Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 9th, 2024, 1:33am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « another new one on me... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   another new one on me...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: another new one on me...  (Read 415 times)
UnsolvedEquation

Email

another new one on me...
« on: Oct 9th, 2003, 12:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My neurologist just called :
I posted awhile back about my neuro going to a convention where they devoted a good amount of time talking about CH. They say that a high percentage of clusterheads have sleep apnea and are undiagnosed. They also say... If you find out you have sleep apnea and you treat it accordingly, your clusters may be reduced by up to 70%.
Well...I just had my sleep study night before last and low and behold ~ I have sleep apnea. My O2 levels dropped to 85%. I go in for another test on the 20th.
IP Logged
KingOfPain
New Board Hall of Famer

Disgusted!

Re: another new one on me...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 1:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Repost(s).

<http://www.achenet.org/articlessave/52198/weintraub.htm>  

Headaches and Sleep: The Connection  
by James R. Weintraub, D.O.  
We live in a sleepy society. Many people live in chronic pain. Often headaches and sleep disorders, specifically insomnia and sleep apnea, coexist with one aggravating the other. Brain systems involved in the regulation of sleep may also play a predominant role in the initiation of migraine. Some of the brain physiological changes that occur during sleep, particularly during REM sleep, are similar to those described during migraine headaches. There have been several clinical studies which have demonstrated an association between migraine headaches and sleep, and often headache can be a presenting symptom of sleep disorders. Many researchers have found an increased incidence of sleep disturbance in chronic headache patients, although the data are difficult to quantify because nighttime sleep studies are not always feasible in chronic headache patients. Below, I will discuss some of the different sleep disorders and their relationship with various types of headaches including migraine and cluster headaches.  
There are various stages of sleep that we go through during the night. The most important stage in relation to headache is probably REM sleep. REM sleep, which occurs 4-6 times during the night, is the dreaming state of sleep. We do know that migraine headaches, and even more so cluster headaches, occur in direct relationship to the number of REM sleep periods that one has during the night.  
We also know from experiments in the 1950s that people who were REM sleep deprived were more likely to develop some underlying psychiatric or depressive illness with or without headaches. It is suspected that certain chemicals in the brain not only play a role in the mechanism of migraine but also predispose people to awaken from REM sleep with a headache.  
Migraine attacks may not only be precipitated by sleep deprivation, but by excessive sleep, as is the case frequently on the weekends when people sleep in and trigger a headache. It is also known that sleep is associated with the relief of migraine attacks. There have been observations in scientific studies that when sleep acts as a precipitating factor for a headache, it is usually sleep deprivation that stimulated the attack. Other people have experienced migraine attacks precipitated by excessive sleep where the pain is relieved or aborted with the onset of sleep. Migraine headaches usually occur either during or after REM sleep or in delta sleep which is the deep sleep that we all require in order to feel alert and refreshed the following day. What remains unclear are whether the changes in the neurotransmitter or chemical systems in the brain, hormonal influences, or a combination of several different phenomenon are the cause.  
Research has suggested that certain headache disorders are associated with different patterns of sleep disturbance, which may influence the response to treatment. There has been a link between the cyclical variation in cluster headaches and chronic paroxysmal hemicrania, a certain type of one-sided headache, to the REM sleep cycle. Nighttime or early morning headaches are common in sleep apnea, and there have been episodes of nocturnal cluster headaches precipitated by decreased oxygen from apneas that occur during the night.  
Sleep apnea is an underdiagnosed and undertreated problem in our society. It is more often seen in middle-aged men than women, and is characterized by loud snoring, being excessively sleepy throughout the day and having periods in which the person stops breathing during the night. Sleep apnea can be diagnosed by a nighttime sleep study, and successfully treated predominately with nasal CPAP, which involves the use of a mask and breathing machine during the night.  
Since decreased oxygen and transient hypertension are noted to occur with sleep apnea, it has been suggested that these factors can trigger early morning headaches. These headaches are typically located in the frontal areas, but can be diffuse involving the entire head.  
Cluster headaches are a one-sided severe headache attack that is usually accompanied by nasal stuffiness and eye tearing, and frequently occur during nighttime. There has been an association of these attacks to REM sleep, and research has noted an increased incidence of sleep apnea in patients who experience cluster headaches. In fact, in one report patients who have cluster headaches and sleep apnea were also noted to have experienced bed-wetting and night terrors during childhood. In patients with cluster headaches who have sleep apnea, it is suggested that they may be experiencing an episodic decrease in oxygen during the night that can precipitate the headache attacks. In patients who have chronic cluster headaches, it is noted that two-thirds of the attacks usually occur during the last 2 hours of sleep.  

(continued, next post)
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2003, 1:37pm by KingOfPain » IP Logged

Arrived August, 1999.

We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter.
- Denis Diderot
Real friendship is shown in times of trouble; prosperity is full of friends. - Euripides
KingOfPain
New Board Hall of Famer

Disgusted!

« Reply #2 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 1:20pm »

In children who experience migraine headaches, there has also been an association with sleepwalking. Boys are more likely than girls to sleepwalk, although girls are more likely to experience headaches. The general population experiences a 1%-6% likelihood of sleep walking, yet this rises to 30% in migraine patients. There have been suggestions that serotonin, a brain chemical that is believed to be involved in the generation of migraine headaches, may vary greatly in the brain of patients who sleepwalk and could be the connection between these two problems.  
There appears to be prominent associations between various sleep disorders and different headache types, and research is ongoing to look for anatomical, biochemical and electrophysiological relationships between these two entities. It is believed that structures in the lower back part of the brain, the brainstem, play a significant role in headache generation and normal sleep. In addition, a structured and regular sleep schedule can help to decrease the frequency of headaches, given the impact of excessive sleep or sleep deprivation on triggering headaches. When you discuss a headache problem with your physician, it is important that you give as much information as possible about your normal sleep patterns. It is important for the physician to be aware of the various sleep problems that can lead to increased severity of headache. Sleep apnea, sleep deprivation and insomnia are common sleep problems that are associated with headaches.  
Hopefully, in the future a better understanding of the relationship between headache and sleep will be achieved as experiments in both fields try to help people with these problems.  
James Weintraub, D.O. Michigan Head* Pain & Neurological Institute. Ann Arbor, MI  
Reprinted with permission from Making Headway, the Help for Headaches newsletter, Windsor, Canada (June 1997).  
From Headache, volume 8, issue 4. Winter 1997-1998  

« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2003, 1:34pm by KingOfPain » IP Logged

Arrived August, 1999.

We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter.
- Denis Diderot
Real friendship is shown in times of trouble; prosperity is full of friends. - Euripides
KingOfPain
New Board Hall of Famer

Disgusted!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 1:20pm »

See 1st link.  

<http://www.sleepmed.md/patient_prepstudy.htm>  

More for information:  

<http://www.sleep-breathing.bc.ca/sleep.htm>  

<http://www.sleepstudy.org/>  

<http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/sleepbasics/viewasleepstudy.htm>  

KingOfPain  

IP Logged

Arrived August, 1999.

- Denis Diderot
KingOfPain
New Board Hall of Famer

Disgusted!

« Reply #4 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 1:21pm »

UnsolvedEquation,

Just thought I would provide some info.

Even if it is some what dated, still an  
interesting read.

Hope you don't mind.    

KingOfPain
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2003, 1:35pm by KingOfPain » IP Logged

Arrived August, 1999.

- Denis Diderot
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 1:48pm »

KOP:

very interesting read...    I am going to go for a sleep study as soon as my gov't healthcare kicks in (probably Jan.)

Since quitting drinking, I'm amazed if I get more than 4 hours of sleep per night.  (This gives me a LOT of extra time to study.)  When I was a kid, I could regularly get by with minimal sleep.  I rarely slept in until the "drinking years" began.  Even after a night of drinking, I rarely would sleep more than 6 hours.

Also, I've always had problems with drowsiness during the day    ie. falling asleep within the first hour after lunch.  (In the past, that has even got me kicked off of a contract.     Angry)  After a 10 minute power-nap, I'm refreshed and ready to go.

Anyone else have "bizarre" sleep patterns?

grant   Cool

IP Logged
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 1:49pm »

BTW...     what happened to "unsolved equation"?   He was here a couple of hours ago to start this thread, but now he is showing up as a "guest".

IP Logged
jonny

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 1:53pm »

His profile has been deleted, dont know if he deleted it or not but its gone.

..................................jonny
IP Logged
Killroy 2.0
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kilroy 2.0 is Here! Kilroy 2.0 is Everywhere!

gmlevenhagen  
Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 2:12pm »

Just went through same thing my self  
and my doc said same thing also

Gena
IP Logged

Do the walls speak to you? Do you follow the Geek Messiah? DO YOU COMPLY?!
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 2:19pm »

on Oct 9th, 2003, 1:53pm, jonny wrote:
His profile has been deleted, dont know if he deleted it or not but its gone.

..................................jonny

Your grasp of the obvious is underwhelming, jonny     LMAO

grant Wink
IP Logged
Woobie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I luv you guys!!!!!!!!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 2:20pm »

Ramon has sleep apnea too..........

Where'd UE go?
IP Logged
jonny

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 4:07pm »

on Oct 9th, 2003, 2:19pm, brain_cramps wrote:
Your grasp of the obvious is underwhelming, jonny     LMAO

STFU.....LMMFAO ;D

......................................jonny
IP Logged
Big Dan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

SMASH BRAIN!

Danboyceccg   DanielNBoyce
Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 5:27pm »

-Big Dan
IP Logged

Not going anywhere for a while?...

... Grab a Snickers, Fatass.
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 5:29pm »

WAAAAAYYYYYY TOO FUNNY!!!!  Dan
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2003, 5:30pm by brain_cramps » IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 8:49pm »

LMH(iney)O...you guys are better than watching the sox tonight........  

wayyyyyyyyyy better.... we can't lose.........wahhhhh~

ree * whose really sad right now bout the sox    

IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 9:15pm »

Ok has anyone figured out what happened to UE yet?
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss