Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 2:04am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Symptoms, newbie looking for confirmation »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Symptoms, newbie looking for confirmation
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Symptoms, newbie looking for confirmation  (Read 341 times)
Bandit
New Board Newbie
Germany 

Symptoms, newbie looking for confirmation
« on: Sep 7th, 2004, 7:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all,

just looking for confirmation! I was diagnosed as a CH sufferer in June this year and am having trouble believing that all of my symptoms are related to CH.

Yes, I do have the attacks 3-6 times a day since Feb, however my pain does not stop with the headaches. In fact I have pain in the shoulder, chest and left arm (same side as the CH). It seems that the pain in the left signals a possible CH attack, although it does not always.

Does any one else have similiar discomfort associated wih CH cylces? It is still hard for me to believe that all this pain can be cuased by a "headache"!

My doctor as me popping 240mg verapamil and oxygen for the attacks seems to be working as the attacks have subsided in frequency and strength. I even had 3 weeks of PF, before they started again today.

Nice to know I am not alone though, however I am sorry to see so many sufferers!

One last question, does any body have any advice about how to handle employers?

Thanx,
Bandit
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Symptoms, newbie looking for confirmation
« Reply #1 on: Sep 7th, 2004, 9:21am »

Are you using Imitrex? If yes, do the pains come just after taking a shot or pill?

Employers- click this
http://www.clusterheadaches.org/resources/emp.htm
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Bandit
New Board Newbie
Germany 

« Reply #2 on: Sep 7th, 2004, 10:07am »

Thanx Bob!

No, I am not using Imitrex! The pains have accompanied the Headaches from the beginning. In fact I was initially taken to the hospital for a possible Heart Attack, however that was proven to be incorrect. The doctors have speculated that the chest and arm pains is coming from the back, however this has also been proven incorrect after an MRI.
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Sep 7th, 2004, 10:13am »

When you are in the middle of an attack do you cock your head to the side in an unusal way? Or maybe twist into a ball? Or whack yourself with a baseball bat?

Heck, I don't know. Sorry.
IP Logged

Redrum
New Board Junior
USA 

Doh!

« Reply #4 on: Sep 7th, 2004, 10:38am »

This definatly sounds like something for the Docs not a maroon like me but when I'm in full swing just the thought of another one starting gets me way stressed out.  I get nausia, stomach cramps, gas, and pains in wierd places. just a thought but maybe some relaxation exercises etc might help.

if they are clusters at least your Doc is on the right track with the Verapamil and O2.  Many of us have gone years trying to find the right medical help.  maybe look into Imitrex and melatonin as well.

As for your boss,  there was a good letter floating around here somewhere that you can print out and use (anyone have this?) or direct him here.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2004, 10:40am by Redrum » IP Logged

It's hard to be an optimist when the glass is shattered on the floor!
farmboy
New Board Veteran
USA 

In Cycle and in Pain

« Reply #5 on: Sep 7th, 2004, 11:11am »

yes i have had a few attacks that hurt down my left arm just to above the elbow.  Neck and shoulder were feeling tight and had a dull pain in them when i was in a CH. As soon as the Ch went away so did the arm pain. It had only happened a few time and has not happened in a long while. And the pain in the arm only happened when i had a kip 9 or 10 .

IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 7th, 2004, 11:16am »

on Sep 7th, 2004, 7:23am, Bandit wrote:
Hello all,

In fact I have pain in the shoulder, chest and left arm (same side as the CH). It seems that the pain in the left signals a possible CH attack, although it does not always.

Does any one else have similiar discomfort associated wih CH cylces? It is still hard for me to believe that all this pain can be cuased by a "headache"!

My doctor as me popping 240mg verapamil Thanx,
Bandit

To be honest.... I get a wicked pain in the neck then a lump forms....

But the whole CH side you mentioned: chest, arm shoulder.... When I increased the verapamil I started getting numbing sensations from my shoulder and chest and down my arm. Then when it cleared it would become a painful burning.le

When I decreased slightly it went away.

I am the person who seems to get very rare side effects with many a med and although my increase was not alot it seemed to have a weird effect on me.

Who knows maybe it is something with Blood Pressure.
Possible? Maybe.

Best,
Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Bandit
New Board Newbie
Germany 

« Reply #7 on: Sep 7th, 2004, 11:28am »

Thanx all for your replies! The docs thinks this is linked to the CH, however I get the pains without having an attack. Or maybe the attack was just so minor that I did not realize I have had an attack.

The attacks come and go, however the pain in the left side seems to come before and stay long after an attack. In fact the attack will come an go several times before the pain in the left side resides. Seems strange!!!

Well, this just confirms that I need to be more presistant with the docs. BP is normal, however has slightly increased since I started taking the Verapamil. Last check it was 120/80 (btw I am 40 yrs.).

Well again thanx for all the support and replies. I am taking this back to the doc and insist on more tests.  

One other question, the docs diagnosed my CH by administering O2 during an attack. Is that the only test available? Or is there other types of tests to diagnose CH?

Thanx,
Chris
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 7th, 2004, 11:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You should get a heart exam - it may be nothing, but there are many things that could be causing this pain.  

I get non-cardiac chest pain.  It is a mild to moderate twinging pain that lasts for a few seconds in the chest, longer in the shoulder and left arm where it is a dull ache or stiffness.  I haven't noticed a correlation between my chest pain and clusters.  I had a full cardiac work-up about 5 years ago, when I first started noticing the chest pain - no problems on the 24 hour holter monitor, doppler cardiogram, or treadmill stress test.  My chiropractor thinks it is caused by a misaligned collar bone, and good posture does seem to help.  

The autonomic nervous system doesn't function properly in CH, and this can affect the heart. Fish oil may help with this - it can improve the heart rate variability.  Arrythmias are more common in clusterheads than in the general population. There are also antibodies to heart tissue in clusterheads, indicating that an autoimmune process may affect the heart.  All good reasons to get this checked out, although it may turn out to be benign.  

IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Sep 8th, 2004, 4:55am »

Quote:
One other question, the docs diagnosed my CH by administering O2 during an attack. Is that the only test available? Or is there other types of tests to diagnose CH?

If the attack lessened or stopped then I say it was a good sign. But that test could also be used on a migrainer, I think. The doc should also look at other symptoms such as tearing in one eye, nose running on one side, do they wake you from a sound sleep, do they come on suddenly, last 15 minutes to an hour and then just go away.

Yes there is another test. Nitroglycerin. But you might not want to try it. It’ll trigger an immediate attack of the worst kind.
IP Logged

pubgirl

Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 8th, 2004, 5:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Bob is right

High flow oxygen is not a definitive test as it aborts my migraines as well as my clusters (and hangovers Grin)

Wendy
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss