Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 30th, 2024, 1:24am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Need advice »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Need advice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Need advice  (Read 239 times)
jonny

Email

Need advice
« on: Oct 11th, 2003, 2:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Can anyone tell me if this is an ok system?

Kirk. Mark, Fubar, DRK, Opus......anyone?

http://www.lindows.com/lindows_sales_intro.php

Im getting tired of the BS im dealing with.

.........................................jonny
IP Logged
Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

Re: Need advice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11th, 2003, 3:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Jonny,
   Lindows is a version of Linux that is suppose to be easy for windows users to move too. They aren't as free with there OS as you cannot easily down load it and I am assuming it doesn't come with any utilities as they charge per year for a down load service. I was thinking of them but I noticed the minimum hardware requirements are right up there with Windows XP meaning it wastes a lot of processor power on just doing nothing like XP does. It is suppose to be able to run Micro$oft products with out to many problems but who would want to anyway.

Lindows is being sued by Micro$oft for obvious reasons which is a real good reason to get it. It supposedly has the rock solid stability of Linux but I just read that it doesn't have the same security.

http://theregister.com/content/56/33226.html

If you want to get into Linux, Mandrake would probably be your best bet. I have been trying to get it for free but haven't had much luck yet. I am suppose to get DSL monday, " I have heard that before", and then I will be able to download huge files.

There is a lot of good software made for Linux and some of it is free. I am planning to run two machines, one with Linux Mandrake http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/

and one with Free BSD http://www.freebsd.org/

Hope this helps,

Opus/Paul
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2003, 3:09pm by Opus » IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
Dave_Emond
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11th, 2003, 5:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey jonny,
 know ya don't like reading long posts, but just happened to read this article in Consumer Reports about Lindows:

Wal-Mart’s $300 computer  

Wal-Mart, the world’s largest retailer, now offers a line of 9 desktop computers through walmart.com that are noteworthy on two counts: They’re among the cheapest, with some priced around $200, and they’re the first widely available machines driven by something other than Windows or Macintosh OS X.  
We weren’t impressed. The computer we tested was OK for Web browsing, e-mail, and letter writing, but not much more. And anyone who equates "low-priced" with "basic and easy to use" will be frustrated. Instead, we recommend that you spend another $200 or so for a low-priced Windows computer, like the ones in our June 2003 desktop computers report.  
We tested the $298 Microtel Sysmar742 (since replaced by a slightly different model). It uses Lindows, an operating system that looks and feels like Microsoft Windows but is based on the Linux operating system. (Linux is a free operating system intended to be updated and improved by volunteers.)  
Windows, Lindows, what’s the difference? At first glance, the Lindows desktop may seem familiar. But the Lindows directory and file-naming conventions are very different. In addition, the computer didn’t detect or install a memory-card reader plugged into the USB port. Attaching a scanner, digital camera, or PDA will be difficult or impossible.  
Can I use Windows programs? No. The manufacturer says Lindows can only "somewhat run a limited number" of Windows programs. You may not be able to open, view, or use documents from Windows applications, but most photo or music files should work fine.  
How do I get software? You can download most software from the Lindows library ($99 a year). The computer comes with a word processor, a digital music file player, Netscape, and little else. Installing non-Lindows software can be tricky. There is no Lindows version of Quicken, Outlook, or other such applications.  
Where do I go for tech support? You call one number for hardware problems, another for software. Neither number is available around the clock. Our computer crashed several times during tests, and its built-in help system didn’t help much.

I wouldn't go near it!
 Hope this helps,
 Dave
IP Logged

Obstacles are those frightful things we see when we take our minds off our goals.
jonny

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 12th, 2003, 3:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks bro's.....it does help

What a fuckin family....I love it!!! ;D

..................................jonny
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss