Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 30th, 2024, 1:29am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Question. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Question.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Question.  (Read 345 times)
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

Question.
« on: Oct 11th, 2003, 3:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hello, i'm sorry if this question was previously asked/discussed, but i am seeking information.  Has anyone here (or does anyone know of anyone who has) successfully applied for SSD?  i am hoping a precedence (sp?) has already been set.

Thanks you,
mia
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: Question.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11th, 2003, 4:09am »

I am chronic and suffer 8 ha a day.  Have been like this the last 6 years.  I also get aprox 4 migraines a month.  I would end up in the ER aprox 4 times a month for 4 years straight.  I was unemployed for a year.  I applied for disability 3 years ago based on ch and the depression it causes.  I was deniged because of the ch but approved for the depression.  I was on an antidepressent and was depressed over being in constant chronic pain.  I explained that I found it hard to impossible to focus or concentrate during my employment or to do anything else for that matter.  When I was at work I wasn't at work because I was in bathroom bangin my head throwing up etc hiding.  I was approved the first try and within 6 months.  Good luck on your attempt should you decide to try.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Dave_Emond
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11th, 2003, 5:47am »

Yes you can, for quicker and better results you should have a statement from your doctor and neurologist. They will have to fill out forms again from SSA stating your Cluster Headaches are severe enough that they insist you cannot work.
 However, when you apply, you should tell them you are willing to work with them on finding a job you can do. And do whatever you can to work. Not only is it good therapy for yourself, but also a sign that you are willing to do everything in your power to become self sufficient.
 It is very important that you fill out all forms in complete honesty, you'll be filing out many forms, they will check them for inconsistancies on both what you tell them and your doctors tell them. Don't mail in forms if possible, meet with them face to face. Bring in your own statement as to why you cannot work, or only work part time. Report all income you receive, cash or otherwise.
 Bring along information about Cluster Headaches for them to read. Stay in close contact with your agent, never lie or even embelish on anything you say or write.
 SSA will only give you assistance, not enough to live on, so it's very important you do all you can to find ANY type of work you can handle. Are you Chronic or Episodic? If Episodic, tell them when your cycles begin and end, again honesty is the issue. Cluster Headaches are considered to be disabilitating to a degree. Once you have done all of the above, you'll most likely know within 3 months whether you qualify or not. If you do, you will most likely have a 3 month "Trial Period." You will get assistance during this time, and possibly back pay for time you could not work because of doctors orders. During the waiting & trial periods, do everything possible to work and report all income to your agent.
 Once you qualify and go through the trial period, they will most likely put you on another 12 month assistance. During this time, and I'm assuming you'll have found some type of work and reporting it, you'll stay in contact with your SSA agent. You then have to prove to them you can earn enough on your own to get back off SSA assistance. 9 months of income above the income rate they give you (these are non consecutive months) will allow you to drop the assistance, which should be your goal. If you cannot prove self sufficiency over time, you will then qualify for Medicare as well. This is a serious situation, only apply if there are no other avenues you can take. For your future, you must fight this Beast with all you have, for your own dignity and for your fellow Clusterheads. If you need help, you can E-mail me. I will only help those who are willing to help themselves to do everything possible to make it on their own and are completley honest about all questions. Hope this helps clarify a few things, E-mail me if need be.
 Dave
IP Logged

Obstacles are those frightful things we see when we take our minds off our goals.
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11th, 2003, 7:58am »

on Oct 11th, 2003, 4:09am, Karla wrote:
...I applied for disability 3 years ago based on ch and the depression it causes.  I was deniged because of the ch but approved for the depression...

That, in itself, would be depressing, at the very least.  (I'd probably have gone "postal". Angry)

Have to wonder who draws up those guidelines or makes the decisions.     Roll Eyes

grant     Cool
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Oct 11th, 2003, 6:16pm »

miapet,
Click on these blue lines. They may help in you search.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10029.html#Part%202
  SS disability benefits site.

http://clusterheadaches.com./wwwboard/messages/80406.html  
Carl D (2-2-01, advice on disability benefits

http://www.migraines.org/disability/disabcdl.htm
   Trip 6-30-01 document on current disability laws (from Migraine Awarness Network)

http://www.chhelp.org/index.html
  Links to imformation to get help  
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
FrankF
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Oct 11th, 2003, 6:35pm »

I agree with Dave_E regarding filling out the forms. You need to fill out the forms completelt and honestly leaving no blank spaces. The time spent filling them out may decide whether you get approved or not (My wife was in an auto crash and is permanently disabled. I filled out the forms for her and she was instantly approved for SSDI).
IP Logged
Dave_Emond
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 11th, 2003, 6:45pm »

Right Frank!
 No blanks!
 There will not be enough room to answer some questions, attach a paper with question #'s and answers in order.
 Simply put "see attached" for these areas. Leave no question unanswered.
 Dave
IP Logged

Obstacles are those frightful things we see when we take our minds off our goals.
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 12th, 2003, 1:09pm »

Thank you all so much.  I really appreciate your quick responses and genuine help.  mia
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss