Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 9:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hi I'm new too »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hi I'm new too
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hi I'm new too  (Read 293 times)
HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Let's try and find some ANSWERS!

Email

Hi I'm new too
« on: Nov 15th, 2003, 12:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi folks,

Here's one supporter from the Netherlands. I'm searching the internet all over the world to find usefull information on clusterheadaches. My hubby's got it, I've been looking at the Kip scale on this site and unfortunately I should conclude he's got 6-8 "big one" (scale 9 or 10) each day. Now most of you will know that clusterheadache is a terror but it's a terror too to have to watch his pain and agony and not being able to do something or help out. When it starts again, I just turn down the lights, turn off the music, get him his water, get him his ice, endure his cursing (usually at my address), rub his back, and hand him his injector if he can't shake it off. That's all I can do and it was unbearable. His last cluster lasted 13 weeks, OHMYGOD, this was terrible!  

Oh by the way: we tried EVERYTHING from eating ginger, the water treatment, oxygen (helps only a little) ...  Embarassed

So after "suffering" through the whole ordeal 3 times I thought what the heck, I'm going to TRY and do something about it.  So I started an education in alternative ways of treating people, homeopathy, herbs, Chinese treatment, stuff like that.

It hasn't gotten us so far that his headaches would go away, but we DID succeed in getting rid of them for just a few days in a row, which would give us sometimes 8, sometimes 12, and sometimes 3 DAYS of blessed piece of mind, UNDISTURBED SLEEP and cosy coffee hours ...  Smiley.  

Then usually the headaches would gradually come back and I had to go out on the look again to find something new. As I type this, we just had 3 days of rest again (ow, what luxury  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes), with only a single light attack during the last night, but tonight he had two (still mild) attacks, so I'm pretty sure in a day I will have to look for something else.  

I checked into this site, because I would like to learn MORE about the disease, not only because I will be able to help my own hubby better, but also because I might be able to relief - perhaps only temporary but hey one night of sleep is yippee too - other CH-sufferers in the future when I have started my practise.

Sometimes hubby and I joke about this together and say: whenever I open my practise, CH-sufferers are:
* Always first
* Pay only half (because they're broke already)
* Probably come back every 3d day for new remedies

Now I would like to do my thesis on CH too (ofcourse). It would be a holistic view on CH. But I don't want to write something that is not thorougly documented.

So what I would like to know is:
* How many of you would be willing to fill in a form for me to allow me to document my thesis with background info? It would be about all sorts of secondary info: gender, if you're a smoker, but also about typical charasteristics, like the colour of your hair, likes and dislikes in food, such stuff. It would be quite a list, because I need a lot of detail to analyse it homeopathically!
* HOw many of you make a headache diary and who would like to share this with me?
* Does anyone know how I can get my hands on good CH research info????? There has been a big research going on in The Netherlands, but I can't find the report anywhere. Nor can I find research data in other countries.

I'm curious if this will get me somewhere, in The Netherlands where I live CH-sufferers are usually not so keen on alternative treatments.

IP Logged
tsayswhy
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

Email

Re: Hi I'm new too
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 1:14am »

Hello and welcome hannah

You will find so much info on cluster here just click on the left and start reading.

i would be willing to fill out the form.  

HALF PRICE be carefull you may end up with us all down there when you open up laugh

wishing your husband pf

tari
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2003, 1:15am by tsayswhy » IP Logged

if you are going my way---i will walk with you
Lori
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 1:28am »

Hope your husband gets relief soon from his pain. I don't know what it's like to watch (be on the other side) but I'm sure it's hard on you too. There is a supporters board here too that might be helpful for you. Wishing you both well and PF days!
IP Logged

Blessings and PFDAN,
Lori

Psalm 23:4 ~ Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Callico
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Proud Dad of a US Marine!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 1:41am »

Hi and welcome!  As the others have said, there is a lot of information available here and on the OUCH board as well.  Read,read,read, and then there will still be more available to read.  You will find a lot of us have tried the alternative routes, most with little or no success.  I don't know of anyone though who has cataloged the successes and failures, so your work could be very helpful.  One other idiosynchrasy or CH is that it appears that no two of react the same way to it nor do we react alike to the treatments.  What works for one will not do anything for another.  I would be most willing to fill out your form when you have it finished.  Drop me an e-mail and let me know what you need.

Have your husband get involved with us as well.  there is a lot for him to be able to glean from the board, and it is always helpful to have another participating.  The supporters corner would be very helpful to you as his supporter.  God bless you for being there for him.  I know a lot of times it is worse for my wife than for me trying to deal with my HA's.

Jerry
IP Logged

"When He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him; He turns on the right I cannot see Him. But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me I shall come forth as gold." Job23:9,10
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 5:00am »

Welcome to Clusterville.... there's loads of information here - go to the left and click on and start reading.

I've tried most of the homapathic stuff and, like your hubby, got some relief - sometime and then it was off to something else.  

Will be glad to fill out your form when you get it ready. There are several survey's already up here if you want to look through them....  

Have you tried the water treatment?  It seems to work for some and O2 works really well on a lot of people.  

But we ARE all different and react differently to most things.

Lots of Hugs coming from Texas and hope you have some PF days soon.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

tinyhuey
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 5:27am »

Welcome to CH, I was reading your message and was wondering. What does your hubby use the ice for? I have suffered for 16 yrs and I sure would fill out your form.My hubby is GREAT, I just wish he didn't have to see me in so much pain. But without caregivers ( as yourself) I'm not sure if we could endure.I get them like your hubby, mine lasts for days not just hours.  Cry Cry  bomb and Thank God for care givers.
IP Logged
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 6:57am »

Hannah Welcome to the board, there is also a great supporters board go check it out....wishing your Hubby PF times...good luck with the Homeopathy practice...

Cathy
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Email

Still going well
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 9:05am »

Smiley

Hi back all

Thanks for replying to my post. It seems that some of you would not mind to fill in a questionaire, I would be MOST GRATEFULL if you would, but I warn you in advance, it would be a LOT of questions.

First I will have to WRITE the questionaire though and discuss it with my mentor at school; I'm sure it would not be sufficient to just "throw a couple 'a questions together" and call it a questionaire or a survey. So it will take some time before I have it finished. When I made it, I will report back with it and send it by email. But I'm so happy that people are willing to do this! It will allow me to investigate and research this subject thoroughly and perhaps find some conclusions and keys to natural treatment. Because some of you will know, that relief is usually only temporary and it doesn't bring very much (and costs a lot of money too). Therefore, more knowledge of natural treatment is necassary , I'm convinced it is possible for some sufferers to treat it or relief it (perhaps only a few), but it's very personal and very difficult.

I will surely check out the surveys on this site, but theres so much info I hardly know where to start  Roll Eyes. I have been reading all I could get my hands on if it's about clusterheadache, but this is the first time I hit this site. Yes we have tried the water treatment, he's still on it, though it doesn't help one bit. Yes, we have tried oxygen. Yes, taking peppers too, or ginger, or other stuff, did not try mushrooms or pot. Imigran (I think that would be the same as imitrex) helps, but ....  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes the worries to get them !!!!!!! I have almost KILLED pharmacy assistens because they just refused me the imigran even if I had a doctor's recipee for 8 , they sometimes will give me only 2 and say "come back monday after I've discussed it with your doctor" ... and you are facing a weekend full of attacks , needing about 18 injections and you have only 2  Huh Huh Huh ... how am I to prevent him from jumping out of the window? He really gets insane with the pain, he tears the place down! The dutch imigran is impossible to open so you can use a third. He would consider the hospital but not anymore, he's been taken there twice and both times he ended up with a MEDICINE-POISENING, it almost killed him!

By now they know me at the pharmacy ..... HAAH!!! And they KNOW now that they should not mess with me and discuss these medicines because I will go to WAR to get them for him.

By the way ... we're still going well over here! Since we started the homopathy again, with some new remedies, he has had 3 attacks in total, and only mild ones. And that's over about 3 days! So not bad at all, normally it would be about 18 at least, and big number 10's among those too. I'm trying to keep my hopes up that this time I will be able to break through it and end the cluster, it's looking good for now, and he's feeling very well, but hey, you never know.  

Keep your fingers crossed for us. And good luck to all of you who are suffering these terrible pains. I hope one day I will be able to help some of you, I would surely hope so, because no one should endure pains like this!
IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 9:10am »

Welcome to Clusterville.... there's loads of information here
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 9:49am »

I really do not understand why your pharmacy does not complete the doctor's RX for imitrex in the quantity you need.  Does not work that way in the U.S.  Try another pharmacy?  As far as pot goes, it is the believe here that pot will trigger a CH as does alcohol.  

Anyway, you might want to try Melatonin.....really cheap @9mg one hour before bedtime.  It has help some people here (like me); not helped others, marginal help for some.  See the recent post on Melatonin on this board.

Smiley
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #10 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 10:26am »

Beste Hannah, dear hannah

I am a sufferer from the Netherlands as well.

Could you tell us what sort of school you are attending and what the degree is that you are studying for?
I would like to know what I am doing the work for...

There is a general feeling here that body particulars
(hair colour, skin texture etc.) have nothing to do with getting clusters. Also, that smoking, what most clusterheads do, has nothing to do with causing clusters.  

Contrary to migraines most triggers (apart from alcohol, which is NOT universal) are very personal, e.g. smells of perfume or manure, MSG (ve-tsin) liquorice etc., hard excercise, heat, cold...

I know of people in the Netherlands who have tried the imitrex tip (pushing the plunger 1/3 of the way with a Q-tip - wattenstokje). Do try again.

Lastly, being in the Netherlands you may be doubly lucky, for check this out www.clusterbusters.com
Shroms may be had at smart shops just aropund the corner.

I have used the shroom method and it helped me a lot.
good luck
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Email

some answers
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 10:52am »

Firstly I forgot to answer the question about the ice: my husband uses ice to put on his head, eye and nose to sooth the pain just a little bit. It does not abort the attack.

I told him about the melatonine possibility, BUT Ive heard bad stories about it too. Anyone here?

Then about the questionaire. The only purpose of the questionaire would be: INFO!!! I am not trying to generalise, or to find THE solution to cluster headaches. The reason why I would ask about things like colour of your hair, smoking, alcohol or other things would not be to pinpoint THE type of person that would get cluster headache, but to find more about the homeopathic picture that would match this particular person or group of persons. It would give me a chance to find similarities in perhaps a couple of person, and there is a possiblity it would lead me to a remedy that might help someone.  

The school I am attending is a private school, which tries to combine regular knowledge to alternative ways of treating. So we study a lot of anatomy, physiology, pathology and such, and besides that we learn to treat the chronically ill with herbs, homeopathic remedies and orthomoleculars.  

I am NOT stating that I think I-can-help-cluster-patients, but I think some more research on this area will not harm anyone. The school I attend is cooperating with Dr. Ferrari in Leiden, Dr. Ferrari is looking at the regular picture, we are looking at the alternative picture.  

Therefore I hope there are people who are willing to fill out the questionaires. There's nothing in it for those who do, perhaps only the thought that you might have helped a single person, by leading me to the remedy that might relief someone in the future, if only for a day  Undecided.  Undecided  Undecided

IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 11:06am »

I don't care if you're studying political science, I'll fill it out!   Grin
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
drnoe

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 11:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Hannah and welcome,
 Y'know, we were just talking about the need for another survey. You're just in time.
 Nice to meet you and I look forward to getting to know  you and your husband.  
 ciao
Dan
IP Logged
HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Email

just to give an example
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 11:53am »

It's hard to explain why I would like you to fill out so many questions, and it's even harder to describe the how and why of homeopathy, so JUST to give you an example ....

I had been reading all the books I own about homeopathy, I've even spent nights, staying up reading(couldn't sleep anyway with that rackass going on in my living room  Sad). I had tried some remedies on Jos, my hubby, with very little effect.

Then we had a lesson at school about pharmacy. We had to study some medicines that help for migraines, so ofcourse I opened the CH/section too, and read about the medicines that are given. I read that sometimes calcium channel blockers are prescribed and it helps SOME CH-sufferers. The next time at school, we had homeopathy, and we had to study some homeopathic remedies. One of those was a remedy that could be given in calcium problems of the body. Now I would never have considered that remedy for Jos, but now my interest was triggered because of what I read about the calcium blockers. So I asked a lot of questions in class, and learnt to take a different view to this very remedy.

At home I studied it some more, and at last I tried it on Jos (ofcourse after his consent). He was having 8 attacks at that time (I hadn't come up with a new helpful thing at that point). After giving him the calc.carb. he stayed free of his attacks for almost 24 hours. Then the attacks came back gradually

But boy, were these 24 hours like HEAVEN to us!!!  laugh

See, the only thing I want is getting CLUES about what might help people. Perhaps only temporary, but it's a soft and curative way of treating, you don't have the bad side effects then if on any ordinary medication. So I consider this 24 hours as a nice present  Wink, and perhaps one day I will find more answers to less temporary remedies?

As I'm writing this, unfortunately hubby's just had a next attack. I think it will come back, I will have to try and look some more if I can come up with the next one, darn, I wish I could find the PROPER one that "does the trick". I would eat half my arm to relieve him from this pain.

PS DO NOT TRY ANY HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES MENTIONED SOMEWHERE ON YOURSELF. YOU COULD VERY WELL MAKE THINGS WORSE, BECAUSE HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES ACT STRONGLY IN THE OVERLY EXCITED BODIES OF CLUSTER HEADACHE SUFFERERS! AKS A SKILLED HOMEOPATH FIRST!
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2003, 4:45am by HannahFroukje » IP Logged
Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Whomever said that two heads are better than one?

Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 2:59pm »

Awwwww, hell, I'm willing to fill out the form. A little writing can't hurt anything, besides, its gonna further your education right?

Ramon
IP Logged

I would rather face the end with terror than terror without end. - (Deitrich Sawatsky 194?)
HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 4:16pm »

on Nov 15th, 2003, 2:59pm, Cerberus wrote:
Awwwww, hell, I'm willing to fill out the form. A little writing can't hurt anything, besides, its gonna further your education right?

Ramon

Yep ... THAT TOO!
Definately.

I've started writing the questionnaire by now, hubby will be the first volunteer to fill it out, and will help me to fill in the gaps.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss