Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 11:33am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Off Target??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Off Target???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Off Target???  (Read 305 times)
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

Off Target???
« on: Nov 11th, 2003, 1:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Am I off target here? Do I have a right to be a little ANGRY???

Today is Operation UPLINK day @ my firm and people sell flag buttons for $5.00 and use that money to purchase phone cards for the troops. Here's the kicker. My firm associates Jean Day with it. We don't get the day off but we earn the right to wear jeans "IF" we buy a button.

Two secretaries, whom I know well but are just young kids...23/24 yrs old, stopped me in the pantry and asked, "Where are your jeans?" I replied, "I don't need jeans to show my support."  They laughed and said "Geez, it's just an excuse to wear them."

I explained my displeasure of association of Jean Day with Veterans Day last year to our HR Director to which she replied that we don't mean to offend anyone. What happened today is EXACTLY what I said would happen. People forget the true meaning of Veterans Day and now know it as Jean Day @ Finnegan, Henderson, Farrabow, Garrett, & Dunner, LLP. Yeah, I spelled out my firm name because I am a vet and I don't care what they do to me!

Shit I'm angry.  

Phew! I feel better. Rant over.
TomM
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2003, 1:41pm by TomM » IP Logged

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
--Thoreau--
Boots
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Re: Off Target???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 1:41pm »

TomM,you didn't serve "just for an excuse"?some ppl just don't get it do they ?
IP Logged

Don't feed me sorrow,pain is the poison i digest
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 1:42pm »

Apparently I did. LOL.

Boots--thanks. YOu make me laugh and now the anger is gone.
IP Logged

--Thoreau--
Boots
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 1:52pm »

TomM,please help...Do you work for a bunch of long legged people.Not sure what llp stands for???
----------Bill
IP Logged

Don't feed me sorrow,pain is the poison i digest
maggie_may
New Board Veteran
USA 

maggie_may_12   ladydeth12
Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 2:00pm »

It really is a shame.  People have forgotten what today is really all about, and like I said in another thread - use it as an excuse to take the day off from work and go shopping, or in your case, wear jeans to work.  It sucks and makes me ANGRY!

Please don't think all 23/24 yr olds think this way.  I'm 25 and I get it completely.

You've got LLP, we've got LLC - and I have no idea what either one means  Roll Eyes

maggie
IP Logged

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Mahatma Gandhi

The human spirit is stronger than anything that happens to it. - C.C. Scott
thomas

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 2:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Limited liability practice and limited liability corporation.
IP Logged
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 3:23pm »

Mine is Limited Liability Partnership. Ass in Lawyer partners. Can't swing a dead cat in this town with out hittin' a lawya! Oops, I'm married to one. [Don't work with her, though.]

long legged people? No, but a bunch of short men with short men disease, if you know what I mean.

« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2003, 7:56pm by TomM » IP Logged

--Thoreau--
thomas

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 3:38pm »

I stand corrected Shocked
IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 4:01pm »

No Tom, you did not serve your Country for Jean day. You served your Country so that clueless little bimbos can go to work and so that all of us can find friendsship and support on a site like this without fear or censorship or resprisal.

Tiannia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 4:23pm »

on Nov 11th, 2003, 2:00pm, maggie_may wrote:
It really is a shame.  People have forgotten what today is really all about, and like I said in another thread - use it as an excuse to take the day off from work and go shopping, or in your case, wear jeans to work.  It sucks and makes me ANGRY!
Please don't think all 23/24 yr olds think this way.  I'm 25 and I get it completely.
You've got LLP, we've got LLC - and I have no idea what either one means  Roll Eyes
maggie

Maggie--I realize not all 25 yr olds are that way hell, I was a high school teacher at one point. Just ask any parent about thier kids and they'll tell you not all are the same.

Thank you, Maggie.

on Nov 11th, 2003, 4:01pm, Tiannia wrote:
No Tom, you did not serve your Country for Jean day. You served your Country so that clueless little bimbos can go to work and so that all of us can find friendsship and support on a site like this without fear or censorship or resprisal.

Tiannia

Thank you, Tiannia.  

on Nov 11th, 2003, 3:38pm, thomas wrote:
I stand corrected Shocked

Did not mean it that way. I am not correcting you because what you wrote is correct but my firm is different.
Thank you, Thomas.
The other Tom  

Hey--ever since I updated my critical patches from Billy Gates, the smileys and formating buttons don't work. Anyone have an idea?
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2003, 4:27pm by TomM » IP Logged

--Thoreau--
thomas

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 4:23pm »

No harm taken sir.
IP Logged
ckelly181
New Board Old Timer
USA 

To err is human; To forgive, canine.

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 4:35pm »

We had an AWESOME veteran's day program at our elementary school. The VFW was there in full regalia. One veteran told the story of the flag - just marvelous.

The kids sang patriotic songs. They heard the story of the Vietnam Memorial Wall from a visiting marine. A vietnam vet read a letter from a soldier in Iraq.

What a good thing for kids to see. It was heartfelt and there were lots of tears.

Needs to be more of that in schools.

You are not Off Target AT ALL!!!!

Chris
IP Logged

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
Callico
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Proud Dad of a US Marine!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 12th, 2003, 1:25am »

You are not off target at all.  Unfortunately in many of our schools our kids are not being taught what Veteran's Day is about because it is no longer "politically correct" to espouse mititarism.  BTW, remember the good old days when "political correctness" had to do with communism?

I proudly support our veterans, and am grateful to all whether you were involved in any fighting or whether you served in peacetime.  Those of you who served in peacetime made peace possible.

I did not serve in the armed forces.  My draft number was four when Tricky Dick cut off the draft.  I had arranged to enlist in the Marines, but when the draft was cancelled and we were pulling out of Viet Nam I decided to go to college instead.  I often wish I had served.

jc
IP Logged

"When He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him; He turns on the right I cannot see Him. But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me I shall come forth as gold." Job23:9,10
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss