Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 4:18am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Are you making your clusters worst? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Are you making your clusters worst?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Are you making your clusters worst?  (Read 886 times)
Dave_Emond
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Are you making your clusters worst?
« Reply #25 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 4:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

When I have high level attacks, I cannot type at the computer. But, I have for the most part over a few years of practice, learned to stay seated duing an attack. (sometimes I get thrown to the floor, but force myself back up).
 My thinking has been that the pain is so bad, the brain does not understand what to do with it. That being my theory, I've been trying over the years to "teach" my brain how to react during an attack. This has been a long and still progressing method of coping. I started with a list of things I did while under attack. The first was to stop trying to divert pain with pain, never helped anyway, and wasn't doing the rest of my body any good as well. Then on to emotional states. Anger and frustration seem to prolong attacks for myself at least. As well as self pity and depression. Then on to trying to sit through attacks, accept them, knowing it will pass eventually. Just these first things took almost a year to accomplish. The main key was to "practice" these things during EVERY attack, no matter what level. By repeating these things over and over, it is my hope that during attacks when I have little control of my own thinking, my brain will learn this "pathway" to follow. Now with two years of doing this (adding other aspects to my list) I think it has been working to some degree. I must focus my thinking toward something, anything. I still have a long way to go on this, and continue to pratice every attack. The only drawback on this, might  well be what you refer to as overcompensating ... I tend to spend so much time "thinking" I forget to breath properly. Annette has to remind me often to breath deeper. O2 used to help, but has long since quit working, so I'm still practicing every day and night and probably will be for as long as this Beast hangs around. Since no medications have worked, this is all I have left to fight with. It is all the more clear now that this has kept me going since that evening in the ambulance. With the tremors (or whatever) shooting through my body I tried using this same coping method to bear it. But, once strapped down flat on my back, I got hit with a 10 CH attack. I fought extremely hard to keep thinking, but after awhile, I couldn't keep it up. Once I "let go" so did the rest of me and had to be aggressively forced to breath and want to fight to live. I've been experimenting with memorizing things, song lyrics, scripture, quotations, etc., and "trying" to add that in as a diversion of thinking during attacks, haven't gotten very far with that yet, but still practice all these coping methods every attack no matter what level. This method works pretty well during the mid-day attacks when I am stronger. Nights are tougher. I try to post inbetween attacks, which I'm usually in heavy shadows, but even if it takes me 1/2 hour to type out a small message I feel like I at least have some control, my mind feels better and I can think more positive.
 We all deal with this differently, I would believe each of us are all still working daily on coping methods and can't dispute how anyone chooses to deal with it in their own way. So, that's my take anyway,
Dave
IP Logged

Obstacles are those frightful things we see when we take our minds off our goals.
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #26 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 5:13pm »

"Copein vibes" goin out to ya Dave !!!! And Bob P what did we say bout touchin yerself !!! Pam that's head is no where at the time
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #27 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 5:35pm »

Interesting thread,
Very civilized.
My take on this has sort of changed through the years. I used to, not too long ago, tried to ignore an oncoming HA as long as possible...maybe it will go away, maybe just a shadow, maybe I can just bust my through with plain ole meaness, sometimes I still try that last one. like yall sid, I HAVE to do SOMETHING!

Since my time at CH U I have come to believe in early intervention to abort an attack...the sooner the better!

So, in the beginning I try to function but there comes a point where I am basically helpless until the beast releases his grip...no computer, no people, no light, no peace, just me and my "perfect pain"...alone togther.

To add to the no pattern stuff I have also had attacks last has long as 15-20 hours. We have discussed this in the past and most believe that is "back-to-back" attacks. Maybe, maybe not, all I know is I have had real bad attacks for a lOOONG time before finally being released. Modern meds have cut those type of attacks, but they can still happen. Last October I was getting 2-4 times a day, kip10's and I will be honest...they all sort of run together when it's like that for days, or weeks, or months....God help us!

PFDAN's
Mark
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2003, 5:36pm by Mark C » IP Logged

Click The Flag
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #28 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 5:52pm »

LOLOL you guys are funny............ I just have one thing to say
MIGRAINERS RULE THE CONTINENT!!!! LOL
especially short ones from Massachusetts that like Turtles..... and used to be nice but arent nice anymore LOL

and I don't sit in the dark like most Migrainers do, because life goes on.............. I...hehehehehehehhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeee~~~  I must be insane ~~~or I must have just taken care of 5 kids under age 3 for 10 hours ~~~ weeeeeeeee I'm free til Tuesdayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy....  

if you hate Migrainers ignore this post ...............
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
ckelly181
New Board Old Timer
USA 

To err is human; To forgive, canine.

Email

« Reply #29 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 6:20pm »

on Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:38am, don wrote:
How the hell (Or why for that matter) could anyone under attack want to work at the computer anyhoot?

Because at work, there are little kids sitting within hearing distance (I don't have a door to my office) and at home I can whine and cry, but not here. I try to concentrate on something else so I don't panic and hyper-ventilate. When I sit in my office chair and rock, I concentrate on the pain and I was trying to concentrate on anything ELSE but the pain and the computer is sitting right in front of me.
The original post made me consider that I probably should concentrate on the pain.

I appreciate that insight.

Chris
IP Logged

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #30 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 7:41pm »

on Oct 2nd, 2003, 1:31pm, BarbaraD wrote:
Ok, here goes back -- when I get hit - I HAVE to find a focus on something other than my head... I turn on the TV and try to focus.... I hit the O2 and coffee while trying to focus on the TV (I really hate TV,but any old port in a storm)....  

Then (when I do take the meds) after something starts to work and the pain lessens and I settle down a little I still have to focus on something so I hit the computer (going back to bed is NOT an option at this point.) As long as I keep busy doing something that requires "thought" of some kind I can get through it, but if I don't concentrate on something, they seem to hit back to back....

DING DING DING DING!!   ;D

I too need to find something to concentrate on while getting hit.  Sometimes, I'll take a number, multiply it by the same number, take the product and multiply it by the first number and keep going to see how high I can take it.  (all in my head)  I only do this when being hit.  When I reach a 9 or higher though, you can throw all that right out the window.  It does absolutely nothing for the attack other than occupy a portion of my thoughts.  I have no problems sitting at a computer or even working at a 7 or less.  It sucks ass, but I can do it.

BTW, no, I'm not sure I have CH...unfortunately, a few other docs are sure I do.  I wish they were wrong though.   Roll Eyes

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

...WAS PF since Oct.'02, but ...oh my...(CBusters)

Email

...works for me...
« Reply #31 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 8:59pm »

"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

--Bene Gesserit, Litany against Fear

IP Logged

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me... This will not kill ME...
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #32 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:06pm »

The only thing I was ever able to concentrate on was my strange contortions and thinking up new expletives not to be deleted. Lots of moaning, and threatening any being who came near me. When not at home, I just did my best to do nothing and become invisible.  No way did I do anything useful.  

I don't think I ever made them worse of last longer by my actions, other than when my technique shortened them.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

« Reply #33 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:44pm »

I don't know if the computer or tv would make my attacks longer...cause I JUST CAN'T DO IT!!!!!

I concentrate on breathing...try to anyways.  And yes, dark, and by god no people or sound!  The spare bedroom is deemed "the hell room"...and if mom goes into the hell room, ALL gets quiet.

I used to lie on my stomach, fetal style and rock and breathe into my pillow.  That was when I was a teen and had NO idea that I needed oxygen!!

Now I'm facing forward, fetal position, rock and BREATHE o2.  I watched Cat and Roxy at the convention holding thier breath...it's a natural instinct whilst in pain I think.  I kept trying to remind them to breathe.  When I learned to try to Breathe during an attack, it was a little easier for me to cope.  At least I felt like I was fighting.

Oh shit...what the hell am I saying?  I'm female, I don't get clusters  Tongue

Mast
IP Logged

Mastifflvr28 (aka Michelle A.)
Be part of the solution
http://www.ouch-us.org
OXYGEN!!!
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
Callico
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Proud Dad of a US Marine!

Email

« Reply #34 on: Oct 3rd, 2003, 1:33am »

I'm with BarbaraD on this one.  I have to focus and use some to the priciples of the LaMaze childbirth method while huffing on O2, (if I get to it before it's full blown).  There is no way I can try to post anything with mor than a K4, cause I can't hit the keys in the right order.  Nor do I sit still.  I squirm and wiggle and bounce my legs and rock back andforth and sometimes even walk around my chair while using the mouse.  I usually play freecell though instead of solitaire.  CH does ruin my win percentage though. ;D

I think it is interesting to see how others deal with this thing.  The biggest problem with O2 that I can think of though is that I can't drink coffee with the mask on.

jc
IP Logged

"When He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him; He turns on the right I cannot see Him. But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me I shall come forth as gold." Job23:9,10
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #35 on: Oct 3rd, 2003, 12:21pm »

Pull the mask off - gulp the coffee and put the mask back on -- Got that one down to a science.  Grin  Not exactly in Emily Post's Book of Etiquitte, but it gets you there!  

I've also been known to stick my head in the freezer at times. Geezzz the things we do to get a minute of relief... But we're NOT crazy not crazy not crazy.......

Hugs  BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Elaine

Email

« Reply #36 on: Oct 3rd, 2003, 4:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Shitt Bob now the truth be known.....Women have headaches men give them. This has been known for years. Wink

You guys just couldn't stand it and came up with a headache that was for men only the worst know pain to man !  For men only!!!! Damn the things you men will do!
You men are just not happy unless we women have nothing of our own!!!! Angry

IP Logged
jonny

Email

« Reply #37 on: Oct 3rd, 2003, 5:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Oct 2nd, 2003, 5:52pm, Ree wrote:
I just have one thing to say
MIGRAINERS RULE THE CONTINENT!!!! LOL

IM FUCKING CRYING HERE....ROTFFLMMFAO....Hahahahahahaha ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ree, you rock!!!! ;D

................................jonny Cheesy
IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #38 on: Oct 3rd, 2003, 6:25pm »

awwwwwwww yes I do!!! LOL   thanks jonny I didn't think anyone noticed me... I'm so invisible sometimes lol love ya Ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #39 on: Oct 3rd, 2003, 6:29pm »

on Oct 2nd, 2003, 5:52pm, Ree wrote:
if you hate Migrainers ignore this post ...............

on Oct 3rd, 2003, 6:25pm, Ree wrote:
awwwwwwww yes I do!!! LOL   thanks jonny I didn't think anyone noticed me... I'm so invisible sometimes lol love ya Ree

I was noticing...just elected the ignoring option.   ;D
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Big Dan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

SMASH BRAIN!

Danboyceccg   DanielNBoyce
Email

« Reply #40 on: Oct 3rd, 2003, 8:10pm »

... the last bad night I had, the Grand Finale lasted about 6 hours... into the 5:00am hour...

It was about an 9, and the previous five that afternoon/night were between 6 and 8....

I was lying down (rolling back and forth and hitting my head on the headboard) due to pure exhaustion from the previous duels, and towards the last hour of it all, I started going into some strange trance (probably from lack of sleep, and all the work I had been doing to fight)... The laying down didn't help, but I couldn't stand... I actually tried and my knees started to buckle....

... and sometime after the trance started, I passed out, and believe I vomited slightly (judging from the foul taste in my mouth)..

... so as far as 'thinking'... I don't do much at all, other than follow wallpaper patterns, or glares from lights....

-Big Dan
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2003, 8:11pm by Big Dan » IP Logged

Not going anywhere for a while?...

... Grab a Snickers, Fatass.
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #41 on: Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:02pm »

on Oct 3rd, 2003, 6:29pm, Prense wrote:

I was noticing...just elected the ignoring option.   ;D
ahhhhhhhhhhh put a sock in it you know you love me.............ree
IP Logged

Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #42 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 12:04pm »

I HAVE to keep myself as distracted as possible for as long as possible when I get a CH...but when it gets to a certain point in the pain scale I HAVE to move around if my legs will let me (sometimes my knees buckle and my legs go jello during a high level attack)  

"That's my story and I'm sticking to it" Wink
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
ksmiggy
New Board Junior

doh!

ksmiggy  
Email

« Reply #43 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 3:32pm »

Apologies to those offended by my earlier post, came on line at a bad time , had to vent somewhere, i understand the need to be sure of a correct diagnosis, and was merely pointing out that there do seem to be a lot of variations to the symptoms of CH, although also a few comman ones, and that help and support is what we are here for, to me the earlier post read as CH racism (ei:  I don't get that, your not CH), having read it now....., as i said earlier , apologies.  

Straying back on topic,   I find if i sit and do nothing, the CH gets worse, I try to concentrate on something, anything, I daydream, to take my mind off the CH ( i have won and spent the lottery many times) sometimes it helps , sometimes it doesn't, but sitting and waiting for it always delivers.
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2003, 3:46pm by ksmiggy » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss