Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 18th, 2024, 8:48am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Depression over emotions »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Depression over emotions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Depression over emotions  (Read 596 times)
thp
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Depression over emotions
« on: Jan 10th, 2008, 10:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all -

I've been reading this page over the last decade but never have written in.  I'm in week 4 of a cycle and getting extraordinarily depressed.  I am on verapamil and O2 which largely takes care of the CH attacks.  But I feel like my sleep is disturbed anyway such that I am getting really depressed - especially in the morning to early afternoon.  By mid afternoon I come through some wall and start feeling better again - not perfect, but better.  Compounding all of this is that we have a very vivacious and happy 17 month old - full of life and happiness and it kills me that I have nothing in me for him.  Let alone my wife, who is saddled with chasing him down and dealing with the void that is her husband.  Just wondered what others have done in this situation - any thoughts.  Hoping this is going to be a sho

Thank you-
Tom
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Depression over emotions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 11:23am »

You might want to try melatonin as a supplement to help you sleep. I started it on cycle and continued with it when my cycle ended and it's done wonders for helping my sleep cycles.

Depression can be a very serious condition, please don't hesitate to seek professional help. We suffer from one of the nastiest most painful conditions there is, getting a little depressed is certainly understandable! Combined with a 17 month old, sheesh, you've more then got your hands full.

Hang out with us a lot, for me just talking about it with others helpe me a lot. We're here for you, good luck!!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 11:26am »

Hi Tom. Guiseppi's right about seeking help with the depression. CH is hard enough to deal with on it's own.

Sleep deprivation can cause us to get all screwed up emotionally, too. Melatonin might help. It's worth a try for sure.

Talking to us may help also. Keep talking...

pf and happiness wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 12:31pm »

12 years!  About time you said hi  Grin  Welcome to the Family Tom.

These two have given you some good advice.  You've had these cycles for 12 years now.  You know what passes for normal for you.  If the depression you feel isn't "normal" then get some professional help with it.  Please don't ignore it.  Your 17 month old and your wife will thank you.

-Dennis-

IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 1:03pm »

thp,

I agree--try the melatonin--it may help you fall back asleep rather quickly after having to get up and use O2.  Sleep loss is no pretty picture and tends to go hand in hand with CH.  If you can get your sleep (or get back to sleep) you've won half the battle.  I use melatonin, and it's helped my sleep a lot.  Good luck and I hope you feel better.  Star
IP Logged
maryo
New Board Junior
USA 

Johnny & Roy puzzle where to apply the O2 mask

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12th, 2008, 12:29pm »

I, too, am troubled with depression -- maybe two days a week I'm awash in hopelessness and depression, always after a bad night -- bad hits and/or too much broken sleep. I have several other factors making this year particularly bad.

Someone referred to headaches in women as "female hysteria syndrome." I have been treated as such so much that I bristle at any suggestion of medication for depression.  

I have a 27 year history of ch. Most of those 27 years involved more disappointment than satisfaction with treatment providers (allopathic as well as alternative). I guess you could say I'm hardened. Plus I'm having the worst episode ever, by far.  

Isn't some depression and anxiety normal for these circumstances? I work with people in nursing homes. They're just about all on antidepressants. I guess I have a philosophical problem with treating people who are suffering a normal negative response to their circumstances as if there's something wrong with them!

I went through many ch episodes as a single mom of two active boys. As a result they are the most understanding of my suffering. I would phone their dad not uncommonly at 5 a.m. and say, you gotta come get the kids up and on the bus, I'm out of commission. He always did, and without resentment that I could detect.

So if you have one functioning parent in the house, that's a plus. Bring your wife flowers. Hire a babysitter. Sometimes with women, little things go a long way. I make sure to get physical exercise, and as much as I would love for my doctor, friends and husband to empathize, they can't quite empathize like my buds on this forum. Thanks everyone.

IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12th, 2008, 3:48pm »

This is such a complicated problem and our language adds to the confusion. "Depression" is NOT the same as the blues or sadness. By definition, depression is something which continues for days/weeks even when surrounding circumstances in our life are not bad, when good things are happening.

Normal mood swings--which can be wide and painful--but which change with daily circumstances, are normal emotions.

For normal mood swings, medications don't work in a helpful way. (Another issue to explore later! <bg>Wink For true depression, meds can be most helpful, with maximum benefit coming when combined with counseling/therapy.  

Finally, too many docs Rx an antidepressant and never follow-up to make the dose changes, even type of med change, which is a regular feature of the treatment of true clinical depression.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2008, 3:49pm by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Shedz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

OUCH UK MEMBER

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 12th, 2008, 5:20pm »

Hi thp, welcome to the board. Apart from the CH, I too suffer with depression, more so when in cycle. My Dr ups my dosage of anti depressants when in cycle and drops them down again when the cycle is over.
  I'm in cycle at the mo,and take 60mg of Citalopram per day.

Paul.
IP Logged

I push my fingers into my eyes, It's the only thing that slowly stops the ache, But it's made of all the things I have to take, Jesus it never ends it just works its way inside, If the pain goes on, I AM gonna make it.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xps7AM8HbjE
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12th, 2008, 5:48pm »

on Jan 12th, 2008, 3:48pm, Bob_Johnson wrote:

Finally, too many docs Rx an antidepressant and never follow-up to make the dose changes, even type of med change, which is a regular feature of the treatment of true clinical depression.

This is an interesting point, does the responsibility lie with the doctor to follow up every patient or with the patient to come back reporting findings to the doctor?

I am not so sure if it is the doctors fault for not doing follow up. The doctor should explain at the time of prescribing that the antidepressant wont work immediately, that it takes 1-2 weeks for it to start working - with some not working fully until 4 weeks down the track. The doctor should also explain that the patient might have to try a few different ones before he/she finds one that works well. The range of side effects and the dosage should be explained as well. Finally the doctor should always tell the patient to come back for review in a week or two and get the patient to make an appointment before leaving the surgery. This will ensure follow up.

However, many patients dont come back. They either find the med working OK so they think they dont need to return, to save money. Others try the med, decide its not working and then cant be bothered going back as they have lost faith in antidepressants altogether. Some simply dont have the money for another appointment.  

Anyway, the moral of the story is that if one feels down and cant seem to "snap out of it" for 2 weeks or more, one is likely to suffer from depression and therefore should see a doctor about it, especially if there are other issues such as chronic illnesses or family problems. Once the doctor has made the diagnosis and prescribed antidepressant, it is important for the patient to remember to go back for follow up.

It is also proven that psychotherapy, counselling, relaxatation techniques .... can be very helpful alongside medication.  

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
maryo
New Board Junior
USA 

Johnny & Roy puzzle where to apply the O2 mask

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12th, 2008, 11:17pm »

Hi again thp,

Adding to my earlier post . . . I have to commend you for your priority to enjoy your 17 month old! And to not overburden your wife. I am on the same routine, verapamil (not working yet) and oxygen (works). I am also taking clonopin at bedtime, 12 mg melatonin, and I pop two cafergot after I abort the first headache. This routine usually (but not always) allows me to wake up feeling like I won. The broken sleep, the increased frequency of hits, the length of episode (longest ever, three months) leave me feeling like I'm losing the fight. The enemy has been especially devious this year! Anything that helps me feel good about myself helps my spirits. I have always had an indomitable spirit but this time around, hopelessness has been a real problem. All I can say is it's great to unload to people who understand.

If depression has not been a problem before, I'd say it's sleep deprivation and a short term of clonopin at night may be just the ticket . . .  plus the melatonin, which doesn't need a script.
IP Logged
artonio7
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Home since 11/18/06

artonio9  

« Reply #10 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 2:50am »

Tom

Sorry that you're going through these depressive cycles. Thus far the folks here have given you some good advice. Cognitive therapy in conjunction with the anti-depressants that work for you is a plus plus.

It is imperative that you find a good psychiatrist and explain what you are dealing with situationally as well as how you feel, if he's good he'll determine whether medication is at all necessary (I personally tend to frown on the magic little pill method of treatment). Also try to rule out certain food allergies, processed sugar is notorious for making one feel depressed as well as low grade long term infections. Thyroid conditions also will be an underlying cause for depression. In some cases medications that you may be taking for other conditions will make you depressed.

I feel a psychiatrist should be seen along with a good therapist. IMHO The psychiatrist should also have an open dialogue with the therapist in a best case scenario. This will give you the advantage of two healthcare professionals and yourself monitoring the results of your medication. Over the course of several months the therapist will help you with attitude/behavioral adjustment and you will work as a team for developing a long term treatment strategy that works for you.

Sleep deprivation and chronic pain and life's stresses play a key factor in many depressions. Dealing with the underlying causes are at times the key to eliminating the depression. Behavior modification, exercise, meditation, developing a strong support group, maintaining a healthy diet also play an important role in fortifying yourself against depression. Surprisingly setting priorities and realistic goals also keeps stress levels down which may lead to some depression.  

I've been dealing with depression as long as I can remember as well as episodes of manic highs... I am Bipolar. I am familiar with the wave of depression that you mentioned. I also experience; rapid thoughts, anxiety attacks, euphoric highs, extreme depressions and times of a leveling or how I imagine people feel who aren't Bipolar feel most of the time. I was Diagnosed as Bi-Polar I Depressive.

Prior to diagnosis I never considered taking any sort of medication for my depression - Well, nothing prescribed. I did turn towards self-medication, primarily alcohol. The alcohol only made matters worse as it is a depressant. So I stopped drinking.

Keep an open mind and remember to breathe deeply and slowly it helps some.  

Thank you for having the courage to open this dialogue concerning depression. I hope you find proper methods to alleviate your suffering.

Keep us posted and welcome to the family.

with warm regards,
Tony
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2008, 4:08am by artonio7 » IP Logged

Hope! http://artonio7.com
CH Pain Calendar Free Download
For artwork
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss