Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 9:31am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « This REALLY pisses me off! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   This REALLY pisses me off!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: This REALLY pisses me off!  (Read 1586 times)
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

This REALLY pisses me off!
« on: Nov 11th, 2003, 6:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Are you ready to get REALLY PISSED OFF?  Go here:  

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031110/ap_on_bi_ ge/wal_mart_arrests_8

Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
thomas

Email

Re: This REALLY pisses me off!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 8:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You don't even want me to get started on this shit. Lips Sealed Angry
IP Logged
ShariRae
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

83098455 83098455    
Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 8:37am »

Absolute bullshit if this lawsuit goes forward...just my opinion
Huggs
Shari
IP Logged

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
floridian

Email

Yeah, me too!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 9:06am »

Why is America mad at the illegal "working girls" and not at their labor pimps at Walmart?  Who is really driving wages down?? Who is creating the opportunity and incentive for illegals?  Lets punish everybody who broke the law, with the penalties scaled according to the magnitude of the violation.  Jose without a work permit, 1 violation.  Walmart, thousands of violations.  I want to see white collar criminals to do hard time.  And if Walmart (and their contractors Wink  Wink ) don't pay the legally required wages, let them defend themselves in a civil lawsuit.  Their crime in hiring illegal workers doesn't protect them from having to follow other laws.  

IP Logged
Peppermint
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Work it out baby!

172144810 172144810    
Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 9:12am »

Which part pisses you off Chuck?  The part about yet the lawsuit or the part where Walmart hired illegal aliens?
IP Logged

You like apples? How ya like them apples?
When playing in the gym, beware of steel beams. - M. Amyx
Carve your name on hearts, and not on marble. - Charles H. Spurgeon

FYI - I am NOT a clusterhead.
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 9:54am »

Both piss me off!

Neither one is right, IMHO!

WalMart should be severly fined for it, but the illegals should not be able to sue Walmart.

Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

Re: Yeah, me too!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 9:55am »

on Nov 11th, 2003, 9:06am, floridian wrote:
Why is America mad at the illegal "working girls" and not at their labor pimps at Walmart?  Who is really driving wages down??

Unless I misread the article, these folks were contracted which should mean that wally world didn't pay them directily.  Contracted typically means that the company being contracted controls it's employees...benefits, hours and pay.  Seems to me, the contract company is the "labor pimp".
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
thomas

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 9:58am »

However they are not as juicy a plum as Wal-Mart.  The leeches that call themselves attorneys - not lawyers, there is a difference, always go after who has the money, not who is at fault.  Whoops, I got started.
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2003, 10:00am by thomas » IP Logged
Peppermint
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Work it out baby!

172144810 172144810    
Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 10:06am »

right.  There's a LOT wrong with this picture, its not one party, its all the parties involved.  
Yea i think I"ll be shuttin' up about now.  hurl
IP Logged

Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 10:24am »

The implications is now the "company" has to be responsible for the employees of their sub contractors or vendors.  This make the cost of doing business impossible for the average business in the U.S. This is a sue crazy country.

Also, before 9/11 I had illegals under supervision from the courts for various convictions.  I would call the immigration and naturalization service and advise them of their illegal status.  They would tell me that they were not interested unless major felony.

Undecided
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 10:55am »

Quote:
Unless I misread the article, these folks were contracted which should mean that wally world didn't pay them directily.  Contracted typically means that the company being contracted controls it's employees...benefits, hours and pay.  Seems to me, the contract company is the "labor pimp".

Yes, and no.  If I bump into a guy in a van who offers to sell me a nearly new racing bicycle for $50 or a giant color TV for $75, I could be nailed for illegally receiving stolen goods if I make a purchase.  Yes, that's right - I have a responsibility not only to pay for things, but to make reasonable efforts to be sure that I am not buying things procured illegally.  The same standard should be applied to corporations.  

The contractors broke the law first, but that doesn't clear Walmart. The Feds say they have evidence that Walmart officials knew what was going on.   If so, then Walmart is central to the conspiracy.  If not, the situation is analagous to receiving stolen goods.    Especially since this thing has happened to Walmart before, and a prudent corporation would have taken measures to prevent it from happening again.  

« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2003, 11:00am by floridian » IP Logged
sixtyminuteman
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 11:09am »

Agreed Floridian. IMO, these workers are people who have taken a big risk to come here to work in order to give their families a better life. Yes, they're here illegally...so might I be if I were facing what they face back home. And, whether they are here legally or illegally, taking someone's labor and refusing to compensate him for it is theft of the lowest kind. Walmart uses these subcontractors as windowdressing to cover its arse. Sorry--I have no respect for the company and its shenanigans. The way it treats its workers in general is a crime.  Angry   That's my  twocents
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2003, 11:10am by sixtyminuteman » IP Logged
Boots
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 11:29am »

Why do illegal aliens have to come here to work,we just sent them a new Maytag refrigerator plant from central Ill.We lost 1400 jobs at 15 bucks an hour,I read that they will pay the workers there 5 bucks an hour,hell why leave home
--------Bill
IP Logged

Don't feed me sorrow,pain is the poison i digest
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 12:13pm »

on Nov 11th, 2003, 10:55am, floridian wrote:
If not, the situation is analagous to receiving stolen goods.  

So, an illegal alien is a stolen good?  I don't see the correlation.  If wally world knew of all this, I agree...burn em.  If not, I don't see the fault.  In my line of work, we deal with many contractors.  I couldn't imagine asking for a green card from anyone who looks hispanic.  I'm pretty sure eventually, I would get sued for discriminating or harassing.

For the type of business it is, wally world offers some outstanding benefits to its full-time employees...just hard to see them contributing to slave labor.

Oh well, they sue, lawyers get a shitload of cash, and the aliens get somewhere around 1k each and a free ride back home.  They're all happy.  That's what it's about.   Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Boots
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 12:24pm »

wally world and slave labor.........they at 1 time ran 500 factories in china to make stuff to sell in there stores,many were gated compounds that the "full time" employee's were not allowed to leave,the article said they had 300k chinese working for them.America,the land of Mcjob......
--------Bill
IP Logged

Don't feed me sorrow,pain is the poison i digest
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 12:38pm »

Wow, I had no idea they were into international business!  Oh well, live and learn.

Where's that article?  I am curious now.
IP Logged

Brian_Y

Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 12:39pm »

In Pat Buchanan's America, this would never have happened.

Build a HUGE electric Fence (a la Jurassic Park) around the country and Tort Reform would take care of itself!!!

Problem solved!!!

Cheesy
IP Logged
Peppermint
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Work it out baby!

172144810 172144810    
Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 12:55pm »

on Nov 11th, 2003, 12:39pm, Brian_Y wrote:
In Pat Buchanan's America, this would never have happened.

Build a HUGE electric Fence (a la Jurassic Park) around the country and Tort Reform would take care of itself!!!

Problem solved!!!

Cheesy

Sometimes you  have such a rocks-fer-brains. Roll Eyes  Damn B.
IP Logged

Brian_Y

Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 1:04pm »

Main Entry: iro·ny  
Pronunciation: 'I-r&-nE also 'I(-& )r-nE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -nies
Etymology: Latin ironia, from Greek eirOnia, from eirOn dissembler
Date: 1502

1 : a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning -- called also Socratic irony

2 a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or utterance

3 a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity b : incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play -- called also dramatic irony, tragic irony

But a moat would work too.  Fill it full of gators and eels and piranah.  Hoo-boy!!!  They'd stay right where they were if they thought that working for Wal-mart was worth getting a limb chewed off.

America is for Americans!!!!  And lawyers.

You goddamn hippies.     laugh
IP Logged
Peppermint
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Work it out baby!

172144810 172144810    
Email

« Reply #19 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 1:13pm »

keep digging, you got 3 more feet to go.
IP Logged

Brian_Y

Email

« Reply #20 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 1:23pm »

O, and English can only be spoken in public.

And if you are not white, you have to carry your "papers".

It'll be just like Apartheid, but with khaki pants.

Do you understand what I am trying to say?

Does anyone not see the paradox of being upset at Wal-mart and these poor immigrants?  It don't add up.

But, damn, a moat around the country WOULD be cool!!
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2003, 1:25pm by Brian_Y » IP Logged
Virginia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

v49acosta  

« Reply #21 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 1:50pm »

on Nov 11th, 2003, 6:41am, KingOfPain wrote:
The term "illegal" means illegal, doesn't it?

How do illegal, law breaking people have
any right to sue anybody in this country?

Huh

Guess the same way the "illegal"
people get free health care, food,
shelter.........

while hungry, no insurance, unemployed,
American citizens get told "no" everyday.
Yes, some of our fellow CHers get told  
"no" too.

Something is very wrong with
this picture.

Just my opinion.

KingOfPain

I'm with KOP.  What a bunch of crap!  Don't get me started on this subject.  Living in California, this is a problem that runs rampant!

V.
IP Logged

The Clusterhead formerly known as 9erfan.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #22 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 1:51pm »

Don't get me started!   This makes me so mad my blood boils.  I can not believe people who accepted those wages and knew what they were getting paid with and had the right to quit at any time has a right to sue.  This is so stupid. I better shut up or I will really go off. Lips Sealed Lips Sealed
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Brian_Y

Email

« Reply #23 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 1:54pm »

Let me clarify something too while I am at it.

I think that these folks should sue Wal-Mart.  I think they should sue them for all it’s worth.  Wal-Mart is a Moloch and what better example of their slave labor practices exist than the fact they allowed these disenfranchised people to be in this position in the first place because they think they can circumvent the system.  Let this be a lesson to you fans of John Ashcroft and the Patriot Act and whatever anti-immigration nonsense that exists out there.  Eurocentricism is an ugliness that needs to be erased immediately.

My two cents.

He who came from Italian immigrants.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #24 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 2:06pm »

Yeah, but in Jurassic Park, that electrical fence barrier didn't work.  What happens when the solar flares and declining infrastructure investment from deregulation combine to give us the mother of all black-outs??  The fence would fail, and Cheech Marin would raise his arms like the messiah and lead a teeming mass across our failed techo-border like he did in "Born in East L.A."  Better go with the moat.    

I'm not anti-immigration.  But I am in favor of having immigration rules and enforcing them.  Too little immigration and our culture gets stale. The work ethic of first and second generation Americans is far above most of our gen-x/gen-y 'native' mall rats.  Science, medicine, business, and cuisine in the US all benefit from immigration.    

But with too much immigration, people don't assimilate, and we could balkanize.  Yugoslavia is not my model for a multi-cultural society.  Yes, I know that immigrants want their kids to learn English and be sucessful (which definitely happened with my immediate forebears). I am not for slamming the door now that my goldbrick self has made it in.   But when the immigration rate is too high,  the culture can be destabilized.  The larger the enclaves, the slower the assimilation.    

Both the illegal workers and their employers are in the wrong.  I symapthize with the little guy, and want fairness and even some leniency for them.  But I see no paradox in enforcing the rules for everyone.  

PS  - The Boers and Afrikaans did wear khaki.  Contrary to popular belief, it was not invented by the US Banana Republic chain for safari themed posing.  
PPS Can the sharks in the moat have "laser-beams" on their head??
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss