Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 27th, 2024, 10:15pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hazel eyes? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hazel eyes?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hazel eyes?  (Read 925 times)
cat1955
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

catrn755  
Email

Hazel eyes?
« on: Jan 8th, 2008, 6:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I found a site that is interesting. Though very informative, it says that Clusterheads have hazel eyes, smoke and drink excessively. laugh

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/c/cluster_headache/riskfactors.htm

I smoke, rarely drink, if at all, and I have gray eyes (maybe a few small specks of brown).  

So if you aren't laughing so hard that you can't type, I am curious how many of us have hazel eyes? Huh
 Carol
IP Logged
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Gone Crazy. Be back soon.

Re: Hazel eyes?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 6:14pm »

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/wwwboard/boardleft.html

click to view the survey results
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2008, 6:15pm by Melissa » IP Logged

DON'T WORRY ABOUT NOTTIN - NOTTIN IS ALRIGHT

My mosaic Crosses on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5494187
cat1955
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

catrn755  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 6:24pm »

Thanks for the info.  I haven't delved that far back...reading is a big trigger for me.
 Carol
IP Logged
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 7:42pm »

My husband fits that description though, he has hazel yes and does smoke excessively and used to drink excessively too.
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Maffumatt

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 8:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I fit it too, except I don't drink, for some reason when I drink I want to rip the top of my skull off and dance on my frontal lobe.
IP Logged
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 8:47pm »

blue/green eyes... never smoked... drink once in a while...
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 9th, 2008, 10:33am »

Brown eyed, never smoked, love dark beers and good bourbon!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
chewy

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 9th, 2008, 12:51pm »

Hazel eyes.........Cluster
Blue eyes............Sinus
Brown eyes.........CPH
Black eyes............annoying son of a bitch
IP Logged
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Jan 9th, 2008, 1:10pm »

on Jan 9th, 2008, 12:51pm, chewy wrote:
Hazel eyes.........Cluster
Blue eyes............Sinus
Brown eyes.........CPH
Black eyes............annoying son of a bitch

Ha! When I look at pictures of myself, I have red eyes.  
red eyes.........hangover? (For me, usually a cheap camera)  

Genes like eye color, blood type, and straight or curly hair are very very weakly (or not at all) linked with CH.  Skin color might be linked to things because it affects vitamin D levels, which affects migraine (and maybe other related headaches).  Genes for dealing with calcium are probably important, but I don't think that has a predictable effect on how people look.  

IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 9th, 2008, 5:14pm »

Per the cluster survey that Mel linked above, there is a much higher percentage of blue or hazel eyed clusterheads than there are blue or hazel in the general population.  So your link is somewhat correct in that aspect.

I think that clusterheads drink and smoke more than the general population also.  However, I don't think the drinking or smoking causes cluster headaches.  Quite the opposite.  I think the brain/neurological deformity that causes cluster headaches also gives us addictive personalities/tendencies which leads to the heavier drinking and smoking.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
debbie
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Jan 9th, 2008, 6:41pm »

blue eyes, don't drink, don't smoke--lets see I have a kid who has hazel eyes, he smokes, if he drinks he wouldn't tell me and he has caused me a headache or two does that count?
IP Logged
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 9th, 2008, 7:10pm »

on Jan 9th, 2008, 5:14pm, Bob P wrote:
 I think the brain/neurological deformity that causes cluster headaches also gives us addictive personalities/tendencies which leads to the heavier drinking and smoking.

I agree with Bob on this and seems to ring true in my case. Put the drink down seven years ago but hit it pretty hard before then.  

edited to add "ago"
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2008, 7:40pm by Chillrmn1 » IP Logged
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Jan 9th, 2008, 9:11pm »

I do have hazel eyes.
I started getting these at 14--never had touched a cigarette or alcohol at that age.
Smoked later on and then quit and then started after 5 yrs. of not touching a cigarette--got CH anyway during smokefree years--a neuro told me that it doesn't matter if you smoke or not you will still get them.  I don't drink.
IP Logged
Samiam
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ban910
Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 7:24am »

I have brown eyes, female, don't drink and never smoked.  Years ago I was told this by a neuro while trying to get diagnosed and the doctor's actually used this to rule out cluster for me.  It took me a couple more years to find a neuro that had the sense to disregard that stupid finding. I have had cluster now for over 26 yrs and since February I have been back in remission.

Sami
IP Logged

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 7:43am »

Blue eyes
Drink ! Yes please.
Smoke Yes

Vitamion D? I spend 75 % of my working & home life working out in the open in one of the highest UV radiant areas in the world, If I'm missing out on my share of VD I should perhaps give up sleeping.

Bottoms up
Barry

VD as in Vitamin "D" Grin
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2008, 7:46am by Barry_T_Coles » IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
rocketman3104
New Board Newbie
USA 

Fightin'em off, one at a time

« Reply #15 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 9:37am »

Quit smoking a year ago (yea, me)  
Drink very rarely (usally to a face-down position).
Blue eyes.
IP Logged

Paul
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #16 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 9:39am »

on Jan 9th, 2008, 5:14pm, Bob P wrote:
Per the cluster survey that Mel linked above, there is a much higher percentage of blue or hazel eyed clusterheads than there are blue or hazel in the general population.  So your link is somewhat correct in that aspect.

There are more blue and hazel eyes in the northern European population than in the general population. To say that clusterheads have hazel eyes is like saying clusterheads are northern European.  

The article linked to also says that nicotine triggers cluster headaches. It does not. Smoking may be a risk factor, but nicotine is not recognized as a trigger.  

There is no evidence that eye color has much value for predicting or diagnosing cluster headache. And there is no evidence that eye color  itself raises the risk. It is much more likely that eye color happens to occur with all the other genes that are more common in the northern European population.    

Sometimes online surveys capture important information. But there is also a risk that this type of survey is skewed in various ways.... for example blacks and hispanics may be less likely to be diagnosed with clusters (different relationship with healthcare system) and they may be less likely to be online.  Which could dilute the number of non-blue, non-hazel eyes counted.
IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #17 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 10:23am »

Blue eyes, never smoked, hardly ever had a drink before ch - now practically absolutist.

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 10:50am »

on Jan 10th, 2008, 10:23am, sandie99 wrote:
Blue eyes, never smoked, hardly ever had a drink before ch - now practically absolutist.

Sanna

Is that some one who drinks Absolute Vodka??  
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2008, 11:03am by monty » IP Logged

monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #19 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 11:00am »

Just kidding, Sanna! You are almost tee-totaler and don't drink much at all?

on Jan 10th, 2008, 7:43am, Barry_T_Coles wrote:
Blue eyes
Drink ! Yes please.
Smoke Yes

Vitamion D? I spend 75 % of my working & home life working out in the open in one of the highest UV radiant areas in the world, If I'm missing out on my share of VD I should perhaps give up sleeping.

Bottoms up
Barry

VD as in Vitamin "D" Grin

It may not be just a shortage of vitamin D, although some studies have shown that vitamin D helps with migraines.  But it seems to be something (unfortunately) more complex.  

People with fair skin and blue eyes evolved away from the equator. Their pale skin lets them soak up more UV and convert it to vitamin D when the sun shines. But they also have a variety of changes in other genes related to vitamin D, and for the various clock genes related to light.
IP Logged

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 11th, 2008, 6:03am »

Quote:

followed by

Quote:
There are more blue and hazel eyes in the northern European population than in the general population. To say that clusterheads have hazel eyes is like saying clusterheads are northern European.  

Don't quite understand how my statement that there is a higher percentage is quoted to demonstrate an absolute like "clusterheads have hazel eyes.

There was a guy some years back who was conducting a survey of clusterheads on this site on the posibility that the farther from the equator, the higher the incidence of CH.  Maybe most clusterheads are from northern european decent.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2008, 6:07am by Bob P » IP Logged

"SHUT UP HUB!"
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #21 on: Jan 11th, 2008, 10:22am »

on Jan 11th, 2008, 6:03am, Bob P wrote:

Don't quite understand how my statement that there is a higher percentage is quoted to demonstrate an absolute like "clusterheads have hazel eyes.

Your right, you didn't support an absolute. And I am even less absolute about the situation.  
IP Logged

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 11th, 2008, 10:59am »

I do understand what you were trying to demonstrate.  There are no absolutes with CH except they hurt like a mo fo!

Drinking, smoking, eye color, lion like features, tall males, etc. etc.   There may be some genetic links in some of these but none dictate the presence of CH nor does CH dictate the presence of any of these traits.

For a doctor to rule out clusters because someone doesn't have hazel eyes is ludicrous.
IP Logged

"SHUT UP HUB!"
chewy

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 11th, 2008, 11:13am »

Quote:
lion like features

I do have a tendancy to chase down Gazelles.
IP Logged
Poli
New Board Newbie
Spain 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #24 on: Jan 11th, 2008, 1:46pm »

So, I'm Spanish (hispanic...), live in very Southern Europe, brown eyes, black hair,  Eagle face.... then, why do I have clusters????  
Saludos
Poli
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss