Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 7:18pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Nashville convention information »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Nashville convention information
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Nashville convention information  (Read 316 times)
DaveHar
New Board Veteran
USA 

Proud American, Proud Servicemember, CH Fighter

WWW Email

Nashville convention information
« on: Oct 21st, 2003, 9:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There have been disputes over where the convention is to be held here in Tennessee and I would like to make a few points about this. I was interested in the cabin and all until I looked deeper into the costs and other issues which in my opinion make it totally out of the question.  

Here are my thoughts on this:

The Knoxville Airport is an hour and a half away from the cabins This brings up an issue of rental cars and shuttling issues.

The airport does not handle international flights which intern means that shuttle service will have to be provided for those who must come into Nashville. This will be about a seven-hour trip for that person or persons.

There is nothing to do at all for at least 45 minutes from the cabin. This place is isolated.

There will be handicapped issues at the cabin. This will limit those who have problems walking or are restricted to wheelchairs or walkers of any kind, to not being able to get out and about as easily as the rest of us.

Hospitals, 45 minute or better away. Any need for emergency care is gone.

Cost, we are looking at about 30 people on average to the conventions of past. This breaks down to a need for a minimum of 15 rooms. The large cabin only has nine rooms. A need to rent extra cabins will be needed. This will intern raise the price overall thus forcing many people to back out of the convention causing an even lower turn out and then raising the cost to those who still come.

Any food provided by the staff will be at extra cost to us. It is NOT included in the cost of the cabin. How many will want to drive 45 minutes to buy groceries or even just to be able to go out and eat.

There will be a limited amount of meeting space for us to hold the meetings.

Here are the costs for those that want to play the numbers game.

The nine bedroom totals out at $3226.35 this will break down to for every two people to a room (18 people total) you will need to shell out $179.24 each person. The cabin will accommodate 25 people. This will intern break down to $129.05 each and then you end up on sleeper sofa and no privacy.  
A two-bed cabin costs $981.60 and sleeps 6 max. If only 4 people stay there that will break down to $245.40 each person. You can put 6 in the cabin but again sofas are the only choice and then you are looking at a cost of $163.60 each person and again no privacy. The total cost on this would be $4207.95 then divide that by thirty-one people total for the two cabins and it comes to $135.74 each person. The issue will still be how many want to sleep on a couch in the open room? How many arguments are going to arise? Who is going to volunteer? How many more cabins will we need? How long do we wait before we say sorry you can’t come because you didn’t pay? Who tells them they can’t come? What if someone backs out at the last minute who incurs the extra cost of that person or people who can not come?
Last point of this, NO MEALS are included in this cost. Catered meals are extra or make a 45-minute drive and find a resteraunt or grocery store.

As you can see we have done our best to think of the main issues that need to be considered for the convention. Our feelings are that these are the points that must be considered when hosting any convention. As always the biggest issue is going to be the cost. The cheaper we can make it the more people will come but at the same time we must consider sacrificing the quality of the convention for the cost factor. In the issue of Nashville and a hotel or Pigeon Forge and a cabin we make our stand that the Nashville idea that was our original idea must stand. The cost that will be incurred by going to the cabin will force to many people out of the convention this year. We will not be part of that. We can NOT stand for that. When we agreed to host the convention we agreed to host it in Nashville. We looked into other ideas but have not found a cost-effective way to make them happen.  

So I make my statement now and once again. We offer to host the Nashville, TN convention of 2004 in Nashville, NOT in Pigeon Forge
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: Nashville convention information
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 3:18pm »

Sounds like you have done all your homework Dave, I salute you.  It was my understanding that you were doing it in Nashville all along or not at all.  I think they knew that when they were voting.  Just find us a place in Nashville and that will be fine.  Do your best that is all anyone can ask.  Thanks for all you are doing.  
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
jonny

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 3:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Me thinks it should be a few miles out of Nashville city limits...I could never imagine holding a convention within the city limits of Boston.

As far as I know all the conventions where not in big cities but in near by towns. I didnt make Vegas so I dont know about that one.

This way you can have everything (Movies theater, waffle house, pizza joints and places to shop) you need without big city chaos.

Just a thought, bro

..................................jonny
IP Logged
Jayne
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Pull my finger!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 3:46pm »

The hotel I had in mind is 4 miles away from the main drag and it has a huge park opposite...loads of fast food joints in walking distance..the "ccoker"  
Shops to browse through. It would be the perfect location
Jonny trust me on this.
IP Logged

If you haven't laughed today, it's been a wasted day. Smiley
jonny

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 4:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I trust you Jayne, hell, the best time I ever had away from home was when I came down to visit you. everything was in walking distance and I got to spend mega time with the one....nevermind

Thats why I always say that Nashville was a fantastic time, and it was cause you set everything up ahead of time.

But!!, its not up to me where it will be.

......................................jonny
IP Logged
Leesa
New Board Hall of Famer

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 6:13pm »

Point taken Jonny and I have already considered that as an option but I just can not see anyone wanting to sit in a car for another 45 min plus ride to just have to sack out on a couch for 2 or three days . Leesa and I have spent most of today checking out hotels so that we can get the most bang for the buck. We are even looking into having shuttle service pre arainged for the peeeps flying in. I can not promise it but we are trying.  

Thanks everyone. Now we can move on.
IP Logged

"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." General H. Norman Schwarzkopf Smiley
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:58pm »

Don't most hotels offer a special rate on reserveing BLOCKS of rooms......as many as you need then call to cancel at least 24 hrs ahead of time for particular rooms not spoken for ? Sum have big conference rooms but there stuffy and get real smokey.....we gagged out a speaker at one last year and he had ta stop and had a mild asthma attack......everyone had to smoke outside from then on. No one complained about the noise we made after hours but the big gathering room (conference room) was only allowed available till around midnite and then everyone had ta go to individual rooms to yak and hang out if they wanted. There was a bar at the one with food open till bout 1:00 am. Usually a heated pool at most for 'swim fans'. Think they had about 15 rooms at the last big deal we went to and rates were only about $ 64.00 a room a nite which wasn't bad....I think the more rooms in the block reserved the better the deal....of course ? Dam it all we need is a porch and 7-11 that sells beer cigs and munchies ! Pam that is bein strangely silly I know  

Can't say anyone really wanted to take off and leave the group fer long in NY tho even tho there were lots of sites to see....everyone wanted to jus be tagether. My dad lives nearby so we'll be payin him a visit tho before...dureing or after
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2003, 11:00pm by cootie » IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Jimi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Who loves ya baby!

Hendrix1473  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 11:08pm »

clown
   Hey Jayne........Are you still with that comedy group? If you are, could you book your group on Saturday night for the peeps entertainment? headbanger
    Just a thought,
    Jimi
IP Logged

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 23rd, 2003, 1:42am »

Damnit!!!  I'm getting pissed off!  Maybe I am getting too picky in my senile old age, but I DEMAND a PORCH!!!  It is a MUST!!!  No discussion, JUST GET A FREEKING PORCH!

Now, who is good with pencil and paper?  We draw the porch, on a sheet of paper, torn out of a notebook, and then tack it on the wall!  Instant PORCH!

OK, I'm happy now!  (see?  Being old and cantankerous gets results!)  heehee ...

Can't wait to go to the ultimate "meet 'n greet" (as long as there is PORCH) !!!!

Chuck

PS:  PORCH is more a state of mind, and set of circumstances and people, than a physical structure!
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
KingOfPain
New Board Hall of Famer

Disgusted!

« Reply #9 on: Oct 23rd, 2003, 2:16am »

on Oct 23rd, 2003, 1:42am, ClusterChuck wrote:
Damnit!!!  I'm getting pissed off!  Maybe I am getting too picky in my senile old age, but I DEMAND a PORCH!!!  It is a MUST!!!  No discussion, JUST GET A FREEKING PORCH!

Now, who is good with pencil and paper?  We draw the porch, on a sheet of paper, torn out of a notebook, and then tack it on the wall!  Instant PORCH!

OK, I'm happy now!  (see?  Being old and cantankerous gets results!)  heehee ...

Can't wait to go to the ultimate "meet 'n greet" (as long as there is PORCH) !!!!

Chuck

PS:  PORCH is more a state of mind, and set of circumstances and people, than a physical structure!

Here ya go Chuck.

An assortment for ya.

Take your pick.

Wink

This place (the last pic, "The Inn  
At Evins Mill') says it is about an
hour drive from the Nashville airport.

http://www.evinsmill.com/

*(just posted for fun & info)*

Happy "porching" !

Modified:
Almost forgot the "double decker"/
"two story" model.

Grin

KingOfPain
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2003, 2:26am by KingOfPain » IP Logged

Arrived August, 1999.

We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter.
- Denis Diderot
Real friendship is shown in times of trouble; prosperity is full of friends. - Euripides
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 23rd, 2003, 10:13am »

Wow KOP you got sum nice porches........ha-ha ! We had a balcony porch at a hotel about two weeks ago we went to fer a mini get away vacation......each room had a porch (first and second floor rooms) that looked onto a terrace with pool and gazebo. I musta sat out there 4 hours that one day after we got there......kept thinkin bout you all and the conventions. Maybe we'll get lucky and find a hotel with lill porch decks off rooms or we can set on the curb and set up umbrella's and wave at cars pretending were on a porch in that 'laid back setting' that works so cool fer visiting. We can do anything if we put our minds to it don't ya think.....or make the best of any situation ?! Where ever we stay I'm sure it will be NICE !! Pam situation sensations
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss