Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 5:22pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Question about laptops (non ch) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Question about laptops (non ch)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Question about laptops (non ch)  (Read 707 times)
Melissa

Email

Question about laptops (non ch)
« on: Oct 28th, 2003, 10:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am deciding on which laptop to purchase.  I can't decide between a Dell Inspiron 1100, Sony Vaio FXA63 , or Toshiba Satellite 3005-S305 .  If there is one of these that I should absolutely not buy because of bad experience, please let me know!  I would hate to spend so much money on something that I could have prevented if I had just asked someones opinion.  Any thoughts?  BTW, these are used, not brand new.   Thanks for your help!

Smileymel
IP Logged
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

had not proteccRe: Question about laptops (non ch)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 10:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am not too smucken fart on puters, but I have a Dell Inspiron 8100, and I love it.  It has been trouble free for almost two years now.  The only problem I had, was with garbage that I had loaded in and then a virus that I had not properly protected myself from.  

That is the only problem I have had with it, and that wasn't the puter's problem.

Just my  twocents

Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
Melissa

Email

Re: Question about laptops (non ch)
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 11:08am »

TY for your imput Chuck.  I will be purchasing a Dell Inspiron 2650.  I did some checking on reviews, and this sounds pretty good to me!  Thanks again!

Smileymel
IP Logged
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

TheRe: Question about laptops (non ch)
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 11:16am »

The Vaio's generally are slimmer and lighter because all your peripheral drives (DVD, CD, Floppy) are separate pieces and must be attached to the laptop by a cable. If that does not bother you and you want slim and light, then get the Vaio otherwise all are good brands.  
Lastly consider battery time. Will you be traveling and requiring hard usage w/o an external power source? Extra batteries are available in different sizes (AmpH).

TomM
IP Logged

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
--Thoreau--
Killroy 2.0
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kilroy 2.0 is Here! Kilroy 2.0 is Everywhere!

gmlevenhagen  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 11:32am »

My  twocents

Skip the PC altogether and get a Mac

I love my Ibook. its the best laptop I have ever used!!!

Gena
IP Logged

Do the walls speak to you? Do you follow the Geek Messiah? DO YOU COMPLY?!
Miklos
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 11:34am »

My company, First Equipment Company, sells used laptops. If you want to call and give the features and specification you are interested in, we (not me) can probably give you a quote. The tech center just received a bunch of Dell Latitudes back from lease at Frito Lay, and they are in the process of being refurbished. FEC is an authorized IBM PC repair center along with a couple of  other brands.  

Office phone (toll free): 888-780- 8631, ext. 278
IP Logged

Don't be offended by my frank analysis. Think of it as personality dialysis.
kissmyglass
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Don't Mix Triptans

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 12:01pm »

I have a Toshiba Satellite & it overheats & shuts down a lot.  My last one was an IBM & from now on I will buy nothing but an IBM....

Kev
IP Logged

"It does so fucking look like her" - Picasso
[img][/img]
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 12:10pm »

I've got a Dell 5100 and I love it.  I did have a compaq and it was the biggest nightmare I've ever had with any computer.  The Dell does everything it's supposed to and the only problems have been with user error hehe.

The Dell setup is also very easy to format and start over again, you don't have to do alot to get things working the way they were.

The biggest downfall with the Dell is the weight.  It is a very heavy laptop IMHO.

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
Melissa

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 12:31pm »

Thanks everyone for your opinions! Grin  And Miklos, TY for the phone#, I just might take you up on that since I am such a fruit when it comes to making puter decisions. Grin

Smileymel
IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 11:55am »

My advice is to stay away from Dell.
Their service sucks

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 12:19pm »

on Oct 30th, 2003, 11:55am, Svenn wrote:
My advice is to stay away from Dell.
Their service sucks

Svenn

When I bought my Dell a couple of years ago their service was top notch. To cut costs they have farmed out their tech suport to India and it has really went downhill.  As far the PC itself it is very nice, but I now consider my 3 year extended warranty pretty much useless. If it breaks I will just repair it myself. Check out these links....
here and here. Keep in mind Dell sells over a million PC's a month so this is not a good cross section of their customer base, but the problems all seem to be the same.

I think I will just build or buy local my next PC.

Good Luck,
IP Logged

Click The Flag
Melissa

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 1:12pm »

Well, those posts were a little too late Roll Eyes, I did buy a Dell Inspirion 1100 for $645.00, BUT if anything happens to it, I will be taking it to a local here that fixes puters.  SO, I feel OK with my purchase.  Thanks everyone again for your help!

Smileymel
IP Logged
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 1:31pm »

Dell has a 30 day no questions asked return policy so if you do have a problem send it back pronto. I didnt mean to scare you away from Dell, their service has changed though. Most people never need their service anyway so I wouldnt worry....sounds like you got a good deal too...did you get them to give you free shipping?

The Dell Tech forum is one of only a couple of MB I hit....this one being home of course.

Let us know how it goes...I love new stuf!  Grin

PFDAN's
Mark
IP Logged

Click The Flag
Melissa

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 1:37pm »

No Mark, had to pay for shipping, but it's Airbourne Express, so I know it'll get here pretty quck!  As soon as I figure it all out, and set up my isp, I'll post from my new puter on how I either love it or hate it, LOL

Oh, and yeah, I love new stuff too! Grin

Smileymel
IP Logged
jflynn
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #14 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 4:03pm »

With laptops my issue is the pointing device: trackball vs. touch pad vs. "cat tongue" pointer.  I hate the touch pads personally and will never buy another laptop with one.

Incedenatlly I just bought a used Panasonic laptop as a beater from eBay for $199 shipped.  It works great, a Toughbook which is very sturdy although a bit heavy.  Major bargain.  Tigerdirect.com is another good place for refurbished and new laptops.

I highly suggest setting up a wireless network to share resources with other computers in your house and to be able to have Internet access anywhere around your home wirelessly.  You can get the hardware to do this for well under $100 these days.  You'll need to follow instructions closely to set it up butit's not hard.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss