Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 7:28am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Neck pain with CH's »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Neck pain with CH's
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Neck pain with CH's  (Read 43 times)
tbone
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Neck pain with CH's
« on: Nov 19th, 2003, 8:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

HI to all you fellow CH sufferers. I'm new to the forum, however not so new to CH. I've been suffering from the damn things for over 10 years now, and I'm currently in a cycle. I've noticed that for a week or so before I start a cycle I start to develop more severe neck pain. I say more severe because I cronically suffer daily neck pain which sometimes leads to headaches. ie a sharp pain near the surface on the right side of my head. Advil takes the edge off normally but when I'm in a cycle it's pretty much constant. I guess my question is, is this a common associative pain with CH, or is it just me? I've thought about getting an MRI of my neck but don't want to go through the expence if this is a common symptom of CH. Any feedback would be appreciated. Smiley Huh
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

Re: Neck pain with CH's
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 8:20pm »

I get that occasionally, it's relatively mild, but I normally only get it during/after an attack.  I normally do not notice it much until the trex kicks in, the HA's gone and all that remains is that neck pain.  I am chronic so I cannot associate it with a cycle.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
ckelly181
New Board Old Timer
USA 

To err is human; To forgive, canine.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 8:42pm »

Yep, I get that - almost constant neck pain during my cycle, back right side. Very annoying, but I figure it's the least of my worries during that time.

Chris
IP Logged

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
Little Deb
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Please SPAY and NEUTER all dogs, cats and idiots!

debbie4278  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 8:56pm »

I just wanted to say welcome.  I have alot of neck and back pain in general so I can't really associate it with CH. I do however get a hot sensation and pain that starts in my neck/base of my head on the left that warns me I'm going to get hit.  Even if my neck hurts, it is trivial compared to the CH so I don't give it a second thought.

Welcome to the board.

Little Deb Cool
IP Logged

Adopt a shelter pet!
Virginia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

v49acosta  

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 9:20pm »

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the board.  Your profile says you live in Los Angeles..?  Huh  Did you mean to put that you live in Oakland, CA???  You are the aging receiver from the Raiders, aren't you??  laugh  hee hee.

ok, just kidding.  Yes, I also get severe neck pain with my clusters on occasion.  It use to be much worse than it is now and I would get chair massages every couple of weeks for some relief.

Welcome again, sorry you had to find us but hope you stick around.

Virginia
IP Logged

The Clusterhead formerly known as 9erfan.
tbone
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 9:28pm »

I'm hoping the celeb Tim Brown retires soon so I can regain my persona. Come to think of it I wish I could retire soon. Very glad for this site, I've known about it for some time and have gleemed much useful info from it. Thought it was time to contribute. Thnx for the replies. laugh laugh
IP Logged
goaway
New Board Veteran
USA 

"Things take longer than they do."

« Reply #6 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 12:10am »

Tim,

Looks alot like a thread I read a few days ago.  Check it out here:

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;acti on=display;num=1068846901

My reply then is the same now.

on Nov 14th, 2003, 4:19pm, aprilbee wrote:  "Has anyone ever had neck pain after a cycle, I have it during my cycle obviously, but my cycle ended about 3 weeks ago and I am now having to go to a physical therapist, he said my neck is all screwed up!  He told me that normally its the back that starts to go and works its way up to the neck, but I'm the opposite...I just wonder if that is because of the nerves from the neck to the occulars get so enflamed that eventually things just start to break down.  Has anyone else experienced this?"

Only once.  When I stuck my head under the wheel of my 300 SD Turbo during a cycle.  After the car rolled off me I guess it took maybe a couple of weeks for the neck pain to go away.  Took a bit longer for the rubber smell to disappear though.      Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2003, 12:12am by goaway » IP Logged

"If you get robbed by worry,.....it was an 'inside' job."

"...runnin' with the shadow...runnin' with the shadow..."

"We don't rent pigs."
thomas

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 9:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I hate to say but I don't feel any pain except ch.  The beast has made me one tough s.o.b. Grin
IP Logged
mikeyd
New Board Veteran
Canada 

8616152 8616152   mikeyd32  
Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 10:10am »

Yup...I get neck pain at the base of the skull on the right side and I can feel my jugular/carotid begin to dilate/contract just before one hits me on the noggin. It is there before and after the headache for me, sometimes the muscles get so stiff it hurts all the way down to my mid-back on the right side. it been that way every cycle for the last 11 years
 hammer
IP Logged

Waging war with the beast is tiresome & painful but never boring ;-D
Cluster_head
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 11:19am »

I also get moderate neck/back pain during a cycle.  During a severe attack,  the right side of my neck will noticibly swell.  About 4 years ago I had an MRI of my cervical spine and it showed arthritis in several vertebra (sometimes I feel like I'm falling apart at age 37!).  I'm not sure if the arthritis exacerbates the headaches or vice versus.  

Guess I'm not alone with the neck pain.  I've been using a heating pad for it.  Seems to help somewhat.

Tim

IP Logged

Tim

umali
New Board Newbie
USA 

bluh

thats+highspeed

« Reply #10 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 12:55pm »

i'm new, but i, too, have neck pain...also back pain, but only in one specific spot in my back right near my sholderblade.

anyway, i'm in my cycle right now, and i've been doing more research, which is how i found this web page.

upon doing research i found something pretty interesting. granted the page i found it on was about car accidents and whiplash, but it could be related. (not the whiplash, but related pain)

here is a picture
http://www.theberries.ns.ca/Graphics/Whiplash.JPG

the related text to the picture is as follows:
Occipital Headaches
Within two months of injury, 50-80% report headaches in addition to neck pain. After 2 years, 10-25% still complain of headaches. Mechanism is not clear. The following diagram illustrates one hypothesis as it relates to occipital headaches and the postulate that the greater occipital nerve mediates this. It is surrounded by the trapezius and the splenius capitis or neck muscles.

i'm not a doctor or anything..but i am curious.  it could be related.  maybe this nerve is something that could be effected/connected with CHs. i dunno. maybe someone else has thought about this already, but, again..i'm new.

i just thought i'd throw this out there.
IP Logged
5-string
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Nothing is accomplished without passion

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 1:18pm »

Hey Tim,
 I experience neck pain on my left side pretty constantly.
 Not before my cycle begins. this year it hit with NO WARNING! I hate it when that happens. But since then I pretty much have a constant "stiffness" in the left side
 of my neck. And here it is 4 months later.
 that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Take it easy,
...Mark..
IP Logged
12gagueblast
New Board Junior
USA 

BLAM BLAM!!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: Nov 21st, 2003, 2:45am »

During an 8 week cycle after about 3 weeks my left shoulder and the left side of my neck hurts (my CH are on the left side).  I just thought the neck/shoulder pain was from scrunching my eye into the pillow/hand/etc.  Don’t know now.  Went to a chiropractor who said my left shoulder/neck was “screwed up” he worked on it but only a little better for a few days.  I’m with Thomas tho I have a very high pain tolerance.  Not much bothers me, I look at other pain as just being annoying.  
IP Logged
suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Love is friendship set on fire

suzy617
Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 21st, 2003, 4:31am »

One of my cycles years ago, I would lay in bed everynight and within minutes the back of my neck would start hurting and right after that...wham!  
Most of my hits now begin while I'm sleeping so I must just sleep thru the neck thingy.

Suzy
IP Logged

When God measures men, He puts the tape around the heart, not the head.
TerryS
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 21st, 2003, 8:04am »

Oh yeah......I get neck pain! Left side and it go's up to my left tempo were there it starts to burn and feels like a muscle cramp. Had MRI no help. If my insurance co. will approve the cost my Dr. would like to try Botox injection. So far nothing has been approved.

God bless,
TerryS
IP Logged

> It is only a tiny rosebud,
> A flower of God's design;
> But I cannot unfold the petals
> With these clumsy hands of mine.
> The secret of unfolding flowers
> Is not known to such as I.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss