Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 25th, 2024, 9:45pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « WILL THESE GET WORSE? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   WILL THESE GET WORSE?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: WILL THESE GET WORSE?  (Read 441 times)
LIVING4JESUS
New Board Newbie
USA 

QUARTERAC2004  

WILL THESE GET WORSE?
« on: Sep 16th, 2004, 2:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

[color=Blue][/color] Huh Huh
    Hey, I have just been diagnosed with cluster headaches 2 weeks ago.  I may have been experiencing these mildly for a couple of years, but always disregarded it as a "have to deal with it" sinus problem.  After reviewing the "kip scale", I am only at a 3- life is not altered for me.  After reading different info here, I know that I am very minor to most, but was wandering is this only the beginning or did most of yours start off small and get worse?  My doctor started me off on a small dose of prednisone.  Sorry to be vain, but I hate taking it.  It makes me want to eat like a horse and if I do so I am sure I will look like a horse shortly.  The prednisone did help last cycle- I only took 2 and this week, I took one because the next day the CH was not hard to cope with, so I skipped that day.  Now, today it is coming again.  I am very blessed with not much pain according to most of what I have read with what you all deal with, but will I be posting like that shortly?    "Pray without ceasing"  1 Thes 5:17
IP Logged

1 Sam 12:24 "Only fear the Lord and serve HIM in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things HE hath done for you." Think on the good and you can't help but thank HIM!!!!! Jesus Saves!
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

Re: WILL THESE GET WORSE?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16th, 2004, 2:44pm »

for many, it is progressive, I started out small and after a couple of years, it was...not small.

read up, study, BEWARE of prednisone.  It DOES help many but at great expense to other parts of you.

welcome....

IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
JJA
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16th, 2004, 3:14pm »

My CH started slow and got worse, but more in a frequency way than a pain level way.  At first I only got headaches on Saturday morning when I tried to sleep in.  They became more and more frequent over the first few years, but they were always above a kip 3.

It is not written in stone that you will get worse. Try not to worry about it.  I lost a good month of my life obsessing over that.  Hopefully you will never see a kip 4.    

I'm not sure if I understood your post correctly, but if you are skipping doses of prednisone you might want to check with your doctor.  Pred is a taper off type of drug where stopping suddenly and skipping doses is not advised.  Sorry to be "preachy".

-Jesse
IP Logged

Is it illegal because it's dangerous or is it dangerous because it's illegal? Our drug laws are ruining lives.
floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 16th, 2004, 3:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

No way of telling what the cluster future holds for an individual.  My patterns have been pretty steady, and I sometime skip a year.  

They are right about the prednisone - effective, but side effects, and dangerous if you don't follow a prescribed taper.  

If most of your headaches start at night, consider melatonin.
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 16th, 2004, 4:42pm »

What are your symptoms?
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 16th, 2004, 4:50pm »

Floridian is on target: these are safe meds if you use them correctly. Every med can cause problems when abused and misused.

Honestly, your question is a waste of energy. Predicting the future is impossible: apply the same question to your religious faith and what do you get?

Put your energy and time into learning about cluster, exploring the info here and on OUCH re. treatments and you will see some progress. Promise!
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 16th, 2004, 5:00pm »

Please don't interpret my comment to be rude - certainly not my intention, ok?

Sorry but - if these headaches are not altering your life - I'd go out on a limb and say you may have been misdiagnosed.  

Pred certainly isn't usually the first drug to be tried, either - I would think an abortive such as imitrex or oxygen would be a better first line of defense.  Sounds like your doc may not be up to speed on clusters?  

And I echo the warning - do NOT skip Pred doses if you  have to be on it at all.  It's not a med to mess with - trust me, it will mess with YOU if you do.  Please be careful.  

Take the cluster quiz and, I agree with Don - what ARE your symptoms?
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #7 on: Sep 16th, 2004, 7:48pm »

Sorry but - if these headaches are not altering your life - I'd go out on a limb and say you may have been misdiagnosed.  - Margi    
I would have to disagree Margi - my first clusters were episodic and kip 7 or 8, I've been chronic for about 4 years now and I can say that most are kip 3-5. I am pretty much able to function normally - except for what I call the Neurontin "glaze"  mellow. I still have to use Imitrex now and then, for the "big" ones but all in all this level of pain is something you kinda learn to live with. Undecided
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
don

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 16th, 2004, 9:01pm »

Thats not the point nani.

If Living has been misdiagnosed, and it sure sounds it to me, then he or she is seeking help in the wrong place and could easily be given bad advice with good intentions.

Still waiting on the symptoms though.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #9 on: Sep 16th, 2004, 9:42pm »

OK  Smiley Good point Don.  Bad advice doesn't help anything.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 16th, 2004, 10:14pm »

If you really do have CH, get ready for a nasty ride.  You will lose your 'prednisone vanity' in short order.  CH has a way of humbling me in a hurry.  Typical Clusterhead:  Crying on the floor, banging head, begging for anything to get rid of the pain.... and I mean anything.

I hope you don't have this.

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
LIVING4JESUS
New Board Newbie
USA 

QUARTERAC2004  

« Reply #11 on: Sep 18th, 2004, 12:26am »

thanks for response, yes I am aware that pred is not always the best regarding side affects... did studies on it.  But I've only 4 1/2 pills left with no refills... so we'll see what's next.
IP Logged

1 Sam 12:24 "Only fear the Lord and serve HIM in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things HE hath done for you." Think on the good and you can't help but thank HIM!!!!! Jesus Saves!
LIVING4JESUS
New Board Newbie
USA 

QUARTERAC2004  

« Reply #12 on: Sep 18th, 2004, 12:28am »

on Sep 16th, 2004, 10:14pm, eyes_afire wrote:
If you really do have CH, get ready for a nasty ride.  You will lose your 'prednisone vanity' in short order.  CH has a way of humbling me in a hurry.  Typical Clusterhead:  Crying on the floor, banging head, begging for anything to get rid of the pain.... and I mean anything.

I hope you don't have this.

--- Steve

Hey Steve, I agree with you.  Vanity will not be an option if pain increases.
IP Logged

Jonny

Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 18th, 2004, 12:52am »

symptoms?

..............................jonny
IP Logged
LIVING4JESUS
New Board Newbie
USA 

QUARTERAC2004  

« Reply #14 on: Sep 18th, 2004, 11:57am »

on Sep 18th, 2004, 12:52am, Jonny wrote:
symptoms?

..............................jonny

Sorry, I had emailed symptoms to other CHer.... first epi- sharp pains that makes you  wanna hold your head or press the area,  above left eye on forehead that lasted approximately 15 seconds or so, then would go away.  happened about every 2 hours or so. lasted about a week, then stopped.  I wrote it off as sinus problem due to the  extreme fluid build up in my left ear (by the way, this fluid is like  swimmer's ear, but is not seen my doctor-but I know it's there~~ just tilting my head can make my ear fill up)  My family was concerned about if truly sinus or not, so I went to MD, hoping maybe it wouldn't happen again.  Then couple days later after MD visit (about 6 days), it started again. So I took pred for 2 days.  pain ceased to a tolerable level, so I didn't take pred anymore.  til few days later, had started again.
IP Logged

Jonny

Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 18th, 2004, 12:15pm »

If you are saying that the pain only lasts 15 seconds you should be looking into CPH, It in no way sounds like CH to me....but im no doctor

..................................jonny
IP Logged
kissmyglass
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Don't Mix Triptans

Email

« Reply #16 on: Sep 18th, 2004, 12:17pm »

Sounds like CPH to me....hope so, it's easily treated with Indocin which is cheap and near 100% effective.

Good Luck

Kev
IP Logged

"It does so fucking look like her" - Picasso
[img][/img]
LIVING4JESUS
New Board Newbie
USA 

QUARTERAC2004  

« Reply #17 on: Sep 18th, 2004, 4:21pm »

on Sep 18th, 2004, 12:17pm, kissmyglass wrote:
Sounds like CPH to me....hope so, it's easily treated with Indocin which is cheap and near 100% effective.

Good Luck

Kev

Thanks, but help me out here... ?CPH?  stands for????
IP Logged

vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Sep 18th, 2004, 4:24pm »

Chronic Paroxysmal Hemicrania Headache.
Cluster headaches are closer to an hour.
The 15 seconds symptom was a dead give away.
http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/byname/chronic-paroxysmal-hemicrania.htm

indomethacin is the drug of choice and a good indicator for diagnosis.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2004, 4:26pm by vig » IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
LIVING4JESUS
New Board Newbie
USA 

QUARTERAC2004  

« Reply #19 on: Sep 19th, 2004, 12:06am »

Thanks, Vig,  
    Interesting information on site regarding CPH.  Just today, one of the symptoms I had not mentioned was a muscle jumping, just in past few days, not all the time but some, around my left eye.  Same side of pain.  Jesus knows my every need and HE never fails.  HE IS TOO WISE TO MAKE A MISTAKE AND TOO GOOD TO DO ME WRONG!!!  I am glad I got saved and accepted Jesus as my personal Saviour.     HE's all I need.  And He will make a way for me.  I love the Lord!
Thanks again and we'll see what the future holds,  
LIVING4HIM
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss