Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 25th, 2024, 8:54pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Smoking. Are we all smokers? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Smoking. Are we all smokers?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Smoking. Are we all smokers?  (Read 1320 times)
Genoman
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Re: Smoking. Are we all smokers?
« Reply #25 on: Sep 9th, 2004, 12:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am 33 yo. I started smoking at 21 then tried weed at 23 (due to an eye injury I suffered from an elastic bungie cord which left me blind in one eye and in pain). I quit weed cause of the stigma it carried with it along with a run in with the law (minor offense). I quit smoking cigs two weeks ago after tooth surgery. They told me I could get dry socket from this. Well when the CHs started I decided to keep up the cessation. I decided to quit for good because if suffering from CH is this bad, WTF will it be like when I get cancer. I know I could get cancer anyway but I am trying anything I can to decrease my chances. Hell, CHs even affected my family (especially my wife, god bless her) I can't stand the thought of putting her through something like cancer for something as unnecessary as me enjoying a vice like smoking. It's just not fair to her.
IP Logged
Darlyc
New Board Newbie
USA 

"Fallen"

darlyc42

« Reply #26 on: Sep 10th, 2004, 6:22pm »

Just tell me how one can quit smoking dealing with the stress from this pain and I'll do it and don't say "Just don't smoke."

I quit smoking for 4 years and yes my headaches went away until last year. They came back but weren't as bad.  Oxygen would abort them in about 10 minutes but I was waking almost every 2 hrs. They lasted 8 weeks.

Now, I have picked up the smoking again. I am getting signs that the headaches are coming. I guess they are going to be real monsters this time.  Sad
IP Logged
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

« Reply #27 on: Sep 10th, 2004, 7:10pm »

I'm a filthy rotten smoker too.  Started when I was 18 and I'm almost 40.  I've had CH for 12 years now so drinking has never been a big part of my life.  Quit weed years ago when I became a father.
IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
Genoman
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #28 on: Sep 11th, 2004, 4:20pm »

Darlyc, I don't think there is any way to quit without coming to terms with it individually. I have now quit been quit for 3 weeks. I rarley even think about it anymore. Now that I have been smokefree a while,  when I smell someone elses cig. it smells bad to me. So whenever it even crosses my mind I try to imagine the same smell.  
Here is a kinda funny. My brother quit smoking but instead of getting the patch ot the chewing gum he taped scoal bandits between his big toes. He said you toes absorb more since they are very tender and alway sweaty and moist when your shoes are on. He also said it makes your shoes smell good. hehe Tongue
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #29 on: Sep 11th, 2004, 6:22pm »

EEEWWWW ....thanks for the visual Genoman... gocrazy
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
StanTheMan
New Board Veteran
USA 

"I can do all things through Christ..."

Email

« Reply #30 on: Sep 11th, 2004, 8:35pm »

The good news -

I don't smoke (I haven't since high school, which was more than 25 years ago).

I don't drink -- used to be a very light drinker, but I quit when I got married, since my wife required a "dry" house.

The bad news -  

I still have CH's.

Regards to all on the board!

StanTheMan
IP Logged

"All the days of the afflicted are bad, but the cheerful heart has a continual feast." - - - - - Proverbs 15:15
longfatyoung
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #31 on: Sep 12th, 2004, 11:08am »

Don't smoke  
Don't drink  
(never did either one)  

Had these since i was a kid.
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

.  Re: Smoking. Are we all smokers?
« Reply #32 on: Sep 12th, 2004, 4:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Let's see...

Started smoking when I was 15 yrs old.
CH's began when I was 16.
I get them for approx. 35-37 days every other year.
Quit smoking in March 2002 for 1yr and 4 months.  
Began smoking again in August 2003 after the birth of my son, due to going into cycle while he was 2 & 1/2 weeks old, and not having any meds.
Quit smoking again March 11 2004, started up again the beginning of July, quit again on my birthday Aug. 17th when I turned 30yrs old.

My clusters came whether or not I smoked.  They even helped me ride out my attacks during my last cycle until I was able to see a neuro and get some meds.

Am now scared shitless because I have been having a lot of chest pains lately, and will be making an appt. to not only get my lungs checked to make sure I am not in the beginning stages of lung cancer, but will also be getting a mammogram done to check for breast cancer.

I don't want to sound like a pita here, but please quit as soon as you can.  Quitting is 10% addiction and 90% psychological.  Don't ever think it's too late to do so...

mel
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #33 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 4:19am »

Hi there! Smiley

I have never smoked in my life, but when I was growing up my dad smoked a lot. So, no, we are not all smokers!

Best wishes & lots of PFdays,
sandie99
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

rubberplant
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

"Why me, why me, why me!?!?"

rubber.plant@mac.com
WWW Email

« Reply #34 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 7:02am »

Thanks for the responses peeps.

Interesting to see that a lot of non-smokers have CH. The neuro made it seem like they were linked.

I guess he was just doing his bit for my health.  

Going to quit anyway.
If anyone has any advice, tell me please!

General Post; Tips for quitting smoking?!? Please!?!

(Don't know how to place a link on this post!)

James
IP Logged

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
http://www.james-gardner.co.uk
brightontrader
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #35 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 10:44am »

I am a smoker, heavy one 40+ day but have been in remission for 5 years for no apparant reason. Had no success in London getting diagnosed but after several sinus ops and wisdom teeth ones finally found Harley Street doc who knew what a CH was.  

He told me that smoking was the most common trait for CHers. Put me on Verapamil and had 3 or 4 seasons of CHs and verapamil worked in alleviating but coffee played a large part, never gave up smoking though.

Am on this board now cos I seem to have early signs of CH starting again after years off BTW.Looking for better ways to deal with it..

IP Logged
Darlyc
New Board Newbie
USA 

"Fallen"

darlyc42

« Reply #36 on: Sep 15th, 2004, 7:41pm »

Rubberplant,

For quitting smoking you might want to check out the website www.quitsmokingonline.com.

It's a very lengthy course but it makes a lot of sense. Deals alot with the psychological addiction.

I am quitting soon too.
IP Logged
EmpressJMB
New Board Veteran
USA 

No Brain, No Headache

« Reply #37 on: Sep 22nd, 2004, 1:48pm »

Here's my 2 cents.  (Just read these)  I do smoke 1/2 to 1 pack a day.  However,  my HA's started BEFORE I started smoking.  Parents were heavy smokers though.  Huh  They're also both dead.  I have tried the American Lung Assoc. program 3x, hypnotism, accupuncture, the patch, the gum and the lozenge.  Still smoking.  I will continue to try though.
IP Logged

...sometimes at night I think I understand. Brother to brother, man to man, face to face, hand to hand, the shadow dance that never ends. Shadow boxing the silent war within...yet again. Weir/Barlow
bobbio56
New Board Newbie
USA 

Joke 'em if they can't take a ....

Email

« Reply #38 on: Sep 23rd, 2004, 6:51pm »

Just to sound in. I was on this site about 3-4 yrs ago. It was, and is still the best CH resource I've found. 8 yrs for me, skipping between episodic and chronic. Cycle now since March, 4-8 per day, 5-9 kip. Got really awful near Labor Day, almost to the minute, typical for me. I dread Labor day.
I've quit smoking for 18 mos, started again, quit again for a year. Seems to have no affect on my CHs. Alcohol does, but not as bad as some say. I don't drink nearly as much as when I was younger, but still a couple a day on average. Verap, Lotrel, Neurontin, Lithium, now Keppra, acupuncture, chiropractic, you name it, I've tried it! Lastly though, shrooms are on my list. Good luck, be HA FREE!!! PS-Stat dosed up to 7 a day for 2 weeks,(I have great insurance, and am very fortunate in that regard), Doc says I have a very healthy heart, for what it's worth. I'm blessed with a "very" supportive family and partner. I haven't always found the same understanding with employers though.
Question.........I'm 48 and male. Anyone know the approx age of when theses bastards leave? I was under the impression it was about early to mid fifties. Thanks for the forum!
IP Logged
aprilbee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ain't I a stinkah!!

« Reply #39 on: Sep 24th, 2004, 5:55pm »

I've had CH since I was 12, I smoke, I don't really drink, just when I am craving a beer (which is very very seldom)  smoking has no effect either way for me....but Kudos to you for trying!!   Wink  Heres hopin' you stay pain free!!
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #40 on: Sep 24th, 2004, 9:13pm »

Hey bobbio
Quote:
Question.........I'm 48 and male. Anyone know the approx age of when theses bastards leave? I was under the impression it was about early to mid fifties. Thanks for the forum!

I'm 57 and haven't had a true cycle in about 4 years. Unless you call attacks 4 nights in a row a cycle. That happens every 6 or so months. I do still get individual attacks 2 or 3 times a month. That I blame on my rotating work schedule. There are some here older than me that still have cycles and at least one guy about my age that hasn't had a cycle in 10 years.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Jaime
New Board Newbie
USA 

Is this your ice pick stuck in my skull?

« Reply #41 on: Sep 25th, 2004, 1:57am »

I smoked a pack a day for 8 years.  I quit smoking and drinking in 1988.  CH only started at the end of july this year.  

The best tips I learned for quitting smoking are as follows:

Smokers only inhale deeply when drawing on a cig,  and the extra oxygen is what relaxes,  so take 10 slow, deep breaths when you get hit with a craving.

The toxins get stored in fat cells.  When those cells get used,  the toxins release into your blood and cause the craving.  Drink a glass of water and instead of telling yourself "I want a cigarette" - tell yourself that the craving feeling is what you get for poisoning yourself, and that the water is cleansing the toxins from your body.

I bought myself a $40 leaded crystal goblet to use for drinking "special" ice water with lemon slices in it. That way I wasn't grieving the loss of an old friend, I was celebrating my victory instead.

I also put the cash I would have spent on cigarettes each day into a jar on my kitchen counter.  At the end of 1 year, I had $1500 in that jar. I spent $700 on a custom made ring I designed myself.  It is made out of white gold,  with a large star sapphire and 3 x 1/3 carat diamonds.  I still have that ring,  and it has appreciated in value during the past 16 years.  It's actually worth more than when I had it made.  The rest of the money I spent on a vacation.

There have been times during the past two months worth of CH that I thought about drinking and smoking!  I'm glad I haven't,  but I'd be lying if I said they hadn't crossed my mind.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2004, 1:58am by Jaime » IP Logged
shawn_c
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #42 on: Oct 4th, 2004, 10:16pm »

I to just joined a couple of days ago and smoke to.Im in the middle of an 8 week attack.My nero also keeps preaching that i should stop smoking but tpld me not to do it while having headaches to wait until im in remission.
IP Logged
rubberplant
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

"Why me, why me, why me!?!?"

rubber.plant@mac.com
WWW Email

« Reply #43 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 6:52am »

Hi shawn,

Had i been in the middle of a cycle, I wouldn't have bothered trying. I have now quit for 20 days and 21 hours! (had a couple of slip ups but going strong)

My GP backed my neuro up with the O2 in your blood when you smoke and all that. After my last fag I tested at 36 on a CO monitor, scared me slightly. you can fill your blood with cells that carry no oxygen near your brain at all! that can only help the hurting!

Bit concerned about how I will cope with my next cluster, I'm 2 weeks overdue. My last cluster came late, just before my son was born in july this year! At least one good thing came out of it all!!!

I hope the cycle ends soon Shawn,

PFDAN to all and best wishes!

James
IP Logged

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
http://www.james-gardner.co.uk
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss