Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 7:25am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « George Bush UK visit »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   George Bush UK visit
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: George Bush UK visit  (Read 313 times)
SteveY
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

Pain is a state of mind, my mind says it F** Hurts

srichards1958
Email

George Bush UK visit
« on: Nov 19th, 2003, 3:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am appauled by the way a very small minority of the UK population have responded to your President's visit.

Whether you like George Bush or not, he is the president of the US and should be treated as such.

If you do not respect the man, respect the office.

Tomorrow there are an expected 100,000 anti war/ Bush campaigners expected to march through central London, that represents 0.00156 of the British public!

The vast majority of us Brits "Love you Guys" please do not tar us all in the same vein as a few dickheads.

I suppose you have your fair share of them too.

God bless America and the UK!

ps Michael Jackson handed himself in yet?

Steve Y
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

Re: George Bush UK visit
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 3:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

hey Steve

You and I were posting at the same time.

Suspect we aren't coming from the same direction though!

Agree though, God Bless America, the most powerful nation on earth

Wendy
IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 3:34pm »

on Nov 19th, 2003, 3:21pm, SteveY wrote:

ps Michael Jackson handed himself in yet?

Steve Y

No he is hiding our here in Vegas.  But you would think that even with his looks the drag queens down town could not hide him or long.  crackup
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
thomas

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 3:40pm »

Thanks Steve.  From a true American.
IP Logged
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 3:46pm »

Wow...well said Steve!!!  Cool

God Bless America & UK

Cathy
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

Jackie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go For It!!!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 6:27pm »

Thank you, Steve.
I might not be a big George Bush fan and don't agree with some of his policy...... but he is the president of our country and deserves respect.  
Oh.....I think Tony Blair is great and hate the disrespect he's getting and  the hard road he's on right now....

As to the French..... moon

Jacks Cool
IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 6:34pm »

Cool
Thanks Steve.......

I am a "True Blue American"..........I love my Country, and have the utmost respect for the Office of the President.

I must say........to be in the home of the Queen of England must be an awesome experience.

God bless your great Country........and know that I have the utmost respect for your leaders, also.

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Marc
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 8:42pm »

Steve,

Thank you - you've reminded us that there are still some intelligent, caring people in the UK.
IP Logged
jonny

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 8:56pm »

Thanks Steve,

I think its pretty safe to say with the size difference between our countries that the US has many more dickheads........LMMFAO Grin

BTW....next time David blaine comes to the UK you have my permission to kill him.....LOL Grin

.........................................jonny
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 10:38pm »

I'm with the ones who like America and like Bush about as much as the French do.  

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 10:50pm »

Charlie

oops See, I'm learning. I have written 300 times "I must not take the piss out of GWB" and I think I might be cured!

Jonny

re David Blaine. That was pretty funny, there were loads of people queueing up to  moonwiggle at him, every night people took their takeaways there so he could watch them eating, and several couples were arrested having public sex to wind him up.

Very very bad people the Brits Grin
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2003, 2:49am by pubgirl » IP Logged
goaway
New Board Veteran
USA 

"Things take longer than they do."

« Reply #11 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 12:03am »

Thanks Steve!!

God bless us all.
IP Logged

"If you get robbed by worry,.....it was an 'inside' job."

"...runnin' with the shadow...runnin' with the shadow..."

"We don't rent pigs."
Callico
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Proud Dad of a US Marine!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 12:29am »

Thank you Steve.

I don't agree with the president in everything, but I stand behind him one hundred percent.  I respect  a man who will stand up for what he believes whether I agree or not.   For the same reason I have the utmost of respect for Tony Blair.  He and I disagree on more than we agree on, but he is a man who knows what he stands for, and if he was over here running for office I would probably vote for him.  God bless the United States and Great Britain!  (That last part is kind of hard for an Irishman to say! laugh Grin )
IP Logged

"When He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him; He turns on the right I cannot see Him. But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me I shall come forth as gold." Job23:9,10
KenB
New Board Veteran
Ireland 

Sometimes it feels like this

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 2:37am »

Is this thread a joke or are you all actually being serious?  I can't work it out.  Huh
IP Logged

Who was the first person to realise you could get milk from a cow - and what did he think he was doing at the time?
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 2:44am »

I thought Steve was serious, but I personally lost the plot a bit when David Blaine was mentioned as I find it hard to take him as seriously as he takes himself Grin
IP Logged
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 2:57am »

Thank you for this post, Steve.  It helps us to see the percentage of the population that is protesting.  Glad to hear that the majority of the UK's population is still with us, regardless of their personal feelings about our president.

Thank you.  There are some good Brits over there.  We try not to hold citizens like Cathy against you ... heehee ...

Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
KenB
New Board Veteran
Ireland 

Sometimes it feels like this

Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 3:18am »

Hmmm - interesting argument - 100,000 people protest so you reckon that therefore the remainder of the population support the war/Bush????   How many have marched in support of the war?
IP Logged

Who was the first person to realise you could get milk from a cow - and what did he think he was doing at the time?
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 3:28am »

Oh, I feel this thread becoming more serious!

I think the truth is that prior to the War there was a substantial majority in favour of supporting the USA. Once the War started the support dropped quite substantially and the demo's commenced in earnest. Would need to check the latest polls here for figures but suspect the support had dropped similarly in the USA.
Tony Blair's popularity has mirrored this too.

People here get pretty jingoistic until soldiers start dying, then they start the second thoughts.

W

Modified: All the most recent polls appear to suggest varying figures around 50/50, 60/40. Dramatic reduction in support when UN did not declare full support
Would be interested what the USA figs are
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2003, 3:45am by pubgirl » IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 3:37am »

Here is a factual report from one of the Broadsheets about the demo's. It doesn't make us look too good really but I love the "Resist Bush Tea Party" - SO British.

Interesting that Ron Kovac was there too Huh

A series of demonstrations against President George Bush's state visit passed almost without incident yesterday as a huge security operation kept him mostly out of sight and earshot of the protesters.  
More than 4,000 police officers were on duty and by 7pm they had made just 29 arrests for criminal damage, carrying offensive weapons, possession of drugs, theft, assault and public order offences.  

One man was found with a sword in his car and was arrested on suspicion of possessing an offensive weapon, drink driving and possession of drugs.  

The most likely flashpoint of the day - a Resist Bush Tea Party outside Buckingham Palace billed as a mass demonstration of civil disobedience and direct action - was easily contained by the large number of police lining the Mall.  

The day had begun with well-wishers and the world's media outnumbering protesters as Mr Bush was introduced to the Queen and Tony Blair.  

Alongside placards declaring him a war criminal and enemy of peace were other, more positive messages. Kay Moult, 25, from London, was wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with the message "Luv Ya Dubya".  

"People think I'm sad or mad or both," said Ms Moult, from London. "But we invited him here and he is fighting for peace so I just wanted to show him my support."  

Anti-war protesters did manage to make their voices heard. As Mr Bush was introduced to dignitaries, demonstrator Joe Gittings produced a loudhailer and heckled him until he was drowned out by the band playing the US national anthem.  

Mr Gittings, 32, a physics PhD student, said: "This is a completely immoral and unjustified war that is already having disastrous consequences."  

Among the crowd of a few hundred at the palace were many American visitors. Richard Searle, 42, from California, said: "I want to show my support for America and its people."  

The protests began with an alternative state procession, attended by more than 1,000 protesters, organised by the Stop The War Coalition, complete with peace campaigners dressed as Mr Bush and the Queen, who led the colourful but unstately procession in a horse-drawn carriage.  

The organisers described it as a warm-up for today's march past parliament and up Whitehall for a mass rally in Trafalgar Square. The Stop The War Coalition, Muslim Association of Great Britain and CND hope that more than 100,000 people will take to the streets to signal their disapproval of the state visit.  

As well as the horse-drawn carriage, yesterday's procession included a pink peace tank, a London taxi, several dozen cyclists and a red London bus that carried human shield volunteers to Baghdad before the war started.  

"Bush is so hated that there is no way he could drive through the streets of London even in his armoured car," said Joe Letts, 58, the driver of the bus.  

The procession arrived in Trafalgar Square just before 1pm, and a protester poured red dye into one of the square's fountains to symbolise the blood spilt in the war.  

Victoria station was the starting point for the Buckingham Palace tea party processions, organised by Resist Bush, an umbrella organisation spearheaded by several well-known peace and anti-globalisation groups, including Justice Not Vengeance and Grass Roots Opposition to War.  

By 5pm there were several hundred protesters outside the palace. But mostly the demonstrations seemed good hearted.  

As darkness fell several small scuffles broke out between police and protesters as officers jumped over barriers to confiscate a sound system that had been blaring rap music in the direction of Buckingham palace. There were cheers as an American flag was burned.  

Last night the mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, mobilised figures from showbusiness, politics and diplomacy to highlight his opposition to the state visit and the war on Iraq.  

He staged a Peace Reception on the top floor of City Hall, where a crowd of 200 heard speeches condemning Mr Bush and his administration.  

The principal guest was Ron Covic, the Vietnam veteran turned anti-war activist whose experiences inspired the film Born on the Fourth of July.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss