Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 1:37pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Medication Hangover »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Medication Hangover
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Medication Hangover  (Read 797 times)
envirodefender
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Medication Hangover
« on: Nov 4th, 2003, 4:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Anybody have any ideas on how to combat the medication hangovers? I'd like to try something that doesnt involve yet ANOTHER drug. But I'm so tried of walking around in stupor. Besides that, I'm limited in the kind of drugs I can take because I have a heart problem. Thanks for any input.
Beth
IP Logged

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage"
Cake or Death?
Uh, cake please.
thomas

Email

Re: Medication Hangover
« Reply #1 on: Nov 4th, 2003, 4:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Well, what are you taking?
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 4th, 2003, 5:05pm »

what have you tried in the past and what are you on now?
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Brian_Y

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 4th, 2003, 5:07pm »

Hair of the dog!!!!

/I'll take a one way pass to Hell, please!!
IP Logged
envirodefender
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 12:11am »

Sorry, I guess I should have qualified that a bit. The meds I'm currently on are Verapamil, Midrin, Indocin, Elavil, Melotinin, o2 by mask, and pred. The others are too numerous to mention. Lets just say anything that is a narcotic, which, I cant take and anything that has a histomine block. The histomine will send me straight to ER, without passing go, the narcotic, I'd like to avoid, because I dispense meds for a living, and well, that would be bad for business if I were to be "stoned" on duty. Although I did try a LARGE variety of those too in the previous years.  Briefly and not in any particuliar order these and a large group of derivatives of these families( and I may be redundant, so pardon) Imitrex,Demerol,Percocet, Pred, Decadron, Verapamil, Depokote,Inderal, Topomax,Phenylpropanolamine, Indomiacin,Midrin, delauded, Dorvocet,Valium, DHE And the ever popular Nerve Block. by injection to brainstem ,as oppossed to IV injection. I am missing another 8 or so drugs that are in the same family as I have already said, but I lost my list of drugs, so this is by memory Hope this helps. Thanks again. Beth
IP Logged

Cake or Death?
Uh, cake please.
thomas

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 2:38pm »

It's been so long since I was on verapimil, anyway I would suggest maybe taking a smaller dose of melatonin.  And taking as few abortives as possible.  Some of what you are feeling could be sheer exhaustion.
IP Logged
Doug_L
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 4:02pm »

My little humble opinion is the Elavil is giving you that hang over.
I tried that sfuff a long while back and just could never shake the always tired feeling. I gave it a good try also. One month.
DougL
IP Logged
envirodefender
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 7:48pm »

Thanks guys. I'll try cutting back on the melatonin, or maybe taking it earlier, but I like the cutting back better! Wink Whatr should I do about the Elavil? Stop taking it? Is there something else I should tell my Doc that would be better? Like these guys ever listen, but it's worth a try. And your right, I'm sure some is just being so freakin' tired, but I just cant get any sleep that last longer than 20  minutes. I'm so frassled I could just scream, but that would hurt too much and take to much energy! Undecided Thanks, I love this place!
Beth
IP Logged

Cake or Death?
Uh, cake please.
sherryberry
New Board Newbie
USA 

Living and Loving it!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 8:16pm »

I agree with Doug L... having taken Elavil for quite a while in the past, I know that it tends to make you EXTREMELY drowsy... I would check with your doc and maybe do some experimenting (under doc's supervision) and try cutting out the Elavil and the Midrin (unless you also suffer from Migraines as Midrin is basically for migraines)  Unless your doc is giving you Elavil for depression...which I doubt since there are better drugs out there for that AND since Elavil has been used for CH... I would cut out the Elavil first.  That in itself should alleviate your "hangover" feeling after a few weeks.  I think Elavil is one that you should "taper" off of though...and it will still take a few weeks once you have stopped for it to completely clear your system.

Check with your Doc about the Midrin... I'm not sure if any of it's ingredients could cause a "hangover" feeling but it is possible.  I took it for a VERY short time, but it did nothing at all for my CH.  I don't remember side effects though... sorry!

The Verapamil you are on, has been known to be very effective on MANY CH sufferers...I don't think, if the Verapamil works for you that you even would need the Elavil.  

Be aware though... And I may get slammed for this, but Verapamil is now basically "under investigation" for potentially lengthening cycles or even perhaps causing episodics to become chronic.   NOW!  That said, most people, I think, on this board who have had great success with Verapamil would tell you that longer cycles is very much worth the reduction in pain and frequency.

It is very much a matter of choice for you.  I, myself, have tried many of the old drugs and a few of the new (but not Verapamil) and I have decided that I prefer to remain drug free at this time due to the risks and side effects that I (not everyone) have incurred.  

It basically comes down to finding the least number of drugs with the fewest side effects that enable you to live your life with the most positive and happy outlook.

So...Elavil...talk to your doc. and cut it out.  Should make a world of difference!!

Good Luck!
Let us know how it goes!
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2003, 8:19pm by sherryberry » IP Logged

Happiness is a choice. Choose wisely.
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 8:37pm »

on Nov 5th, 2003, 8:16pm, sherryberry wrote:
Be aware though... And I may get slammed for this, but Verapamil is now basically "under investigation" for potentially lengthening cycles or even perhaps causing episodics to become chronic.   NOW!  That said, most people, I think, on this board who have had great success with Verapamil would tell you that longer cycles is very much worth the reduction in pain and frequency.  

True, this has been discussed but not just for this med.  I am not certain it would qualify as any investigation of sorts.

Sherryberry, I don't seem to recall any introductions.  Did I miss the post?

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
samurai

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 8:51pm »

Midrin was the first thing I was ever prescribed, by a GP, and it worked for me as an abortive, but I always felt stoned afterword. I actually didn't mind the relaxation, after the pain of a headache, but I was worthless, too tired and spacey to get work done. You may be having the same effects. If I remember right, though it's been years, Midrin is Acetaminophen and a mild sedative.
       Jason
IP Logged
sherryberry
New Board Newbie
USA 

Living and Loving it!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 9:01pm »

Prense, I believe, not sure though so don't hold me to it, but, I believe some "investigation" is being done through Dr. Goadsby's team.

IP Logged

Happiness is a choice. Choose wisely.
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 9:43pm »

Oh ok...thought the reference was to the recent threads here about it.
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss