Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 7:20am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Phenergran »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Phenergran
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Phenergran  (Read 2286 times)
Paigelle

Email

Phenergran
« on: Nov 20th, 2003, 3:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Why did the Dr. give me Phenergran?  Does anyone have a clue? Huh
IP Logged
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

Re: Phenergran
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 4:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Think this is the same drug....hope this helps you...hey maybe you mentioned you were having trouble sleeping....in which case the Dr's a dick... Grin

Promethazine
Used to help treat allergic reactions in the airways and skin, and, on a short term basis, insomnia in adults. Also used as a seditive in adults and children. Can help with travel/motion sickness.  

Who can take the drug.
Adults and children (over 2 years old).  

Taking the Drug
Read and follow the instructions that come with it.  

If the drug does not seem to be for the problem that you have, or the dose seems very high compared to the dose notes on the drug information sheet contact your GP or Pharmacist and just ask them to confirm the prescription. (Mistakes do happen. A 20 becomes 200, a Davis becomes a Davies, a Baxan becomes a Taxan).  

If you don't think that the drug is having any effect, do not stop taking it. Keep taking it but tell your Doctor. He may need to change the dose. In many cases, (especially for long term problems), experimentation is the only way to find the right level for the patient.  

Cautionary notes
The groups listed below are the main groups either unsuitable for the drug, or need to use it with a higher degree of monitoring than normal because of potential problems that may arise. For many drugs there are a wide range of other groups of people who should not use it, or should use it with care, but these are not mentioned because they only amount to small numbers of people. Refer to the drug information sheet with your prescription for full details.  

If you are in any of the following groups (or those listed in the drug information sheet with your prescription) then make sure that your Doctor is aware of the fact.  

Your Doctor should be able to indicate why they are recommending this drug, or clarify that you have nothing to worry about. (EG, your other drugs DON'T interact with this one, or your kidney problem is NOT one of the problematic ones).  

In many cases the decision is one of balancing risks. For example a drug may be known to cause damage to some babies when given to pregnant women. You might therefore think that pregnant women should not be given the drug. Even so your Doctor may well decide to use the drug because the illness itself is MORE LIKELY to cause damage to the baby. In some cases there are no perfect solutions and all options carry risks.  

Pregnant women*.  
Women feeding their babies with their own breast milk.  
People with sensitivity/allergy to this drug. Advise your doctor of ANY known bad reactions to ANY drug you have taken in the past. It may be a related drug with a different name.  
There are MANY drugs that interact with this one. Make sure your GP knows about everything you are taking, (including herbal, homeopathic, aromatherapy or other preparations).  
People who use, frequently or infrequently, any illegal drugs.  
People with liver problems.  
People with kidney problems.  
People with severe coronary artery disease, some types of glaucoma, epilepsy, or certain obstructions in the bladder or intestine.  

Side Effects
All drugs can produce side effects in some people. If you suffer any side effects tell your doctor.  

If you have any significant change, illness, or symptoms that worry you, contact the doctor.  

The side effects that are of most concern us here are ones that seem minor but actually signal a serious issue and require action. Any such side effects are listed below.  

None  

Other notes
Not normally taken for more than 7 days at a time.  

Alcohol. Do not use alcohol.  

Driving. Many people feel drowsy for up to 12 hours. Plan to avoid driving when you first take the drug, and thereafter use common sense if affected.  

Common Brand Name(s)
These are the common UK Brand names.  

Phenergan  
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

floridian

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 4:17pm »

It's mostly an antihistamine/anti-nausea medication.  Don't know why it was prescribed for clusters. Anyone??
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2003, 4:17pm by floridian » IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 4:18pm »

I was given 6 scripts today and the Phenergran was one of them.  I have taken it and yes I am a bit sleepy.  I really need to chat so I don't fall asleep.
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 4:32pm »

WWWWWWWWWAKEEEEEEEE UUUUUUPPPPPPPPPP  laugh lol.
IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 4:34pm »

Thank you Thomas I needed that!  Thomas, I also got a SSRI today. snore
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 4:51pm »

It really helped me after two days of using it with the melatonin.  Take the ssri in the am and the melatoning at night.  I'm not sure how it works chemically, but I didn't need to abort since then.  Had some heavy shadows and kip 2-4's for a few days, then just shadows, now I get some shadows a couple of days a week and nothing else.  I have been off the ssri since Monday.  I'm still taking the melatonin at night and magnesium in am.  Good Luck.  If you have any questions at all, I'm more than willing to give you as much help as I can.  I'm glad your doc is willing to work with you on meds.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2003, 4:52pm by thomas » IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 4:52pm »

on Nov 20th, 2003, 4:17pm, floridian wrote:
It's mostly an antihistamine/anti-nausea medication.  Don't know why it was prescribed for clusters. Anyone??

EXACTLY.  It's similar to dramamine and/or benadryl.

It will promote sleep as a side effect but won't let you get into REM sleep, which is where the attacks usually find you.  Let yourself sleep if you can, Paigelle.  Painfree sleep is golden to a clusterhead in cycle.

What other meds did they give you?

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 4:55pm »

Margi - I am glad to have found you.  Someone recommended you to me!   Grin

Prednisone, which I have had before.
Prozac
Percocet, yuck
And then some stuff for my allergies.
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 4:56pm »

Prozac is what I used also.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 4:57pm »

Prozac?
Percoset?

do yourself a favour - get a cluster knowledgeable neuro.   Roll Eyes

the pred will probably break your cycle.  the prozac....well.... Lips Sealed but the percs won't do anything except get you stoned.  narcotics do NOT prevent attacks or cycles.  he didn't give you imitrex or oxygen??

like I said - get a new doc.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 5:00pm »

Can't do Imitrex.  It screws me up!  He basically gave me the percs for when I am so sore that I can't move.  I have taken a narcotic before for CH and nope they don't work.  If anything they will make it worse.  Oxygen he said he would give if the pred doesn't stop the cycle.
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 5:04pm »

If you can't use imitrex, try amerge, zomig, or axert.
IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 5:08pm »

Tried Amerge and it made my head numb and then I had to vomit. hurl  I hate it when that happens.  Imitrex gave me the most wicked feeling.  I can't even begin to describe it.

IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 5:12pm »

zomig might make you a little nauseous also, maybe try axert if you can.
IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 5:19pm »

I guess if the Zomig would make feel sick, then the Phenergran would help that!  

Right now is the best I have felt all day, except I am sooooooooooo sleepy and husband won't be home for another 2 hours.
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 5:21pm »

If you need to stay awake - go look at all the old funnies and jokes.
IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 5:26pm »

I think I will try the funnies.  Lord knows we all need to laugh! laugh
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 8:45pm »

I take cafegot as an abortive, but have to take the phenergan with it for the nauseau it causes.  

If you take it in the middle on an attack, it shouldn't make you sleepy - but everyone reacts in different ways.  

I agree with everyone else on the percoset - They may dull the immediate pain, but don't do much good.  

Tell the Doc that O2 works WITH the pred. Sounds like you need a doc who knows something about CH.

Keep us informed of how you're doing.

hugs BD

IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #19 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 8:54pm »

I don't know what kind of wierd feeling you got with trex, but I typically get tingling in my scalp, minor tightness in my throat...  My first thought the first time that I injected trex was that I was having problems breathing.  Also, I felt a bit anxious due to the breathing.  I got myself to calm down and realized that I was not having problems breathing...just thought I was because of tightness in my throat.  Due to panicing, I could have easily hyperventalated.  Once I calmed down, I was fine.  I've gotten used to the feelings now, and I am able to press on in a normal fashion once the trex kills the HA.  The side effects normally last 15-25 minutes for me.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
mrbonecrusher
New Board Newbie

« Reply #20 on: Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:43am »

Percoset has Tylenol in it. The list of things that Tylenol can cause include rebound headache, liver toxicity and possible death. This info I got from my pain management Dr. Also she had that drug listed as a "lazy short acting narcotic". She recommended the longer lasting non euphoric narcs. I use Avinza once a day and it keeps me mostly PF without the "high". I've used Phenergran IM and it does help with side effects of ergot based drugs like nausea/vomiting. And it does seem to help with getting to sleep during a 9-10 CH.
IP Logged

Mike in Idaho
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Nov 22nd, 2003, 2:15pm »

At the convention I spoke with Dr. Bigal about this drug because I had been given it as well.  Apparently there is some good results with using Phenergan to treat CH.  Unfortunately it's not a drug you can take long term though.

It has helped me with CH a little, but I wouldn't say it should be anyone's first choice.

Hope that helps.

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss