Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 9:23pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « No way a GP can know everything! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   No way a GP can know everything!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: No way a GP can know everything!  (Read 280 times)
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

No way a GP can know everything!
« on: Oct 21st, 2003, 9:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I had to go to my company doctor yesterday to be cleared to go back to work. He is no older than 32. Very friendly, but also not at all knowledgeable about CH. If i was a GP/Doctor. If i didnt know anything about a disease or a medical problem, I wouldnt dare try to fake it.
This GP proceeded to tell me about how CH was smoking related. I quickly corrected him. He asked me how i knew so much about CH. I told him after 28 years of research in the Library and then maybe reading the internet for the last 6 years i had learned a lot. He told me i shouldnt believe everything i read.
Then he proceeded to tell me about a room-mate in medschool who also had a CH attack. This room-mate had gone out drinking the night before and it triggered a "Cycle", he said if i drank alcohol, it would almost always trigger a CH the next day. He claimed this room-mate only had 1 cycle of the CH's.I tried to correct him on this also but he cut me off. Talking about being misinformed!
I realize a GP cannot know everything, but just because he went to school for 10+ years doesnt mean he has to know more than us about CH. I told him about how the Prednisone and Verapamil had broken my cycle and he was incredulous, and said he had never heard of that combination being used for CH's.
Seems to be a common thread for me lately, but i am just amazed at how little Doctors actually know about anything.

Patrick  beer

ps...i referred him to OUCH, I doubt he'll go though
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2003, 9:41am by Patrick_A » IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
Ann
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Annage

Email

Re: No way a GP can know everything!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21st, 2003, 9:50am »

His roommate had A CH cycle??  LMAO...lead me to him so I can kiss his feet!  As if!!!! laugh

On a more serious note.....did you get the ok to go back to work?  Hope you're doing better.

hugs
Ann
IP Logged
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 21st, 2003, 10:06am »

Yes, I am good to go. Thank ya Ann!

Patrick   smokin
IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 21st, 2003, 10:07am »

Did this Dr also tell you that you can get CH's from a toilet seat?

Jim
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 21st, 2003, 12:58pm »

Lol That was good Jim.  I like that one.

Sounds like my doctor that told me there was no medical reaserch that shows that O2 helps with CH's.  That it is a plasebo that makes people feel better cause they THINK it works.
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2003, 12:59pm by Tiannia » IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Oct 21st, 2003, 1:44pm »

Quote:
you can get CH's from a toilet seat

You can?  ohjez

Damn. Sure glad I "hover" when I pee.  Wink
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
jonny

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 21st, 2003, 3:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I just changed insurance and forgot to pick a PCP so they picked one for me, its some asian chick in her 30's

I cant wait for this first visit..."Hey Doc, wanna check out this lump on my testicale"  guyflash ROTFFLMMFAO  moonwiggle

...................................jonny
IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 21st, 2003, 5:38pm »

on Oct 21st, 2003, 3:30pm, jonny wrote:
Hey Doc, wanna check out this lump on my testicale"  guyflash

OMG Jonny.............. oops
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2003, 5:39pm by Tiannia » IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 21st, 2003, 5:50pm »

What a marvelous story! It makes my point, which I have been pushing here for years, that docs can't and don't know everything about an obscure, rare disorder, and it's necessary that we walk into the office prepared to educate our doc.  

This guy may be a young jerk who has already developed is ego beyond redemption--but it doesn't change the general picture: gather MEDICAL journal articles and books and OFFER to help him  to help you.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
oringkid

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 21st, 2003, 6:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My husband recently got a job at a hospital and ran into a doctor that claimed he knew all about CH... he proceeded to tell my husband that they have found that CH's are seasonal and believe them to be allergy related.... My husband told him about our group and the doctor asked had any of us ever had the "scratch" tests for allergies.......doh!

Sherry
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 21st, 2003, 6:55pm »

You'd think some of our pubescent MDs would at least have spent some time here or elsewhere looking at types of headache. I didn't expect to find so much sanity or level-headed information on line but here it is.

Scratch tests: LOL. I have serious doubts about them. It's nice to find the easy out.  Gee, I scratched your arm and it turned red. Wow!  Roll Eyes

Let me know if she has a good time Jonny, maybe she'll get more business than she'd like.  Shocked

Charlie

IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 21st, 2003, 7:45pm »

What's his email addy so I can flame him?   bigguns
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:51am »

I really like Don's answer to a post last month:

Quote:
To Quote Don
Sep 28th, 2003, 10:49am

I've always found a demo works well. Insert a hot screwdriver in their left eye and a corkscrew in their ear. Proceed to hit them on the side of the head with a ball peen hammer while pushing the screwdriver and turning the cork screw. Due this for 20 minutes while playing a Guns and Roses album at full volume.  

Give them a copy of the Kip Scale and tell them they have just experienced a 5.

I love that demo,  got lots I would like to use it on, this young whippersnapper doctor needs a demo too!

Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss