Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 4:15am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Rebounds? input needed please --> »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Rebounds? input needed please -->
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rebounds? input needed please -->  (Read 301 times)
Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

a.k.a. Max Payne, YOUCH this hurts...

Rebounds? input needed please -->
« on: Feb 25th, 2005, 11:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all!

Have been doing a lot of cathing up with reading the board lately. From what I read in several (seperate) threads I am now confused about the rebounds. I looked for a recent topic on these, but couldn't find one.

I used to get a lot of 'rebounds' last year. Always thought of it as an extended version of the last h.a. Usually I have blasts of 1-1,5 hour,which could run up to 3 or even 5 hours with what I thought were rebounds. Just when I would think the pain was on its way down, that the end was in sight BOOM suddenly it would take off again. No telling how I looked and felt after those dances...

Now when I take off the oxygenmask too soon, within minutes the pain continues where it was before putting the mask on.  

So now I am not sure:

- What/ when exactly is considered a rebound?
- Is this a whole new blast, or is it an extension of the one you were having? (important for the h.a. diary)

Any input would be greatly aprreciated!

Pfd 2 all.
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2005, 12:40am by Cooked Brain » IP Logged

"We can NOT solve our problems with the same kind of thinking that got us IN to the problem in the first place" Albert Einstein
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

Re: Rebounds?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 11:49pm »

Do you have shadows in between.  I get them also.  I think well maybe the meds are helping and then get hit again.  But in between I have sharp stabs here and there.  That is a good question. Huh
IP Logged

aka...................................................... KimY
Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

« Reply #2 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 12:24am »

Usually I do have shadows yes, but not in between a VERY long blast. Seems to be one big h.a. with the pain becoming less for a few minutes before exploding again and taking me through the same kind of dance all over again...
IP Logged

"We can NOT solve our problems with the same kind of thinking that got us IN to the problem in the first place" Albert Einstein
rcw134
New Board Newbie
USA 

And this too shall pass - if only for a while

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 12:29am »

Hi - I'm new to the community and feel so blessed to have found people who know the hell of CL and migraines.

I've always been  told that percodan and others cause rebound HA, my GUESS is that it has something to do with the body becoming relaxed, causing the blood vessels to expand, which causes more blood flow to the brain and then the blood vessels swell around the nerve endings causing the blinding pain.  I look forward as do you for some posts on this subject.

Take care  

Ray
IP Logged
Mach
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Rebounds? input needed please -->
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 5:57am »

As it was explained to me by a Neuroligist
The body has Endorphins which are the bodies natural way to fight pain
When the pain is greater than what the Endorphins can control, we reach for painkillers.
When we take painkillers they reduce (eat away ) the amount of Endorphins that we have
When the pills wear off or when we need painkillers the next time we have less Endorphins to fight this pain
So we take painkillers sooner than perhaps we would have if we would have our regular amount of Endorphins.
So we are taking painkillers quicker than usual .
The headache has returned and seems stronger than before
From what I understood , if we get off the painkillers for a period of time the Endorphins will replenish themselves
The other name for Rebound Headaches would be Analgesic Headaches
Hopefully this information is correct and also gives you a better understanding of rebound headaches
Later
Mach
IP Logged
jasckorohod

Email

baRe: Rebounds? input needed please -->
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 6:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

MACH has given a good explanation of rebounds.  Essentially, use or overuse of a pain killer, usually narcotic, for a headache will result in a kind of overkill of the pain and when the narcotic wears off, the pain rushes back (like it was stored in a dam and then the dam burst).  When I first had CCH, rebound headaches were suspected, so I was taken off all pain medications (in hospital) for one week.  That was enough time to have all of them leave my system (usually they stay max. 72 hurs) and my headache remained and got worse (by headache I mean pain in and around my left eye); thus were the doctors convinced that I was not suffering from rebound headaches, for if that were the case I should have been pain free at the end of the week.  You might want to check with your physician about this.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 8:08am »

A bit dated but still a good article. Your local library can get a copy for you.
---
Rebound headaches. "Rebound Headaches--A Review", Au. John S. Warner, M.D., in HEADACHE QUARTERLY, 10:3(1999). (There is some confusion on the board about the meaning of "rebound". There appears to be an emerging consensus in the medical literature to define "rebound" as a headache which is caused by the overuse of any medication used to abort a headache or relieve pain. "Recurrence" [of a headache] is being used to refer to the redevelopment of an attack when its "normal" duration is longer than the useful life of the medication which has been taken. That is, the medication effectiveness is reducing before the headache has come to an end; the pain redevelops.)
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

« Reply #7 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 8:18am »

Thanks guys, it had become a little clearer, but what I still don't understand is:

I was having a lot of rebounds/ recurrences when I was NOY on any medication  Huh
IP Logged

Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 8:19am »

Thanks guys, it had become a little clearer, but what I still don't understand is:

I was having a lot of rebounds/ recurrences when I was NOT on any medication  Huh

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2005, 8:19am by Cooked Brain » IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 10:12am »

Sometimes Excedrin (if I get to it soon enough) and black coffee will abort a bad attack, but I've learned to take it sparingly because too much will cause rebounds.  

Seems we take something that works and when they hit again, we take more to stop it next time. The explanations you've gotten here are accurate. The more we take the more we get hit.  

Then we don't know if we're getting hit or if we're having rebounds. It's a vicious circle. And when you're hurting, you don't really worry about the next one.

Just be careful what you take. Maybe your doc can put you on some preventatives instead of aborting meds.  

O2 is still (for most of us) our lifeline to sanity.  

Good luck...  Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

« Reply #10 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 12:06pm »

on Feb 26th, 2005, 10:12am, BarbaraD wrote:
It's a vicious circle. And when you're hurting, you don't really worry about the next one.

frankly, I do sometimes...  Cry
IP Logged

Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 4:47pm »

By definition, a rebound is a headache caused by the overuse of a med. If you are having attacks and not on a med, then it's not a rebound.

In the article I cited, rebound headaches are not different in quality from a "normal" headache. The Dx for rebound is to stop using the suspect med and, if the frequency of attacks is reduced, then some of them were likely "rebounds".
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

« Reply #12 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 6:25pm »

Tnx people!  thumbsup
IP Logged

TonyG1

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 8:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Feb 25th, 2005, 11:49pm, Lost_in_cluster wrote:
Do you have shadows in between.  I get them also.  I think well maybe the meds are helping and then get hit again.  But in between I have sharp stabs here and there.  That is a good question. Huh

Ditto.  I went PF for 12 days... thought maybe the verap was doing its thing.... yesterday got maybe a kip 4-5 in the a.m.;  however, it was strange in that it was mostly at the base of my skull vs. ripping the whole left side of my head off....  Took the trex and it went away; however, I've had sharp stabs after the main HA went away both yesterday and today ...  be sitting at my desk PF one moment and the next a stab through my left temple  eek5  then it is gone just as quickly... weird stuff...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss