Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 5:24am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « TThe Sad Repulblican »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   TThe Sad Repulblican
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: TThe Sad Repulblican  (Read 331 times)
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

TThe Sad Repulblican
« on: Nov 23rd, 2003, 3:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

If we could not meet face to face
and argue out  respective place
if we never strood breadth to breadth,  
underneath  a safe tree, shadowed by poetry.
we'd pass beneath in misery................

We all want the same thing
IP Logged
Brian_Y

Email

Re: TThe Sad Repulblican
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23rd, 2003, 4:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

What's a "Repulblican"?
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 23rd, 2003, 4:34pm »

A Repulblican is a Lawng Guyland Republican.  

Yup. I agree.  The Bills need a win  

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 23rd, 2003, 6:22pm »

Baiting Banality.  

"Banal" is a word stigmatizing a rerun of a tired old formula.  Much of what you see, hear, and read is a rerun of almost hopelessly conventionalized forms with new, or apparently new, content filled into the blanks of the form.  Television news stories, pop songs, sitcoms and adventure flicks, stories, novels, plays, writing assignments, students' essays, teachers' lectures--you name the form, its tendency is to sink into banality.  It is easy, in one sense, to get the knack of a current stylized form and allow its machinery to produce pages for you--but it goes hard on you to do so, because this process eats the heart out of your writing and eventually out of you as well.  One day you wake up and you hate writing, you hate yourself, you don't even know yourself anymore.  You've been replaced by talking machines.  

It takes a bit of wit to bust out the banality of these forms.  They happen when you can't, don't, don't want to, or aren't allowed to--rethink  the subject matter.  With essay tests, for example, experience tells you that graders are often looking for answers that distill a text or lecture, and you've been punished for diverging from orthodoxy.  They may not be the safest venue for busting up banality:  too many educators have bought the myth that students must first assimilate the already known, and only then venture into thinking for themselves.  I wish all of that were already over for you--in high school, if not before.

But in writing that matters to you, whether you are writer or reader or both, you achieve some fresh perspective.  How do you do that, when so much has already been thought, and so often at that?  Any one of this A to Z of rhizomes can grow into your writing, but for this venture, let's bait Banality directly.  Give yourself about a page for this rhizome.  Don't restate a common opinion:  consider what is learned through the "thought experiment" of arguing the opposite of that consensus, even if you learn only an exception or a limitation to the consensusÖ  Now that everyone's beginning to admit television violence is harmful, argue its benefits.  People normally think of Christianity as a benign force in the world:  argue that it is the cancer at the heart of western civilization.  We are accustomed to enjoying the range of freedoms guaranteed by our Constitution:  argue that we are the most tightly controlled population on earth.  World War II is usually described as the victory of the free world over the fascist dictatorships of the axis powers:  argue that the fascism lost the battle but won the war.  Now that the Evil Empire of the Soviet Union has fallen apart, argue that the Soviet experiment was one of the highpoints of western humanism.  Start with any  asumption people around you seem to take for granted:  argue its opposite.  This technique teaches you how much oft-repeated opinions limit vision and imagination.  

IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Nov 23rd, 2003, 7:51pm »

baiting banality Smiley

Cath: We are going to sloppy joe's where we will battle banality CheesyCaptain Barbara will take us fishin next morning.......Wes, too!  After we will ride bikes and shout incoherently    - followed by a sort nap, a quick dinner and more foolgannery ( I don't know if that is a word)......................

I  won't, however, give up the hanes her way Cool  Ever. Cheesy
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2003, 7:52pm by kim » IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 23rd, 2003, 7:52pm »

Cathy, the weird thing is - I actually think I understood what you just said and agree with you.... On the other hand........ laugh

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 23rd, 2003, 8:09pm »

on Nov 23rd, 2003, 7:51pm, kim wrote:
 foolgannery ( I don't know if that is a word)......................

Kim, since when did that stop ya,

Opus/Paul
IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Nov 23rd, 2003, 9:39pm »

ukay. Cheesy  I GOT it. Cool

Foolgannery:  Happy go lucky ; everbodies happy.....
then...

alawng comes...........are ya ready? Grinhere we go:

Foolschmammery:  over the edge; doomed to fall off bike and laugh your ass off on the sidwalk; .................this i try to avoid..........however it has been known to happen; ....................... Embarassed

LUCKILY FER ME CheesyI always fall down RITE next to the street guy with the fresh ORANGE JUICE and ICE COLD WADDA.  He don't even look funny at me and Captain Barbara NEVER tells me to GET THE HELLBACK IN THE GODDAM BOAT. Smiley
IP Logged
rumplestiltskin

Email

Kim can't spell "the"
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24th, 2003, 1:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

And to think....only out of sheer boredom did I open this thread.

Cathy

That flat out blew me away! As good as the best I've ever read here.

Way too much of me there...dogpaddling in the "no swimming" zone.

Cry in the sunshine, walk in the night.
den

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss