Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 5th, 2024, 2:19am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Cluster and TMJ »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Cluster and TMJ
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cluster and TMJ  (Read 539 times)
violet
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

Cluster and TMJ
« on: Oct 4th, 2003, 10:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Group,
Anyone here ever get realy hideous shooting pains in thier jaw and teeth with a Cluster?  I was told that it was TMJ, but I get the eye pain then, and the tears, like someone stuck an ice pick in my eye, and the pain shoots down my cheek,  to my jaw and across my teeth.
Thanks,
Vi
IP Logged
tsayswhy
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

Email

Re: Cluster and TMJ
« Reply #1 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 10:57pm »

hello Vi: no i dont get pain in my jaw but i know some here do.

when i am having my cluster it has always been in behind the eye [like a ice pick]
or like the last cycle i went through it was in the temple
area.

sound like you are having a rough time, i hope you feel better soon.
IP Logged

if you are going my way---i will walk with you
andy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 11:31pm »

Vi, it could be Trigeminal Neuralgia- Trigeminal neuralgia   is a painful, unilateral affliction of the face, characterized by brief electric shock light-like (lancinating) pains limited to the distribution of one or more divisions of the trigeminal nerve. Pain is commonly evoked by trival stimuli including washing, shaving, smoking, talking, and brushing of teeth, but may also occur spontaneously. Or maybe Cluster-Tic syndrome  I hope its not, I HAD TN 10 years ago and it sucked worse than CH does.  Get to a Neurologist for a diagnosis.  ...........andy
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 11:37pm »

Hi, there..i have chronic chs and TMJ...no fun at all...pain in my jaw and face alot with the TMJ...i have to wear a splint at nite...found my TMJ can trigger my chs if i am grinding alot...Thank God for my neuro who treats me for both of these....smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
andy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 11:39pm »

Nancy, what is a splint? Is it a nightguard?     .........andy
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 12:11am »

Yep, same thing...my orthodonist made it for me...cost plenty but it helps with the jaw pain especially if you clench like i do in my sleep at times...stress , stress ...it will affect every part of your body...i hate it....Andy, what did they do for your TN?  I have a friend who has it...she had surgery and it really messed her up...Her face has no feeling in it at all now...Looks like she had a stroke on one side of her face...really sad....smiles, nancyc
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2003, 12:13am by nancyc » IP Logged
andy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 8:05am »

Nancy, I tried MANY different meds for my TN, Lots of muscle relaxers, pain killers...the only one that worked was Tegritol (Carbemezipine) The surgery was an option for me, im glad i didnt go for it. I have been  TN PF for 7-8 years now. Im sorry about your friend, I wish she could have gotten relief with meds, but sometimes surgery is the only option. That sucks!!  I still have episodic CH and am med-free and painfree. o2 works for me and imitrex inj. for the bad ones.    PFDAN  .....andy
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 9:13am »

I've always thought there was something with TMJ and CH, but it's never been proven. I grind my teeth also.

Years ago I was going to have the dentist make me one of those thingys to wear at night to keep you from doing that and a friend of mine told me to go get a football mouthpiece instead. It's cheaper - does the same thing. I did and it does. 89 cents... replace it when you wear it out.   Works great - no more grinding at night.  

Just a thought....  Hugs  BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Turts
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 9:29am »

Hey great post.

i have been experiencing jaw clenching pain after a ch for ages. never thought it could have been something different.,

Always though it was stress involved with the ch. I read here about the mouthgard myself, and have been using it for sometime now (only after a kip 8 or higher late night (8pm or 3am))

IP Logged

'I'm very brave generally,' he went on in a low voice: 'only today I happen to have a headache.' (Lewis Carroll)
andy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 9:42am »

on Oct 5th, 2003, 9:13am, BarbaraD wrote:
I've always thought there was something with TMJ and CH, but it's never been proven. I grind my teeth also.

Years ago I was going to have the dentist make me one of those thingys to wear at night to keep you from doing that and a friend of mine told me to go get a football mouthpiece instead. It's cheaper - does the same thing. I did and it does. 89 cents... replace it when you wear it out.   Works great - no more grinding at night.  

Just a thought....  Hugs  BD
Barbara, that is a good idea, i wish i had thought of that back then before i spent several hundred bucks on mine. The only difference is that a real nightguard is made out of harder material and it is perfectly formed to your teeth. Mine dosnt fit anymore, go figure ............andy
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 10:45am »

My mouth guard does not stop me from grinding though ...it helps but does not stop it completely...Wont catch me without it anymore...it really helps the jaw pain...i stopped wearing it for awhile and the TMJ triggered off my chs bad....When my stress level goes up, my TMJ flares up too....smiles,nancyc  PS Andy, so glad your TN is ok now..I heard that TN is even more painful than chs...is that true? Aren't you going to be at the florida gathering? I hope so...would love to discuss this with you.
IP Logged
andy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 11:21am »

on Oct 5th, 2003, 10:45am, nancyc wrote:
  ...I heard that TN is even more painful than chs...is that true? .
Nancy, in my opinion, yes TN is more painful than CH. I use to make funny faces all day every day for a year or so because the pain was so severe. Maybe thats why they also call it Tic-doulearoux.  

tic=n : a local and habitual twitching especially in the face. Yes i will be at the Florida gathering, i cant wait to finally meet another clusterhead     ...........andy

IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 12:20pm »

You lucky dog  you --- you'll get to meet NANCY and ME... and see our pink blow up Thingy.... How lucky can you get!!!!!! LOL!!!!! Only four days to go......... Hugs BD
IP Logged

UnsolvedEquation

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 12:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I don't have TMJ, but damn my teeth, jaw, and everything else hurts during a cluster.
IP Logged
andy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 12:30pm »

Barbara, i think that the pink blow-up thingy is blue. ........andy
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 1:27pm »

That thingy is PINK -- ask Donna -- I got pics too.... BD
IP Logged

andy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 1:33pm »

on Oct 1st, 2003, 11:14am, Donna wrote:
I''m ready and so is Barb G and Andy.

Just one shocking report for me to make......the pink thingy is BLUE.............look at your pictures from last time.  

IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #17 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 2:23pm »

I suffer classic cluster pain.....but I have ALSO experienced a "clicking" sound that reminds me of TMJ.  Sometimes I'll be eating a sandwich with friends and everyone can hear this "click" sound that happens when I chew a sandwich....I don't have a clue what this comes from and have mostly ignored it, but i do wonder where it comes from....? ???  TMJ?  I dunno.  All i know is it is loud and people sitting with me hear it and i'm usually self concious about it....
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #18 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 5:47pm »

Natch, just the joint in your jaw on that side that cracks - like people cracking their knuckles, you know?

Happens if your mouth is too full or the filling is tough (and something for no reason at all) .

Happens to me, on the side I DON't have my clusters.
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #19 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 6:04pm »

Last cycle, I experienced quite a bit of pain in the jaw and teeth on the side of my HAs.  

Usually when my cycle ends, it comes to an abrupt stop.  Last cycle, I had shadow-like HAs accompanied by the jaw-pain for around 3 months afterwards.  (nothing major --- more just annoying)  I have a couple of "bad" teeth, but not in that area of my mouth.

This continued pain was very unusual for me.

just my .02 worth,
grant    Cool
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #20 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 11:24pm »

Pink or blue..i cant wait to play with it again LOL....Hey, looks like some more of us clusterheads may have TMJ problems...would not be a bit surprised...see you guys in florida..smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Oct 6th, 2003, 12:36am »

on Oct 5th, 2003, 8:05am, andy wrote:
 I still have episodic CH and am med-free and painfree. o2 works for me and imitrex inj. for the bad ones.              PFDAN  .....andy

Why am I confused by this?  
You're in remission right now and not using anything?  
If so, I hope it's a lfelong remission. If not, maybe you could explain?

PF
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
andy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #22 on: Oct 6th, 2003, 8:06am »

PF, yes im in remission now. I meant that i dont take preventitives. Maybe a pred burst when the next cycle hits.  .........andy
IP Logged
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Oct 6th, 2003, 8:27am »

Smiley
Thanks Andy. I hope there is no next cycle!!

PF
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
Carl_D

Email

« Reply #24 on: Oct 6th, 2003, 9:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My doctor asked me a few years ago if I grind my teeth in my sleep. I told him "Honestly, I don't know, cuz I am asleep at the time." I was diagnosed with TMJ, and also know my jaw sits crooked. Imagine that. I asked my doc if there is any possibility that I might have arthritis in my skull. He just looked at me funny. However, this morning and the last few days have been trying on me, and my jaws, the back of my head at the base of the skull, and my neck ACHES! I can tell you days before the weather starts getting all freaky and changing around here, because I feel it in my head. This time of the year is the hardest on the noggin, and if I get a headcold, which I almost always do, double whammy!
Fun fun fun.

Peece,
Carl D
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss