Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 11:39pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Has anyone taken Tegretol before? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Has anyone taken Tegretol before?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Has anyone taken Tegretol before?  (Read 235 times)
Carl_D

Email

Has anyone taken Tegretol before?
« on: Oct 13th, 2003, 6:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The pain management Doc put me on Tegretol, and so far I am experiencing some of the same side effects that I did with Neurontin: Loss of balance and coordination, jittery hands (which makes it hard to type.) I get little spasms im my hands and fingers and just feel wierd. Anyone else taken this with the same symptoms? Just wondering.

Carl D
IP Logged
andy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

Re: Has anyone taken Tegretol before?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13th, 2003, 9:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Carl, i have taken tegritol in the past but not for CH. It is an anti-seizure med. I took it for TN (trigeminal neuralgia) it will take some time to get into your system before you will notice anything. In my opinion it will not do anything for CH but worked great for TN. I had few side effects but i was really fucked up back then though.  
Good luck and keep us posted.........andy
IP Logged
Dave_Emond
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 13th, 2003, 9:47pm »

Hi Carl..  Dave E's wife Annette here.    
Dave was prescribed Tegretol 2 years ago.. he took it for only a few days He began getting the jitters and some pretty radical mood swings for such an easy going guy right away.  Within a couple more days, he was having convulsions/ seizures? and blacking out.  
His neuro stopped it immediately and the problems stopped just as fast.  
Be careful!   BTW his dosage was as follows... we keep all the old bottles as well as records..
1 tab at bedtime for 3 days
then 1 twice daily for 3 days
then 1 three times a day...  he was taken off it on the morning of day 6!!!
Hope this info is valuable to ya....  and hope this med works for you.  As I said tho.. since you are jittery... be careful.. don't do anything that could be considered risky until you know for sure.    
Annette
IP Logged

Obstacles are those frightful things we see when we take our minds off our goals.
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14th, 2003, 12:39am »

It can be a tricky drug I understand but for some epileptics, it works pretty good. It hasn't been prescribed for me yet.  

One of many seizure drugs used for CH......Good luck.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14th, 2003, 1:58am »

I was given Tegretol when I was misdiagnosed for Trig. Neuralgia.
It did not combat my clusters.  
It DID take 9 months of my life, that are still a bit of a haze to me, especially on the emotional level.

Paraphrasing Ueli: worthless against clusters but makes great zombi's!  

Stay away from that stuff!
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
Brian_Y

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14th, 2003, 12:54pm »

I took it once and talked non-stop for literally hours and hours.  I was given it for depression.

Can you imagine someone like me not shutting up?  

Ever?

Shaddup!!!

I am serious, tho, I talked and talked and talked and talked and had strange dreams.
IP Logged
stuey

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 15th, 2003, 2:34pm »

My nephew takes tegretol for his seizures and it stops him from seizing as long as he takes them regularly.  I am taking trileptal for my seizures which is tegretol with an added molecule which doesn't cause me to have to worry about white blood cell count as tegretol users have to.  Everyone reacts to different meds differently.  Trileptal does nothing for my CHs.  I tried Topamax as an anti-convulsant and as a possible preventive and it made me so high and lethargic I refused to take it.  All I can say is that side effects usually wear off after a week or two once your body gets used to it.  I just couldn't get used to the Topamax.  Since trileptal is so similar in make up to tegretol I can only say from my experience it doesn't help my CHs or pain, but if it works for you I would be happy for you.  Anything that works.
IP Logged
Carl_D

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 15th, 2003, 2:50pm »

Well here is my update on Tegretol.

I find it interesting that Tregretol is basically Trileptle. What, does my Doc hate me or something? I am ALLERGIC to Trileptal. That could be why I am itching like a crazy man, have no balance or coordination,I get hand tremors, wicked dreams (I blame that on the Amytriptyline), fighting off an upper respiratory infection, and my head is literally pounding. Telling the new neuro about this tomorrow.

Peace,
Carl D
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss