Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 11:30am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Offroading last night (not CH related at all!) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Offroading last night (not CH related at all!)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Offroading last night (not CH related at all!)  (Read 247 times)
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

Offroading last night (not CH related at all!)
« on: Nov 9th, 2003, 3:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just thought I'd share my offroading experience with you guys to share a laugh.  Well we went in my hubby's 1979 Ford F250 truck out in the woods last night.  We followed some friends of a friend (so we didn't know them all too well) down some trail that they knew and we didnt'.  The first trail up then down a mountain wasn't to bad some nice mud holes and bumps and we took it nice and gently (no sense going fast cause then you break something) and that one was a blast!  Then we follow the other vehicle (a jeep cherokee) up the next mountain....started to get a little nerve wracking.  We stop and the guy in the Jeep comes over to talk to us and he tells us he's been down this trail before and we can turn around a little further up if we need to.  Well  the trail was AWFUL and there was nowhere to turnaround at all!!!! eek  Our truck sit's very high but also has a long wheel base and there were these HUGE mounds (more like walls) of dirt with deep ditches in front of them.....we had no choice but to go the rest of the way down the trail.  We got stuck on one of the mounds wheels off the ground the truck resting on the frame!  The guys were able to lift up the rear of the truck and we got unstuck.  Then we continue down the mountain and we LOST OUR BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  jaw_drop It was nervewracking as all hell.  Finally after pretty much flying down the hill (while hubby is pumping the brakes trying to get them back) and over the bumps, mud, and rocks.  We get to the end of the trail and we stopped (FINALLY) and talked with the ppl in the Jeep and the KNOW IT ALL GUY THAT TOLD US LIES (lol) asks if we want to go down another trail.  NOOOOOOO we said we were all set we didn't plan on wrecking our truck and we went home ....  So far it just looks like we broke the brakes and the steps on the truck....keeping our fingers crossed that nothing else turns up broken (Sam looked at it this morning and said he doesn't see anything else broken)  

I wish I had pictures of the trail we went down....I might have a few ina couple days (one of the ppl in the Jeep was taking pics with a disposable cam) cause now that we are home and looking back it would be pretty comical pics but not while it was all happening!  

Oh welll I just thought I would share our HELL of an Offroading adventure .... hopefully made someone laugh at our stupidity! hehe ohjez

BTW  I got hit on the way down the last MTN and that was an experience to say the least! hammer
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

Re: Offroading last night (not CH related at all!)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 9th, 2003, 3:38pm »

Coots say: Never follow beaten path of total stranger ! Pam that is glad yer ok after that 'hairy' expierience
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 9th, 2003, 3:46pm »

WOW --- and I thought you didn't have mountains out there, just big hills!

Oh... and the story is scary too.    Wink

Glad you made it home safe and sound,
grant
IP Logged
Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 9th, 2003, 5:51pm »

Taraann,
   I guess you have learned your lesson to never follow a jeep becouse it was really designed to go off road. I think even a jeep cherokee can turn around with 3 feet. Next time check and see if the othe vehical has a roll cage or not. If it does then DON'T follow it! Also never follow a range rover or hummer, they are designed to go where even jeeps fear to tread. I used to go off roading in the back 40 with a 53 willys overland and a 69 volkswagon bus, both were loads of fun and neither had brakes.

Opus/Paul
IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
CathiP

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 9th, 2003, 6:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

WHEEEEEE!!!! Tara ann.....It does sound like it wasn't nearly as much fun in the execution....BUT.....honey...ya need 4X.....Jeeps can go anywhere.......'rucks cannot!
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Man, though, cannot even imagine getting hit....a rollercoaster ride inside a rollercoaster ride...poor Tara...
Cathi whose Jeep has never intentionally been muddied, but LOVES sandy beaches! Wink
IP Logged
BillyJ.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 9th, 2003, 7:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Did someone say MUD?!?!
Sounds like fun except for getting hit.
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bill1nightowl
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 9th, 2003, 8:30pm »

I was wondering when you'd post to this thread, Mr. Mudder.   lol

Linda, who never grew up
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

Life Options......
« Reply #7 on: Nov 9th, 2003, 10:04pm »

Tara.......

Pick up your prize HERE.

Middle of the Pack,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 9th, 2003, 10:14pm »

Is that you guys mud boggin on the way to the bar when you all left bar hoppin in NY at the convention ?  Blahhhh-ha-ha-ha ! Nice pics Billy........thanks !! Pam her dryness (blahhhh mud)
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2003, 10:16pm by cootie » IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 9th, 2003, 11:12pm »

Awwww I'm worthy of a bow Darwin Award, I'm just so proud right now crackup

Quote:
Coots say: Never follow beaten path of total stranger
Great advice Pam ... lol

Quote:
Cathi whose Jeep has never intentionally been muddied, but LOVES sandy beaches!
I also Love the Beach (much more than that trail lol) and Sam and I were saying that we have a new respect for Jeeps after last night hehe

Quote:
both were loads of fun and neither had brakes.
 Opus, offroading without brakes on PURPOSE!??!?!  You consider that FUN?  OMG that's crazy LMAO Wink Grin

Hey Billy are those mudboggin pics of you driving?  either way Cool Pics!

IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 9th, 2003, 11:32pm »

Sounds like you had a good time nonetheless.

Quite a story.  Shocked

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 8:37am »

Taraan,
  Yes, off roading without brakes is an adventure. The trick is to put the ignition on a switch that is easy to get too and turn off the engine to stop. Of course that doesn't always work.

I was climbing a steep hill through the woods in the volkswagon van when it stalled right before reaching the top. The van started going backwards and popped out of gear! I had to ride it down the hill backwards and at the bottom I spun the wheel to get it sideways, that worked well until I hit the tree with the drivers door. I was slowed down a bit so it wasn't too bad except for being a little stuck on the tree. The Willys got it free and I got it home. That van was so much fun becouse it could go almost anywhere except the swamp.  

Opus/Paul
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2003, 11:01pm by Opus » IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
Hirvimaki
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Quod me nutrit me destruit.

3978676 3978676   frotteur   hirvimaki
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 6:05pm »

The clown's been crueler than usual - this weekend was a bust - but I saw the "off-roading" post and could not resist a peek.  I drive a Jeep TJ and go off-road whenever I get the chance.  I'm glad others enjoy it, too!  When I actually do get that website up to post all my art, I will also post off-roading pics. Some of the adventures we've had in Moab, Utah will make your head spin.

Off to the O2, off to beat my head on the wall, off to Pain-ville.

Hirvimaki
IP Logged

"What makes us discontented with our condition is the absurdly exaggerated idea we have of the happiness of others."

Big Dan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

SMASH BRAIN!

Danboyceccg   DanielNBoyce
Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 6:50pm »

If you can't run with the Big Boys...

... keep 'er parked.... Grin

-Big Twuck
IP Logged

Not going anywhere for a while?...

... Grab a Snickers, Fatass.
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 10:45pm »

I used to have a CJ with a three inch lift kit, and oversized mud tires!  Awsome ride!

I remember going mudding with my buddy and my kids (only three, at the time).  My buddy was shotgon, my two boys were on the outside in the back seat, and my infant daughter was in her baby seat in the middle of the back seat.  I had the doors off, but the top on.

My wife was shocked when we got back, and saw that my daughter was covered in mud!  She could not understand how she got that way.

BTW, my daughter slept through the whole ride!  

Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

Aging opinions
« Reply #15 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 11:12pm »

Quote:
Taraan,
  Yes, off roading without brakes is an adventure.

Yes, well..............acceleration is fun. Deceleration let's you Do It Again. I still think Darwin was on to something

Tomorrow's another day...........(for some).......
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss