this triptan question???  I asked Uncle Ueli a similiar query.........one year ago. Proof positive that triptan alternatives are alive and well.  Here's his response, reprinted w/o his permission, let the royalties fall where they may......

All triptans in pill form are usually too slow to kick in as an abortive, in the range of half to one hour. I know only of one guy, who is terribly afraid of needles, who claims to abort an attack within 10 minutes with Imitrex pills, but he has a 10 minute forewarning of a oncoming attack and has to take the pill at the earliest sign.  

One way to speed up the pills is to crush them / chew them up and washing them down with some coffee.  

Rizatriptan (Maxalt) comes as MLT tablets, to be put under the tongue where they melt. Many get help from them in 10 - 15 minutes.  

An entirely different use of the triptan pills is as short time preventatives. If one is taken before bed time, the nightly attacks can often be kept at bay. Here it the half life time is important. Imitrex is least suitable with only ~2 hours. Most of the other triptans have a half live of 4-6 hours.  
My nightly attacks are well damped down by Verapamil, but I take some triptans before bed time to suppress then altogether, most of the time. I used to take Naratriptan (Amerge), 2.5 mg, and in better times half a tablet would do the trick. Three month ago I started with Eletriptan (Relpax) with even better results. Usually I take half of a 40 mg tablet. (Relpax comes in 20, 40 and 80 mg tablets, all at the same price [Pfizer can do that, being the largest ]. It is not yet out in the US market.)  

For some time available is Frovatriptan (Frova). It is distinguished from the other triptans by the long half life of 26 hours, and that should make it very suitable as a preventative. However, the few reports on the message board were not very encouraging. But that could be because some less literate doctor just rx'rd the latest stuff, as the only preventative.  

Praise Ueli with great praise.

Everybody's going to have thier druthers.......so pick your favorite colored pill, and see if it keeps the night time nasties away for you. Change pill colors as needed. Anything that ends in Triptan can't be all bad..........

Zomig R Us,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss