Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 9:30pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Computer about to crash? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Computer about to crash?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Computer about to crash?  (Read 341 times)
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

Computer about to crash?
« on: Oct 17th, 2003, 10:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dont know what is going on here...but my computer wont defrag...also, some weird things are happening...some new icons snuck up on the bottom of my screen...having problems opening alot of sites..i am not really good on the technical part of the computer so I have no idea what is going on... Roll Eyes....any ideas on what i need to do? I think it is about to shut down on me... ;Dnancyc
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Computer about to crash?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17th, 2003, 10:49am »

Sounds like you have been infected with some virus/worm/spyware.

If your virus program is not uptodate (as of today), update, and then run on your hard drive.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Whomever said that two heads are better than one?

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 17th, 2003, 11:10am »

Of Course you could siomply forgo all the virus scanning n such and just re-format.......you'll lose everything you saved unless its backed up....naturally.

Ramon
IP Logged

I would rather face the end with terror than terror without end. - (Deitrich Sawatsky 194?)
Hirvimaki
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Quod me nutrit me destruit.

3978676 3978676   frotteur   hirvimaki
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 17th, 2003, 11:17am »

It sounds to me like you have Adware and/or Spyware running in your system.  In addition to making certain your virus scan program is up-to-date, you may wish to get an Adware/Spyware removal tool.  Personally, I use Ad-Aware.  It's free and works very well.  You can get it at:  

http://www.lavasoft.nu/software/adaware/

Good luck!

Hirvimaki
IP Logged

"What makes us discontented with our condition is the absurdly exaggerated idea we have of the happiness of others."

Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 17th, 2003, 2:58pm »

Nancyc,
    The Icons and not being able to defrag sounds like spyware/adware. I use spybot rather than Ad-Aware, the two programs conflict now so you should only use one. Of course this is my personal preference. Anyway down load one of them, get updates and run weekly, If you are using some  freeware then disabling the spyware that comes with it may cause the freeware program to stop working. Any way all adware/spyware is bad news and should be removed.  Here is the link.

http://spybot.eon.net.au/

Opus/Paul
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2003, 2:58pm by Opus » IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 17th, 2003, 5:47pm »

Me too Nancy. The other day I noticed this thing didn't defrag. I was too tired to do anything about it...

I've had to uninstall some crap that cluttered up my outlook that I had no idea I downloaded.  Something like web fun or something. It had a smiley central thing.  

Come to think of it, I have spybot here.....hmmmm

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
oringkid

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 17th, 2003, 5:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hey! Opus, you say that Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy conflict now??

Is that why when I got back online and was updating the programs, that Spybot showed updates but was unable to download them?  

Nancy, good luck, sometimes 'puters can be such a maze of confusion and frustration... but... I love 'em!

Sherry
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 17th, 2003, 6:35pm »

To fix the virus and spyware problems for good, I installed a program called LINUX.  Been running it for several years with good results.
IP Logged
Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 17th, 2003, 7:14pm »

Sherry,
  What I read is that they picked up each others data files and that they were the real things. Other things is that spybot replaces Alexa with a dummy but adaware just removes it, so you can use adaware to remove spybots dummy alexa and then the real thing will be there next time. Spybot is a little harder to use but has many more options.
To down load updates you have to choose a mirror before they will down load.  

flouridian,  
     I am changing over too, I have download mandrake but two out of there Iso's are bad, I have to try again, then I will get freeBSD.

Opus/Paul
IP Logged

oringkid

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 17th, 2003, 7:21pm »

Thanks Opus!  I always used them together.  I would run Adaware first, then Spybot.  I use the built-in updater for spybot but although it showed an update was available, it was unable to download...maybe I should try again, and if it still doesn't work, I'll go to the site.

Thanks again!
Sherry
IP Logged
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 18th, 2003, 7:36pm »

on Oct 17th, 2003, 7:21pm, oringkid wrote:
Thanks Opus!  I always used them together.  I would run Adaware first, then Spybot.  I use the built-in updater for spybot but although it showed an update was available, it was unable to download...maybe I should try again, and if it still doesn't work, I'll go to the site.

Thanks again!
Sherry

Sorry about the size of the picture, I am at work and do not have a decent image program here...I hate big pictures  Sad

I LOVE SpyBot and have used it for close to two years now. It has on the only other message boards I hit on a regular basis. I would just about guarntee you just need to choose another server ( a "mirror"Wink to download the update. It defaults to one of the Europen servers and that one stays busy because of that. I have attached a screen shot of how to select another server to get the latest updates....it always works.

I used to use Ad-Aware untill a couple of problems came up last year...first they sort of neglected to release new updates for several months last year and then they were accused of actually taking money from spy-ware sites to NOT list their spy-ware in their definations. Patrick Koella, who is the German student who wrote the SpyBot program used to work for Ad-Aware, untill the allegations about the spyware thing came out.

Spy Bot rocks, I use it on every PC I am on and it has NEVER caused a problem with any OS on any box.

Hell, the program is worth $50 bucks, but Patrick still gives it away....what a guy!  

IP Logged

Click The Flag
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 18th, 2003, 11:06pm »

i did get to add spybot before i had to go to work today..dont know if it helped or not...still have icons at the bottom...they are my Real Player, Internet Start , Link, and Microsoft..dont know how the hell they got at the bottom..i am so computer stupid...cant get much done as first i dont know what to do, and second i am so busy, cant get online much...thanks for all your help... ;Dnancyc
IP Logged
Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 19th, 2003, 9:23am »

Nancyc,
     I hope you understand that you have to run spybot to have it clean your computer. Click "search and destroy" and then at the bottom click "check for problems". It may run for a while to find everything. Then click " fix selected items " at the bottom then click yes when it asked you if you really want to do it. To get rid of those pesky start up Icons in the system tray, click " tools " on the bottom left, then click " system startup " on the left, it then gives you a list of startup programs. When you click on the items it will tell you what they are if the are in the database. Startups like realtray, quicktime, netscape, winamp, and others aren't needed. you uncheck the boxes, turn off spybot, and reboot to remove them. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Mark, Thanks for the screen shot
Opus/Paul
IP Logged

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 19th, 2003, 11:07am »

Opus,
Thanks!  I loaded and ran Spybot.  Removed a bunch of crap.  My computer boots 5 times faster now.  Nice to know that XXXTeenvery *friendly* persons cookies aren't on my drive anymore.

PS-Geez the filter on this MB cracks me up!
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2003, 11:08am by Bob P » IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
jonny

Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 19th, 2003, 12:02pm »

Same here Bob, I kept getting this message that my "n-CASE" file were deleted and I should D/L them.....I did again and again. Opus/Paul told me to do a goggle search and it turns out I was D/L'ing fucking more and more spyware.

I cranked up spybot and killed every frigging bastard on my machine......Running like Bruce jenner now ;D

Thanks Opus/Bill/Paul...or whoever the fuck you are today.....LOL ;D

............................................jonny
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss