Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 9:35pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « DHE »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   DHE
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: DHE  (Read 305 times)
Tim_w
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Finer than frogs hair!

Email

DHE
« on: Oct 15th, 2003, 4:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hay gang!
What can anyone tell me about DHE?
My noro is setting me up for a 48 hour DHE.
What can I expect,and will it work for a Chronic?
Thanks for your input!
PF Wishs around the room! Kiss
Timw Happy Pappy ;D
IP Logged

We will all go to HEAVEN we have been to HELL! -(Personal Quote) YES There is life out There (Thank you to my new suporters)
They say this will only make me stronger but I did not ask to be SUPERMAN
Carl_D

Email

Re: DHE
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15th, 2003, 4:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Was hospitalized for a week back in August of 2000 for emergency care. I was on DHE-45 for four days straight, wasn't getting hit with any clusters or shadows. Then the day I came home from the hospital, I just started getting them again, and they gradually picked up where it left off. My overall feeling was that I was bruised and sore over most of my body with alot of malaise, and still getting clusters.
I'm also a chronic, so I guess maybe for us chronics that's just the way it goes.
I have heard it said that .11 percent of the worlds population has CH, of that percentage, 20 % are chronic and of that 20 % of chronics, 20 % don't respond to most meds. Guess what percentage I was lucky enough to fall into.

Peace,
Carl D
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15th, 2003, 4:52pm »

Only had it once with two other meds in an iv at the er.  I kicked the shit out of the beast.  I was able to sleep for about 9 hours.
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15th, 2003, 8:25pm »

I've been on it off and on for about 12 years. When the headaches get totally out of control the neuro puts me on it. Usually about 4 days of IVs and then injections every 8 hours until the cycle breaks. It usually does for a little while.  

When I was episodic it would break a cycle. When I went chronic, it would break it for a few weeks at a time. But I could get some rest in between, so I took it.

Since I got on Topamax, I've only had to take the DHE a couple of times and it worked to break a cycle then.  

So I guess if you take enough of it it works. It's not that bad IV, but feels like battery acid when you get it with injections. Leaves knots in your butt.

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Surf

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 15th, 2003, 8:35pm »

I'm gonna put that on my list of arsinals. Right up their with the Beast Blaster double odd with full choke.
IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 15th, 2003, 10:15pm »

October 1997 after Dave went through a 7 month cycle from Hell he went into the hospital for a week for DHE treatment...They administered it through IV...  It broke his cycle gave him a break so he could sleep and become human again... 24 hours after he was home he got hit and it was as if the beast was saying Im still King... then they went away... So it broke the cycle for Dave... don't be surprised if you still get hit a few times at home afterwards... Good Luck Tim we love ya... go for it... might be what the doctor ordered......... ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
don

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16th, 2003, 12:38pm »

48 hours of DHE aborted the worst cycle of my life. That was 2 years ago and I've been cycle free since.
IP Logged
OneEyeBlind
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Yea, I can do this

topnoodle

« Reply #7 on: Oct 16th, 2003, 4:38pm »

Hey Tim, I like Don's answer ............ and I'm hoping for the same for you.  Let me know when you are going in and where.  Ya ain't that far away ........ so i'll try and stop by and see ya !  Best of luck to ya.
IP Logged

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
Tim_w
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Finer than frogs hair!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16th, 2003, 4:56pm »

Thanks for the input!!
Still don't have a date set yet !  
When I find something out I'll keep you posted
Timw   Trying to be a Happy Pappy   Undecided
PF Wishs a round the room
IP Logged

We will all go to HEAVEN we have been to HELL! -(Personal Quote) YES There is life out There (Thank you to my new suporters)
They say this will only make me stronger but I did not ask to be SUPERMAN
KingOfPain
New Board Hall of Famer

Disgusted!

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16th, 2003, 5:02pm »

Tim,

July,2002...... I had a 3 day (in hospital,admitted)  
DHE IV
treatment.

They will monitor your blood pressure closely.

I don't know how they will do it with you,
I had to have mine (BP) taken on a regular basis.

No, I do not have BP problems & never have.
There is a BP risk with some folks with
DHE IV treatment.

They took my BP lying down, standing up, &
sitting down (upright) on a regular basis.
They took my BP before DHE IV  
administration & after.
Not sure how many times DHE was given  
or how many times BP taken, was out  
of it (dopey) alot.

The CH was uncontrollable at the time, so
my Neuro tried the DHE.

Fine while in hospital & getting the DHE,
3 days later CH was back.
Back, but not with the intensity,duration,
or frequency it (CH) was hitting before the DHE.

I was so out of it most the time with other  
meds Neuro had me on to relax & rest.
I had not gotten much if any sleep
in a long time before this hospital trip
because CH was running rampant.

*On a personal note, that was when I  
found out about the plant closure  
(where i worked), while lying in the
hospital bed.
Came on the local news.
Local news reported before my
company even told me.
Swell.
What a way/time to find out you
are about to be out of a job.
Timing is everything.

Good luck, hope it helps.
Helped me, sort of.

KingOfPain
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2003, 5:03pm by KingOfPain » IP Logged

Arrived August, 1999.

We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter.
- Denis Diderot
Real friendship is shown in times of trouble; prosperity is full of friends. - Euripides
Virginia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

v49acosta  

« Reply #10 on: Oct 16th, 2003, 5:11pm »

Back in the day when I was episodic and would wind up in the ER every few months, they would shoot me up with DHE.  It would usually break up a cycle.

February, 1997 I was hospitalized for 8 days for the head.  Every 4 hours they shot me up with DHE, Prednisone, Dilaudid, and Thorazine.  Pain finally stopped on the 8th day.
IP Logged

The Clusterhead formerly known as 9erfan.
Kenzie60

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 17th, 2003, 11:41am »

Hi, was in the hospital for DHE for 4 days in April 2003, it broke my cycle and I was PF until 3 weeks ago.  They sent me home with the DHE shots to give myself.  I only had to use them once a couple of weeks ago.  I am still in cycle right now, getting hit about 4 times a day.  I am unable to use the DHE shots as they have caused damage to my heart.  I see the cardiogist on Monday.  Give it a try, alot of people have had success with it.  Good luck.

Roseanne
IP Logged
2late
New Board Hall of Famer

Ride Free..Pain Free

Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 17th, 2003, 7:02pm »

just got thru with 25 straight day's of dhe & it broke the worst cycle i ever had. my treatments where 5 day's in office & 20 day home treatments'.......i highly recommend this med!  best of luck to ya!                     ...............Jack
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 20th, 2003, 2:23pm »

Tim - add me to the success list for DHE.  Hospitalized back in January 2000 for 6 days on a DHE IV drip.  Came home and only had 2 more ch's and that's been it since then.  I was also on Keppra (decreasing dosages) and Topomax (increasing dosages) and then Verap as well as O2.  Unlike Barbara - the injections blew out my veins - between the DHE and the med the give you first so you don't get sick from the DHE.  It really made me feel way out there in the beginning, but as the 6 days went on, my head got a little bit straighter.

Good luck to you with this - it stopped my cycle completely.  Keep us posted on the date....

Mia
IP Logged
Unsolved
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I'm still alive ?

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 20th, 2003, 3:39pm »

DHE ... ahh yes. I get it ALL THE TIME. I just had it again the other day. Spent a few days in the hospital getting .5 mg of DHE via IV every 8 hours (as long as my BP stayed down). The others are right, DHE has a tendancy to raise your BP, so the docs monitor you pretty closely. I would also recommend some Phenegran so ya don't puke your head off. They give it to ya in hopes that it'll break your cycle, but it never has for me (just gives me some R n R). I like to get it every 6 weeks or so. (I really need the break). If your clustering hard, you'll probably like the break. Goodluck.
IP Logged

I need a fully automatic Imitrex injector
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss