Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 11:39pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Clusterheadaches & Anxiety »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Clusterheadaches & Anxiety
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Clusterheadaches & Anxiety  (Read 1354 times)
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

Clusterheadaches & Anxiety
« on: Sep 9th, 2003, 3:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For Patients  
Health Prose: A One-Minute Update for Your Health  

Cluster Headaches: Do They Cause Anxiety Disorder?
University of Iowa Health Science Relations
Peer Review Status: Internally Peer Reviewed  
------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------
The intense pain of cluster headaches may not be the only worry for those patients suffering from them.  
Patients with cluster headaches--severe headaches occurring in clusters of several months and then receding--have a higher rate of anxiety disorders during the time between clusters of headaches and show memory deficits during headache clusters, according to a recent University of Iowa Health Care study.  

Ricardo Jorge, M.D., associate research scientist in the UI Department of Psychiatry and lead author of the study, said the impetus for the study was a previously identified link between migraines and depression and anxiety. Cluster headaches, similar to migraines in many ways, were thought to have a similar link, increasing the likelihood of patients getting mood and anxiety disorders.  

"If cluster headaches occur frequently with anxiety, the headaches may cause the anxiety or the other way around," Jorge said. "It is important to know the relationship between them so that doctors may treat patients better."  

Cluster headaches' intense pain lasts 15 minutes to an hour. This pain usually occurs over periods that last a few months. After this time with multiple and severe attacks, the headaches disappear for a long length of time and then begin again without warning.  

The causes of cluster headaches are unknown, but some evidence suggests changes in blood flow in the brain and dysfunction in certain brain areas. The incidence of cluster headaches is low, and cluster headaches affect more men than women, at a ratio of as many as seven to one. These figures may be somewhat misleading; doctors are increasingly diagnosing cluster headaches in women, Jorge noted.  

The association of cluster headaches and anxiety disorders may also be related to brain dysfunction, especially certain areas known to be involved in the development of mood and anxiety disorders, according to the researchers.  

There is no universal treatment for cluster headaches, Jorge said, although many treatments may be divided into managing the headache attack or decreasing the number of attacks during a cluster. Oxygen is often used to alleviate the pain as it happens, while other medications, including lithium, are used to reduce the length of an episode.  

While there may be a link between cluster headaches and anxiety disorders, more work should be done before attempting to decide how best to treat patients with both or who are likely to contract both, Jorge noted.  

"We need a bigger sample and then we will try to replicate our findings. Then maybe we can see if any specific type of treatment or approach is needed for those patients with cluster headaches and anxiety disorders. We also need to further research the significance of the memory disturbance involved with these headaches," Jorge said.  

Cathy
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

Re: Clusterheadaches & Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 3:15pm »

Found this if anyones interested at  

http://www.vh.org/adult/patient/psychiatry/prose/clusterheadaches.html
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

CathiP

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 7:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Good stuff, Miss Fluffyknickers...thank you for providing it.
Comments?
IP Logged
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 7:55pm »

Thanks Cathy.....appreciate the info !!! Pam that learns sumthin new every day
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Lori
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 7:58pm »

I'd like to see how many of us here with clusters actually have had any other type of mental illness episodes, anytime, not just during a cycle. I bet there is alot of us. I personally have suffered from depression, sometimes severe, severe mood swings, anxiety, etc. Long history of it. I always suffer anxiety & depression during my episodes too. But I have suffered these things when not in cycle, big time.  
Interesting..
IP Logged

Blessings and PFDAN,
Lori

Psalm 23:4 ~ Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 8:36pm »

Thanks cathy.
If you don't mind I would like to make a comment or three to Dr. Jorge.

Dear Dr. Jorge,
Clusterheadaches and anxiety? What are you talking about? Ain’t no such thing.  

That delicately sensitive sensation behind the eye, that tenderness in the temple, the ache in the upper jaw that signals the shadow is starting. Knowing that in 5 minutes the devil will be in full scale attack mode. Make a person anxious? Naw. Never happens.

“The exquisite, excruciating pain of a Cluster attack” (thanks Drummer) causes anxiety? Nope. Never happens.

The nightly “Habitual ritual” (thanks Kim) of pacing, ice packs, injections, screaming and pounding the walls to get the “Charlie Horse in the head” (thanks Oringkid) to cease and desist cause anxiety? Nope. Never heard of it.

Logging on to CH.com and reading the posts of pain, threats of leaving this world, tears shed for others, bad doctors, insurance company screw-ups. Make a person anxious? Nope, I don’t think so.

Dr. Jorge, you say “"We need a bigger sample and then we will try to replicate our findings.” I say, There’s 4000 of us at this website. For hell’sake how many do you need?

Maybe, Dr. Jorge, you can find a little free time to read this website, our “Oasis” (thanks Margi), away from those that have all the answers in their books but fail to really provide any help. Then write your book about the real world. But then, who’d read a book about the real world. Kinda take the $ out of the book business, right? And that would be depressing, right?

BobG

IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Whomever said that two heads are better than one?

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 11:00pm »

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle.....
The guys 'n' gals at the good ol' U of I finally did a study on CH. Knew it had to be coming they were ranked #3 in the nation as a teaching hospital some years back.......ummm how many is a mystery and where are my keys? Can a brotha get a Xanax?

Ramon
IP Logged

I would rather face the end with terror than terror without end. - (Deitrich Sawatsky 194?)
head_darts
New Board Newbie

give me a break

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 11:08pm »

maybe there's a point to this.  i've often wondered if this condition could be a result of the way we naturally defer stress.  anxiety is one way.  i've found that sometimes i avoid confrontation and get angry about it later.  it's not unheard of for people to blow a fuse, but what if you don't do that?  do you get ch?  i don't see how that is not an option.  this year i have often resorted to alcohol to ease my stress.  cause and effect.  

so what do you others think?  could ch be a result of supressed stress?

by the way, they DO use anti depressants to treat these in many cases.
IP Logged

when you have reached the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
Dave_Emond
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 11:13pm »

Go get 'em Bob!
 Although I've had Anxiety Disorder for almost 20 years I don't see any connection between CH and actual Anxiety Disorder.
 Does CH cause us anxiety? To paraphrase Bob ...
 DUH!
 Of course it does in many forms: Stress, depression, fear, frustration, etc.
 But, does CH cause Anxiety Disorder ... No.
 Does Anxiety Disorder cause CH ... No.
 I have 3 brothers who also have Anxiety Disorder, one to extremes I can't imagine. Do they have CH? No.
 I studied into this possiblity years ago and could easily have written a better article than this.
 I've been on Xanax for about 15 years, this controls the Anxiety Disorder. Because this is an addictive medication, I've tried several other non addictive meds to control it (Paxil CR, Zoloft, Welbutrin, etc.) But, unfortunately only Xanax works.
 I've now caused myself two problems though. I've also been using Xanax to control myself during severe CH attacks. Since no medications for CH have worked (a list too long to print here), I've had to go without medications for some time now. This means I've had to try to cope chronic CH with no pain relief. The Xanax doesn't touch the pain, but it helps just a little to calm me down and keep me from injuring myself on purpose or doing other stupid things I used to do in my attempts to fight the beast (or want to give up the fight).
 I do not in any way suggest using Xanax for any reason, even Anxiety Disorder. Wish I never heard of it.
 Back to the article, I wonder how much money in grants and other means one like Dr. Jorge gets to spend on this "research"?
 I'd bet if his funds were cut off, he might get a little anxious. Who knows, if we "studied a big enough group" of people like him we might know more.
 JMHO,
 Dave
 (Now, where's my research funds?)
IP Logged

Obstacles are those frightful things we see when we take our minds off our goals.
paul_b
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

guido90601  

« Reply #9 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 11:41pm »

Well stated Dave.
IP Logged
BillyJ.

Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 10th, 2003, 12:50am »

MY OPINION
    CH can cause anxiety but not necessarily an  
anxiety disorder.
    Take a look at all the things related to the hypo-
thalamus:blood presure,heart rate,resperation rate,
sleeping patterns,metabolism,seitonin levels,mood
disorders,migraines,CH,,
    They all are controlled by OR at least related to
the hypothalamus,so it is not surpising to me that more
than one symptom be present.However that does not
meen that one causes the other or that a person who
expieriances one will have all of these 'abnormalitties'.
    We know that all of these things have common
links but I dont think that it can be stated as fact what
is cause and what is co-occurance.We know that the
hypo. is abnormal during CH but why?Maybe that is the
result of some thing else going wrong??
     Bob,Dave, well said looks like a BS study to me  
too,but,at least clusters are being looked at,it's a start.
    Just my opinion,
    PF2ALL,
    Billy
IP Logged
Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Whomever said that two heads are better than one?

Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 10th, 2003, 12:00pm »

I would have to disagree about CH not causing anxiety disorders.
  I happen to have an anxiety disorder and my first breakdown came the year, within a month or two before my first CH attack came. Now was it actually caused by CH? probably not, however, I have been on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds the whole time since my CH was diagnosed. the ugly truth is that humans are fragile mentally (in general) and anxiety IS a direct result of too much stress in many cases.......would anyone here disagree that stress is a major side effect of CH?  do we not get paranoid of our next or future cycles if episodic? and if chronic you KNOW you are freaked out on a daily basis. C'mon folks.

Ramon
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2003, 12:00pm by Cerberus » IP Logged

I would rather face the end with terror than terror without end. - (Deitrich Sawatsky 194?)
hopefull
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 10th, 2003, 1:02pm »

Anxiety causes your blood pressure to go up....right?! blood vessel constrict swell....bring on CH
Just a thought so don't flame me..
I have panic attacks for years use breathing exercise to control also use with Ch...helps at high point of pain...

IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 10th, 2003, 1:50pm »

Yeah, what others said.

But remember, at an university there is one cardinal rule:

Publish or perish!
IP Logged
FrankF
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #14 on: Sep 10th, 2003, 2:03pm »

on Sep 10th, 2003, 12:50am, BillyJ. wrote:
MY OPINION
         CH can cause anxiety but not necessarily an  
anxiety disorder....

Agreed. For me anxiety is the extreme dread that I feel knowing another attack will occur today, tommorrow, the next day, and the next, and so on. Not really an anxiety disorder.
IP Logged
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 10th, 2003, 2:09pm »

anxiety to me means.......tryin ta handle things that are "out of my control to change"....things I have to do I dread also rates for anxiety fer me. Pam that's had one too many anxiety attacks.......one zillion too many
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

surfshi
New Board Junior

ONWARD THROUGH THE FOG!

Email

« Reply #16 on: Sep 10th, 2003, 2:37pm »

Hmmm..Dr.J at the uof I.. Well Hmmmm.   I wonder if Dr.M in their neurology dept. has consulted with this guy..?Hmmm.Been camping lately!Doc?              Hay fellow boardsurfers do you think that if a person was going through a cycle and could not get ahold of their (neuroligist) for  say , lets be consevative now, 10 days, that this would cause  anxiety? Well according to this the  
days
would. In turn  
create more clusters. Thanks Doc  
I got to go now  
having  
an                 anxiety attack.
but pain free for almost a month now. BEEN THEIR U of I ....SURF
IP Logged
Lori
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #17 on: Sep 10th, 2003, 2:46pm »

I like what Billy J said :
 <snip>Take a look at all the things related to the hypo-  
thalamus:blood presure,heart rate,resperation rate,  
sleeping patterns,metabolism,seitonin levels,mood  
disorders,migraines,CH,,  
    They all are controlled by OR at least related to  
the hypothalamus,so it is not surpising to me that more  
than one symptom be present.However that does not  
meen that one causes the other or that a person who  
expieriances one will have all of these 'abnormalitties'.  
<Snip>

MAYBE this is just something else to support the hypothalamus theory? If nothing else, the fact that a study or research is being done on CH is a good thing I think.
IP Logged

Blessings and PFDAN,
Lori

Psalm 23:4 ~ Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
surfshi
New Board Junior

ONWARD THROUGH THE FOG!

Email

« Reply #18 on: Sep 11th, 2003, 12:08am »

Hmmm. I agree with Lori. Research :o
IP Logged
surfshi
New Board Junior

ONWARD THROUGH THE FOG!

Email

« Reply #19 on: Sep 11th, 2003, 12:09am »

Hmmm. I agree with Lori. Research Shocked
IP Logged
Dave_Emond
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #20 on: Sep 11th, 2003, 1:17am »

Although I can see why many might think there's something to this. I've got to stick to my experience in this area, past studies and just the plain lack of even a hint of comprehensive research by this Doctor.
 CH does cause "feelings" of anxiety. This Dr. could have pulled any disease, disorder or even high school final exams out of his hat and applied this theory!
 I'm not down playing the affects of anxiety and how it in turn effects ones life, anxiety just plain sucks.
 However, Anxiety Disorder stems from a chemical imbalance in the brain. There are several forms of Anxiety Disorders. If left unchecked, and not treated, it can create higher level disorders such as Bipolar Disorder.
 It wasn't long ago that Anxiety Disorders were not taken seriously at all. Those who had AD back in the 70's will well back this up. Once they finally got their heads out of their A$$'s and started to realize this was a real disorder and more people suffered from it than previous known, they finally started to find treatments.
 But alas! The pharmecutical world saw potential in this. The doctors started passing off all kind of patients as just "stressed with anxiety" (How many CHer's heard this? Especially women.)
 Then it almost became a fad, people could now blame almost anything on anxiety, or have anxiety to excuse away almost anything.
 We can now sit and watch cute little bubble's who are sooo sad on TV commercials, but just buy some Paxil and you'll soon be the happy bouncing little bubble. Bunch of crap!
 People who have Anxiety Disorder rarely know it for quite a while. They are afraid to tell people what they are feeling, because they can't explain it themselves. It can make one feel like they are losing their mind. (And are usually sure they are during a Panic Attack.)
 There are no outward physical symptons that can be seen by others. We just look ridiculous so we hide in embarrassment.
 I can explain CH to others a hundred times easier than I can try to explain Anxiety Disorder, that's of course a no brainer, I can't explain it to myself after at least 15 years of dealing with it.
 Some who don't have the disorder can have Panic Attacks, and other forms of the disorder. So can relate somewhat to these feelings. Like CH, anxiety for those who truly have the Disorder, know there is no proven cure. But, unlike CH, the Disorder can be controlled with medications and in some cases alternative methods.
 Exposure of reference to CH in anyway is not a good thing! Especially when it is tied into something that is so off the wall. The research is so wishy washy, I can't stand the idea of CH even being brought up. What serious doctor or researcher is going to find a bit of creedence in this study? Moreover, I'd be worried that CH sufferers would lose more ground than we are making by foolishness printed by those who as Ueli so well put it;
 "Publish or Perish!"
 Sorry if I sound upset, I guess I am somewhat though to be honest. Not at those who think there may be possiblities, we'll look anywhere and should. You could research this on your own and come up with more than this in less than a day. Problem is, you won't get any money for it Wink
 I'm glad Cathy showed us this article. I may try to find this Dr. Jorge and contact him. Can't find enough of a "sample group" ... BS! Hmmm ... I wonder what happened when he just typed in Cluster Headaches into his Internet Browser? Must have missed CH.com or OUCH right at the top of about every search engine I've ever seen.
 My opinion:
 Unqualified researchers have been know to cause anxiety in CH sufferers.
 Okay, off my soapbox now, just needed to let some things out, thanks,
 Dave
IP Logged

Obstacles are those frightful things we see when we take our minds off our goals.
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #21 on: Sep 11th, 2003, 2:05am »

I'm just a Clusterhead...................

But my medical opinion is that Ricardo Jorge may just need to seek the services of a Board Certified Psychiatrist.......for personal treatment    ???  

Jean   in Texas who would like to go with Dave to Iowa to find Jorgie Poo.............lmao
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
surfshi
New Board Junior

ONWARD THROUGH THE FOG!

Email

« Reply #22 on: Sep 11th, 2003, 2:09am »

i'll refer him to mine...Surf
IP Logged
surfshi
New Board Junior

ONWARD THROUGH THE FOG!

Email

« Reply #23 on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 12:55am »

BUMP....SURF
IP Logged
surfshi
New Board Junior

ONWARD THROUGH THE FOG!

Email

« Reply #24 on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 8:32am »

OK I found this University Study interesting so here it goes again...bump...any additional input on the anxiety thing or the U of I research method. anyone else here get it..Hmm.bump again. Surf
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss