Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 3rd, 2024, 7:45am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Not ch related....or is it???? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Not ch related....or is it????
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Not ch related....or is it????  (Read 229 times)
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

Not ch related....or is it????
« on: Oct 4th, 2003, 9:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is driving me crazy....A few weeks ago, I was waking up with my hands and arms completely Dead...asleep....it would take hours to get them awake...it was so painful..My hands would be cold but there was no color change in them.The Doctor took me off topamax even though he did not think this was the reason....I have started again, waking up about every hour with my hands asleep...it does not take but a few minutes and i can get the numbness to go away..but it keeps doing this all nite..Again, i have not noticed any color change in my hands and they are not cold like before.....I have read on the net that it can be from meds like imitrex and even some b/p meds..i am on verapamil and imitrex..It can be from carpel tunnel, Vascular disease, stress , etc....Does this happen to anyone else? I dont think it is Raynaurds (spelling?) as it only happens when asleep...If you can help me, please do...THis is scaring the crap out of me...smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
FrankF
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Re: Not ch related....or is it????
« Reply #1 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 9:30am »

It happens to me sometimes but I think it is because of the way I sleep. I sleep in a waterbed laying on my side, usually with my arm under the pillow. Sometimes I'll wake up with my hand and arm numb from the elbow down. Then it will be ok in a few minutes.
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 9:36am »

But mine is happening every nite....about thirty times a nite..and my hands wont be under my head or anything..smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
Donna
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 9:41am »

Nancy..........my hands do this every so often....when I have a Rheumatoid Arthritis flair up.  Been going on for years and years.  After going numb, they ache so bad I can't lay still.  I have to get up and position them so that the feeling comes back.  Sometimes I get it on one side and have to dangle my arm down off the side of the bed.

Maybe ask your doc for a blood test?
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 10:11am »

nancy,
Vaso constrictors will cause this over a period of time. Mine have been numb for years. don't worry about it....

My feet have been numb since the eighties... I just live with it.  The hands -- I've just gotten used to.  I can't believe yours are just now starting..  

Go back and read in the archives -- there's some stuff on this....  

Take some niacin -- it helps some if it gets real bad. Makes you flush (they have a no flush formula, but I never can tell if that stuff is working).  

Pain -- numb --- I'll take the numb.....

Hugs  BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Hound_Dogg

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 10:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Nancy,

You may also look into the possibility of a nerve root problem (herniation or bulging) in your cervical spine. Are you having this problem in both hands? Is it a certain group of fingers that are numb, or the entire hand?  

I have a bad neck problem and this happens all the time, to me. Some people don't even notice there's a neck problem until this happens.

It also sounds a lot like Carpal Tunnel. Irritating though...isn't it. It bothers the heck outta me.

Jim
IP Logged
Jackie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go For It!!!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 10:27am »

Nancy,
Haven't you had some cardio issues?  What's you BP doing?  Like Donna, I have some circulation issues connected with arthritis.....ask for the blood test, Sweetie.  

I can't comment on the use of niacin as Blake has never taken it......but, if memory serves me (sometimes it still does.. Tongue) there was a thread on niacin use and it causing attacks....a trigger for some.  I think it was Jayne that had trouble with it....again 'I think' it was Don that put up the info. on niacin use...can't swear to anything though.... Undecided

Keep us posted....

Love ya,  
Jacks Cool
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 10:51am »

Thanks, everyone...it is in both of my hands..the entire hand is numb...I can not sleep anymore because of it..I am waking up constantly...It does not hurt like it did when my arms and hands went numb for hours but it is definetly messing up my sleep pattern..and i sure dont need that...had to take an imitrex shot last nite...think i am not getting enough rest and changing from topamax to lamictal too....i am going back on the topamax now that i know it was not the culprit...also, gonna ask for some blood tests...smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 11:42am »

My hands and arms go numb quite often when I go to sleep and it wakes me up then I have to struggle to get my arms into another position.  But I'm pretty sure its from the Fibromyalgia (diagnosed with it at 16)  It'll also start during the day when I'm using the mouse for too long.  As long as I move around alot it doesn't happen.  I would get it looked into if I were you Nancy cause there are so many conditions out there that can cause numbness.
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
violet
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 10:45pm »

Have you ever been checked for Thoracic Outlet Syndrome?  
Vi
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 11:42pm »

Vi, can you email me more about TOS? I have been hearing about this when I was reseaching my symptoms...I am a nurse who tends to diagnose myself before the Doctor does LOL...thanks , nancyc
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss