Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 9:31am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New Fireplace too smokey in house..NOT CH related »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   New Fireplace too smokey in house..NOT CH related
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Fireplace too smokey in house..NOT CH related  (Read 745 times)
Lori
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

New Fireplace too smokey in house..NOT CH related
« on: Nov 15th, 2003, 1:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Can anyone give a little advice on having a safe fire?? Yeah, this may sound so stupid but I really need advice, please Undecided Ok, I've lived in Central Florida many years..never had a fireplace..never had one growing up either in Connecticut (needed one!) and now after 3 years break in the Virginia mountains (needed one then too) I am in Northern Florida. Well, it gets colder here so the fireplace will come in handy. Tonight it was cold for it..so lit it up for the first time (renting 10yr old home) and man the fire got REAL hot and it seemed to smell a bit too smokey in the house. Could it be the wood? (My husband just picked up these logs from God only knows where) or should I have let one log almost burn out before putting two more on?? OR is it something else? It's our first time lighting a fireplace (and hubby fell asleep) so, it just doesn't seem like it should smell so smokey and it was REAL hot! So, what did I do wrong? Man, I thought a nice fire would be easy enough! Maybe I should buy special logs from the store?? HELP!
IP Logged

Blessings and PFDAN,
Lori

Psalm 23:4 ~ Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: New Fireplace too smokey in house..NOT CH rela
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 1:21am »

Did you adjust the flu damper to get the correct draft?

It also gets cold here. You can try what we do...........

set the thermostat higher.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Lori
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 1:24am »

LOL..yeah we turned the heat on for the first time last night..but the fire is for atmosphere! We opened the flu all the way up! Is that not right?? How would you know if it's right?
IP Logged

Blessings and PFDAN,
Lori

Psalm 23:4 ~ Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 1:25am »

Most likely the flue was open, or the smoke would have driven you out of the house, so you were good there.  Anytime you have a fire, you will get some smoke or burning wood smell in the house (part of the charm of them).  Depending on the design of the fireplace, you may have a slight problem with the draft.  Some fireplaces need to have the fire at the very back of the fireplace.  With a good draft, you don't have to worry, but you don't know how well it is built.  The longer the fire burns, the better the draft.  

The type of wood that you burn is important.  Do not burn any type of pine wood.  The pine has a lot of pitch in it, and that will collect in the chimney and eventually cause a chimney fire.  You can use pine (scrap 2X4's or such, but NEVER use pressure treated wood) in order to start the fire.  Once your fire is started, use hard woods.  They burn longer, and cleaner.  If you can get apple wood, you will have a marvelous fire that smells super!  Oak, maple, and elm are good woods to burn.

If you let the fire get down to just one log that is bairly burning, you get almost no heat, as a mater of fact, there are those that feel that causes you to loose heat, as it is taking too much from the room, than what it is generating, and all that heat goes up the chimney.  Keep a few pieces going, and make sure you keep it to the rear to make sure the smoke does not get into the room.  Sometimes, people will even crack a window to let fresh air into the room and to improve the draft.

I hope this helps, and you get to enjoy the heat and beauty of your fireplace.

Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
Callico
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Proud Dad of a US Marine!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 1:29am »

Two suggestions.  As Bob asked, check the damper in the chimney to be sure it is open enough for the smoke to go out.  Also make sure there is nothing in the chimney that would block the smoke, such as bird nests or animal nests.

The second is a little more complicated, and you will need someone a little more knowledgeable.  Be sure your chimney is high enough to provide a good draft.  A lot of times builders will not put the chimney high enough to clear the ridge line of the house and the chimney will not get enough air movement over it to draw the smoke out.

It doesn't make a lot of difference what kind of wood you use as long as it is dry.  Wet or green wood will tend to smoke more than dry, cured wood.  You will have to experiment with how much wood to put on the fire to determine how much is to much.  That is totally trial and error.

Enjoy!  I have not had a fireplace since I moved back up north, and I miss it!

jc
IP Logged

"When He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him; He turns on the right I cannot see Him. But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me I shall come forth as gold." Job23:9,10
Lori
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 1:37am »

Thank you guys for the help! I really do appreciate it. I sure hope there wasn't a nest or animal in my chimney! YUK! I think it would be dead by now though. I would like to enjoy the fireplace but don't want to burn the house down! So, thank you and we'll experiment a bit to see if we can get it figured out.  thumbsup

Thanks again!!!
IP Logged

Blessings and PFDAN,
Lori

Annette_Emond
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Family Member

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 9:19am »

Quote:
It's our first time lighting a fireplace (and hubby fell asleep)

My concern here is possible carbon monoxide!  Please have someone who is knowledgeable check out your fireplace before using it again!
Annette
IP Logged

Happiness runs in a circular motion..
you can sometimes come back around to what you thought was done.
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 9:47am »

on Nov 15th, 2003, 1:07am, Lori wrote:
... I am in Northern Florida. Well, it gets colder here so the fireplace will come in handy...

on Nov 15th, 2003, 1:21am, BobG wrote:
It also gets cold here.
  (Las Vegas)

geeze  ---  you people crack me up!!!!! crackup

on Nov 15th, 2003, 1:07am, Lori wrote:
...It's our first time lighting a fireplace (and hubby fell asleep)...

Seriously, Annette is right.  It might just be a coincidence, but you should really check it out.

just basking in a balmy 16F this morning,
grant        Cool
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 10:46am »

Hey Lori,
Have ya ever had the chimney swept?  It's a good idea to call the chimney people and have em check out the fireplace.  We do it every couple of years - just had ours swept out - it costs $45.00.

After chimney is cleaned and checked out, make sure good quality seasoned wood.

Smiley
IP Logged
FrankF
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 10:51am »

on Nov 15th, 2003, 1:21am, BobG wrote:
Did you adjust the flu damper to get the correct draft?

It also gets cold here. You can try what we do...........

set the thermostat higher.

South Los Angeles on Thursday...

IP Logged
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 10:55am »

on Nov 15th, 2003, 10:51am, FrankF wrote:

South Los Angeles on Thursday...

no shit!!!!    waaaaay to funny! Grin
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

To burn or not to burn.......
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 1:52pm »

on Nov 15th, 2003, 1:37am, Lori wrote:
I would like to enjoy the fireplace

Enjoyment is about all a fireplace is good for.  Fireplaces suck.....as in REALLY suck......lots of air out of the room and up the chimney.
Put a set of glass doors on the roach. You'll get full visual effect, won't have to fool around w/opening - closing the damned damper, no worries about rampant sparks flying out onto the rugs, little or no smoke kick back, and you won't have cold downdrafts the next morning after the fire burns out.
Always remember that a clean chimney is a happy chimney.

Fire in the hole,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 2:42pm »

Word of warning to clusterheads - yes this CAN be CH related!!

When a fire is starting, it does tend to suck oxygen out of the room.  This can be a trigger situation for clusterheads.  Mike's had more than a few attacks start this way, when we've lit a fire in the fireplace.  ALWAYS open a window or a door in the early stages of a fire.

Just food for thought and a reminder at this time of year.

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Whomever said that two heads are better than one?

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 2:49pm »

The L.A. Pic has gotta be a fluke..............it'll be 78 by the end of the weekend. I STILL think it was a cocaine dealers misfortune to let all that product go to waste. Grin (costly no doubt)

Cold in Florida and Vegas LMMFAOROTF!!!!!!! laugh

When the temps drop below 0 with a 25 MPH wind then talk to me about cold.......even better yet ask a Canadian what COLD is.

Ramon
IP Logged

I would rather face the end with terror than terror without end. - (Deitrich Sawatsky 194?)
don

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 4:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Remove dead raccoons from flu.
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #15 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 5:26pm »

Hey.....who ARE the chimney people anyway Cheesy  Weird job when ya tink about it Grin  

Who was the first "chimney guy"? Huh  

Mary Poppins
IP Logged
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 5:37pm »

on Nov 15th, 2003, 5:26pm, kim wrote:
Who was the first "chimney guy"? Huh

ummmmm.....    Santa Claus?

IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 7:15pm »

Hard to add to this.  

Hap is right. Fireplaces can be a pain in the ass. They keep you on your toes all damn day.

Dampers and screens are big things and don't use fire starter stuff.  

Charlie

IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 7:33pm »

LMAO

Hey Frank,

Nice pix

Marshmellow factory explode?
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Little Deb
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Please SPAY and NEUTER all dogs, cats and idiots!

debbie4278  
WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 7:33pm »

Wow Chuck,  
you covered it all! Did you teach a class in boyscouts or WHAT!!!

I will add that I heard....the logs you buy at the store, like Duraflames, are bad for the chimney, they clog them.
They are romantic though! Kiss

I have a propane fireplace. No logs, no sparks, no smoke, and a ton of heat!  And pretty.
And a nice $200.00 bill in the winter! Cry Cry  per month.

Buy a CO2 detector.

And some marshmellows.  We'll be over....

Deb
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2003, 7:35pm by Little Deb » IP Logged

Adopt a shelter pet!
Lori
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #20 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 7:40pm »

Yeah Ramon, I KNOW it's not cold like in the North Pole or anything..believe me I like my cold compared to yours.  Cheesy

Charlie..cute chimney.

Thanks again everyone for the help. It's warm again, so no fire tonight!

Have a great weekend
IP Logged

Blessings and PFDAN,
Lori

forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #21 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 8:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

MMMMMMMMMMM Most fireplaces in homes fifteen years or younger are better suited for gas logs. Most are too small to deal with a real fire. Anything less than 24" deep, 24" high and 30" wide is a ?. MMMMMMMMMM happy is right, you recieve zero heat from most of em cause most of it goe's up in smoke.  

Lee Wink
IP Logged
Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 9:01pm »

Lori,
  As other have said fireplaces and all wood burning devices use a lot of air. Try this start the fire and let it get hot, then open a window near the fireplace a crack, if you can feel the air rush in or even whistle then you have found your problem. Most houses that have been tightened up will not have enough air leakage to keep them going. The solution to the problem is to provide a air source from out side that can be opened while using the fire place.

Opus/Paul
IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

OLD wood heat...
« Reply #23 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 9:19pm »

on Nov 15th, 2003, 9:01pm, Opus wrote:
The solution to the problem is to provide a air source from out side that can be opened while using the fire place.

Down to the heart of the matter, at last. Any true fireplace is spacious,  plenty of chimney draft.....and a "Back Door" intake.........an outside outlet that intakes air from the back....not the front (ie: yer house).  True art.
Heatilators are a whole nuther venture in the true fireplace. The air cavities created that run from the floor to 4-X feet high........built into the brick/stone, etc......that heat as the fireplace burns........suck in cold room air from the floor, and convect it back out higher up. Dang near makes a fireplace worth while.

Haven't seen one in 30 years,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Lori
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #24 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 11:27pm »

Man! I'm impressed! See, this is why I asked you all this question! I knew I would get help. You all sure know a ton about fireplaces.  Wink

Deb..I am going to get a co2 detector because we also have a gas furnace. We have always had all electric in the past, so this is a little new to us. I hate gas! Always afraid the house could blow up.
IP Logged

Blessings and PFDAN,
Lori

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss