Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 27th, 2024, 6:32pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Fresh Research - History of CH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Fresh Research - History of CH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fresh Research - History of CH  (Read 856 times)
floridian

Email

Fresh Research - History of CH
« on: Mar 7th, 2005, 8:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Interesting article on the history of clusters - the earliest description goes back to 1641.  

Quote:
Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2005 Apr;9(2):132-4.  

History of cluster headache.

Gordon N.  Brown University, 450 Veterans Memorial Parkway, East Providence, RI 02914, USA. NGordon@Lifespan.org.

Possibly because of the manifestation of severe debilitating pain, cluster headache has been identified in early publications, described in exquisite detail by authors dating as far back as 1641. These early descriptions focused on the symptoms of the episodes rather than the periodicity of their occurrence. Similar to most medical conditions described without anatomic or clearly defined pathophysiologic basis, cluster headache often was named for its clinical manifestations, or less helpfully, by the names of the authors of its descriptive publications. It was only in 1952 that the condition was named for its peculiar tendency to occur in clusters over a period of weeks rather than being a chronic, recurrent, episodic condition similar to migraine. Despite having such an interesting mix of autonomic and physical features, this observation seems to be most instrumental in divulging the true pathogenesis of this disease and correctly localizing its origin anatomically in the hypothalamus.
IP Logged
Langa
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

So many donuts, such little time...

Re: Fresh Research - History of CH
« Reply #1 on: Mar 7th, 2005, 9:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks Flo...

You have to wonder how they got through in those times??  Huh

Langa
IP Logged

When you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 7th, 2005, 10:58pm »

on Mar 7th, 2005, 9:32pm, Langa wrote:
You have to wonder how they got through in those times??  Huh

I feel old now laugh Was it that long ago? laugh
IP Logged
Tom
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 8th, 2005, 5:41pm »

The first known description of CH dates back to the 17th century, indeed:  

The that time author was Dr. Nicholaas (or Nicholaes) Tulp (1593-1674), a Dutch physician, surgeon, and burgomaster of Amsterdam. He was eternalized by Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn in the painting "The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicholaes Tulp" in 1632 - Dr. Tulp is the central figure and anatomy lecturer with the black hat, look at:  

http://www.ibiblio.org/louvre/paint/auth/rembrandt/1630/nicolaes-tulp.jp g
http://art.mygalerie.com/les%20maitres/rembr8.html
http://vidal-p.club.fr/baroque/hollande/rembrandt/lecon.htm

The painting can be seen in the Mauritshuis in Den Haag.

The second known description was written by another Dutch physician, Dr. Gerard van Swieten in 1745 - several recent neurologists stress that van Swieten's that time's description still matches the today's criteria of the IHS for CH! Prof. P. Goadsby writes: "Cluster headache has been recognized for over 350 years, and there is an excellent clinical description in Van Swieten's textbook ...". Here an excerpt from van Swieten's text:

«...In the beginning of the summer season, [he] was afflicted with a very severe headache, occuring and disappearing daily on fixed hours, with such an intensity that he often assured me that he could not bear the pain anymore or he would succumbe shortly. for rarely it lasted longer than two hours. And the rest of the day there were no fever, nor indisposition of the urine, nor any infirmity of the pulse. But this recurring pain lasted until the fourteenth day...he asked nature for help, ...and lost a great amount of fluid from the nose...[and]  was relieved in a short period of time...» (Nicholaas Tulp, 1641).

(for more:   http://www.sma.org/smj1998/julysmj98/july_cme.pdf)

Thomas
IP Logged

Thomas/Munich
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 8th, 2005, 8:14pm »

And it still comes down to that damned hypothalamus!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #5 on: Mar 9th, 2005, 3:47pm »

I'm sure there have been more than a couple exorcisms performed to "rid ye of the beast" over history.

Can you hear it:
"Come out! Come out ye beast that inhabits thy brother's eyeball"

Or maybe a few public stonings for demon-possession. And the CH sufferer standing there screaming. "No, throw a little higher, right here in the right eye. Harder!"

Or in Dickensian times:
"That boy's just not quite right is he? I'm sure there's a good bed for im' up at Bedlam there is."

What fun history can be?
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 9th, 2005, 3:56pm »

*memories of woodcuts showing doctors of old, drilling holes in patients' skulls for headache relief...*  Shocked

(Hey, would a 3/8's bit work?)  laugh
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #7 on: Mar 9th, 2005, 4:01pm »

"drilling holes in peoples heads"

Aren't there people on these boards who have had that done?
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Mar 9th, 2005, 4:30pm »

Yikes, that goes back over 300 years. We've come a long way.

I remember 30 years ago, all those trips to the ER for a shot of Demerol in the butt.  Then they switched to shots of Stadol, then prescriptions for Stadol nasal spray.  So many trips to zombie-land and kablooey-ville.

Remember the original Imitrex injectors?  Much bigger than today's pens, designed for shots in the thigh, with the red trigger button on the side. The syringes even had plungers so you didn't have to use a Q-tip for partial doses. I guess they changed the design so the syringes wouldn't be reusable.

I predict that within 20 years there will be prescription "alternative therapy" capsules that will make the horrors of the beast a thing of the past.

Bob
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2005, 4:49pm by BikerBob » IP Logged
zrmulcahy
New Board Newbie
USA 

yes

easyz983

« Reply #9 on: Mar 9th, 2005, 11:34pm »

I bet you're onto something with the demon possession boomer.  Here are some Biblical accounts...

1They went across the lake to the region of the Gerasenes.[a] 2When Jesus got out of the boat, a man with an evil[b] spirit came from the tombs to meet him. 3This man lived in the tombs, and no one could bind him any more, not even with a chain. 4For he had often been chained hand and foot, but he tore the chains apart and broke the irons on his feet. No one was strong enough to subdue him. 5Night and day among the tombs and in the hills he would cry out and cut himself with stones.

37The next day, when they came down from the mountain, a large crowd met him. 38A man in the crowd called out, “Teacher, I beg you to look at my son, for he is my only child. 39A spirit seizes him and he suddenly screams; it throws him into convulsions so that he foams at the mouth. It scarcely ever leaves him and is destroying him. 40I begged your disciples to drive it out, but they could not.”

The stuff we do is not that different...I bet we'd all get the demon label right away!  Heck, maybe we are all demon possessed.
IP Logged
Missy_Donna
New Board Junior
USA 

See correct e-mail address under post.

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 8:52am »

The hole drilling that happened is too scarey to think about., but I really wonder if I would have tried it when having a K10.

Mine started around 1960 and of course no one knew what the heck they were, so, I too, made a couple of trips to the ER just to be knocked out for a little while.

Thank God that I only had a few 10's.  I usually shot up from 0 to 8 or 9 in about 5 minutes, but the 10's were what we know as suicide headaches.  More often than not, by the time I got to see the doc, the headache had disappeared.

The only medication given for these headaches (Hortons' Cephalgia, or histamine headaches) was Tylenol3 (with codeine) which didn't do a thing but give me a stomach ache.

Thank God, those days are over for me and I pray the same for all of you.
IP Logged

E-mail addy is dmh114@lycos.com

Charter Member..joined over 6 years ago.

Sufferer for 28 years.....now a supporter to my 33 year old son.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 12:40pm »

on Mar 7th, 2005, 9:32pm, Langa wrote:

You have to wonder how they got through in those times?

I was wondering the same thing... Sad
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 7:48am »

Quote:
Remember the original Imitrex injectors?  Much bigger than today's pens, designed for shots in the thigh, with the red trigger button on the side.

You mean this bad boy?

Still have it obviously.....isn't that a real kicker....

to add: about the reuse of the syringes...I used to keep a couple of them in the tackle box to fill night crawlers with air when fishing for catfish.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2005, 8:55am by Redd » IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
PCMCCK

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 8:43am »

How did people cope years ago?  Remember, up until about 1911, heroin was legal (developed, I believed, to help Civil War veterans get off of the morphine that they had become addicted to as a result of the treatment for their wounds) and could be ordered from the Sears & Roebuck catalogue; cocaine was legal and was the "miracle" ingredient in "Coca Cola" and most so called "patent medicines", i.e., laudenum, were nothing more than opium dissolved in alcohol with some herbs or flavorings.  The situation was the same in Europe as in the US-everyone was high!  I forget the name of the law that the federal government passed in 1911 that made all of these drugs illegal (unless you had a special tax stamp, obtainable from the feds; as a kid I remember my old family doc had one of these).  Just as prohibition gave organized crime its boost, the criminalization, overnight, of all of the drugs made for a whole new class of criminals-no attempts were made to treat those who were addicted (and many led productive lives because they could get their drugs cheaply at the neighborhood pharmacy or from Sears), drug related crime shot up, selling illegal drugs became-and remains-very profitable and the number of drug addicts increased, but they couldn't lead productive lives because they had to do illegal things to finance their now expensive illegal habits.  Of course, for the most part, we still want to lock up drug users and throw away the key-remember the wonderful Rockefeller laws in NY State-and rehab started getting some funding when serious drug use, i.e., heroin, cocaine, etc., entered the middle class white communities, but it is still a pittance.  Whoops, sorry, got carried away, was just going to comment on how people coped years ago with CH pain-did that at the beginning of this post,
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss