Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 11:36am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Newbie To Clusterville »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Newbie To Clusterville
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Newbie To Clusterville  (Read 302 times)
talbers
New Board Newbie
USA 

Doh!!!

Email

Newbie To Clusterville
« on: Apr 25th, 2006, 9:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

At last, a home.  My name is Trent Albers.  Currently 33, and have been dealing with headaches of some sort since I was about 15 or so.  Started out with the more traditional migraine.  Once a month, with more visual and nausea.  Somewhere along the line though, I transitioned to episodic CH.  I can honestly say I long for the good old migraine days.

In any case, as I've read through the information, and posts, I'm happy to say I finally feel as though I'm really not crazy.  For years, my wife and I have wondered why some medications seem to work for brief periods, than not at all, while others don't work at all.  Hit or miss.  Seems to be that way for everyone.  Discouraging from a sense that there doesn't seem to be a magic bullet, but encouraging that there seems to be a wonderful group here.  

As far as what I've tried, and what I currently use, I've tried Verapamil, Topomax, Depakote, some anit-depressants, Melatonin, caffeine, water, Imitrex, diet, stress relievers, hot/cold, and stretching.  Probably some other things in there too.  About all that really seems to work is Imitrex.  And it seems to me that all Imitrex really allows me to do is to "herd" my headaches towards a time that is most "convenient" for me to suffer.  Perhaps this has been others experience too?  I've also noticed that the more I "herd", the more I suffer in the end.  Don't know if that's common or not.  As a side note, that was an excellent Imitrex tip.  For some reason or another, it completely escaped me to use only a portion at a time.  Like all of you, I'm sure, my health insurance will only provide me with 8 cartridges a month, meaning I'm out of luck for better than two thirds of the month.  At least being episodic allows me to stock pile the shots during the off months.  God help me if I ever convert to chronic.

In any case, I sincerely look forward to making some new friends here.  As I look through the posts, etc., I'm reminded of the theme song to Cheers.  Perhaps a CH'er wrote them.  I've pasted them in below for anyone who doesn't already know them.  Very fitting indeed.

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.  Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.  

Wouldn't you like to get away?  

Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came.  You wanna be where you can see, our troubles are all the same.  You wanna be where everybody knows your name.  

You wanna go where people know, people are all the same.  You wanna go where everybody knows your name.
IP Logged
Cathi04
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Newbie To Clusterville
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 9:49am »

me&mbSinging with you, Trent!  (or is it Normie??)
Welcome to Clusterville, sorry you need to be here, glad you found the place!

Cheers!
Cathi(or am I Dianne?)
IP Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #2 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 9:49am »

Welcome, Trent, and thank you for posting the Cheers lyrics. Grin...how appropriate.  I also like your "herding" metaphor.  That pretty well describes how trex can move my headaches around.  You have obviously done your reading, and if you scour the meds boards, you will find many, many ideas to try.
Many of us here have good luck using oxygen to abort.  I highly recommend that you check out the oxygen info link on the left, and the oxygen tips and clustermasx threads in the meds sections.  For me, oxygen has been almost as effective as Imitrex--just as fast, and much cheaper.  Glad you found this site, and don't hesitate to ask questions along the way.
Patti
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
talbers
New Board Newbie
USA 

Doh!!!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 10:24am »

Thanks Cathi and Patti.  I'm getting ready to start up acupuncture and oxygen.  I'm game for just about anything that has a shot at helping.
IP Logged
Cathi04
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 10:33am »

Trent, PLEASE read the 02 info to the left here! Well, read it all, but especially that!
Cathi
IP Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 10:51am »

Welome Trent!  

I am very sorry that we had to meet under these circumstances, but glad we were here for you,  It sounds like you have a lot of expereince with this and are experimenting with all of the appropriate treatments. I will put in another plug for Oxygen as it has been a life saver for me and many others here aborting about 50-70% of my hits and most shadow attacks.  If you haven't tried it, you must give it a shot, and by all means go with a high flow rate (15 LPM+) and a non-rebreather mask (clustermask).  Those two tips make a world of difference.
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
talbers
New Board Newbie
USA 

Doh!!!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 3:21pm »

Thanks Rich.  Seeing my neurologist tomorrow, so now I've got some good ammo.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 4:23pm »

Hey Trent.....lots of good folks and info here, stick around.

.................Jonny (93-3 Braintree split Grin )
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 5:50pm »

Welcome aboard Trent. So sorry we have to meet you because of this shared horror but stick around.  

Good stuff here. One of the first things I noticed at my first CH convention was oxygen tanks. It works!

Keep the beast on the run.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 6:43pm »

Trent Albers. Good to meet you.  Good luck with the neurologist.

Charlotte
IP Logged
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 7:34pm »

Welcome Trent
Your in good company here.
Kind Regards
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 26th, 2006, 2:17am »

Welcome Trent

Please make sure your doc specifys 15 lpm regulator and non-rebreather mask (the one with the bag).  All too frequently, folks come away with an 8 lpm regulator with a nasal canulae (nose-thingy) . . . . . not totally useless, but not near as effective as the above.

Be Safe,  PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 26th, 2006, 6:27pm »

Clusterville

Home for all us Drain Bramaged Hypothalathing'd folks.

Can't wait to get to know ya better.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
talbers
New Board Newbie
USA 

Doh!!!

Email

« Reply #13 on: Apr 27th, 2006, 11:12am »

Thanks to all.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss