Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 1:33pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Here you go Cathy (zero to do with CH) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Here you go Cathy (zero to do with CH)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Here you go Cathy (zero to do with CH)  (Read 349 times)
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

Here you go Cathy (zero to do with CH)
« on: Nov 5th, 2003, 8:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

"A penny for the guy."

Sorry kids. This is my thing every November 5th. I have no brain.  

PITA old Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

Re: Here you go Cathy (zero to do with CH)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 2:02pm »

on Nov 5th, 2003, 8:28am, Charlie wrote:

PITA old Charlie

Charlie, if sex is a Pain In The Ass, ... roll over ...
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 2:35pm »

hug...thanks Charlie...im letting off the fireworks on Saturday and will burn the Guy in honor of you!

The tradition of Guy Fawkes-related bonfires actually began the very same year as the failed coup. The Plot was foiled in the night between the 4th and 5th of November 1605. Already on the 5th, agitated Londoners who knew little more than that their King had been saved, joyfully lit bonfires in thanksgiving. As years progressed, however, the ritual became more elaborate.  

Soon, people began placing effigies onto bonfires, and fireworks were added to the celebrations. Effigies of Guy Fawkes, and sometimes those of the Pope, graced the pyres. Still today, some communities throw dummies of both Guy Fawkes and the Pope on the bonfire (and even those of a contemporary politician or two), although the gesture is seen by most as a quirky tradition, rather than an expression of hostility towards the Pope.  

Preparations for Bonfire Night celebrations include making a dummy of Guy Fawkes, which is called "the Guy". Some children even keep up an old tradition of walking in the streets, carrying "the Guy" they have just made, and beg passersby for "a penny for the Guy." The kids use the money to buy fireworks for the evening festivities.  

On the night itself, Guy is placed on top of the bonfire, which is then set alight; and fireworks displays fill the sky.  

The extent of the celebrations and the size of the bonfire varies from one community to the next. Lewes, in the South East of England, is famous for its Bonfire Night festivities and consistently attracts thousands of people each year to participate.

Bonfire Night is not only celebrated in Britain. The tradition crossed the oceans and established itself in the British colonies during the centuries. It was actively celebrated in New England as "Pope Day" as late as the 18th century. Today, November 5th bonfires still light up in far out places like New Zealand and Newfoundland in Canada.  

Cathy  Smiley
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 2:37pm »

If you want to know more....

http://www.bonefire.org/guy/index.php

Cathy
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 3:00pm »

First time I've ever heard of Newfoundland referred to as a "far out place".   Far-away or isolated, but not a "far out place".  Guess that would depend on how much "screech" you drink and how many dead cods you kiss!    Tongue

Apologies to any Newfie clusterheads out there (didn't notice any on the map).

grant
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 5:14pm »

Thanks Cathy and Co.

My screwy interest in this stems from reading a book by Antonia Fraser called "Faith and Treason.” It's largely the story of Catholic recusants and what seems a bizarre story of the elaborate lengths they had to go to deal with the then protestant kings and queens and their misplaced hope that James I was going to go easy.  No matter which side was in charge it was a tough row to hoe.  

We never learn. Religious fanaticism is deadlier today, on the evening news, and makes life more uncomfortable.  Angry

Nice idea burning politicians in effigy.  Lots of fuel for the fire here.  Roll Eyes

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss