Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 2:30am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Melatonin + Depakote »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Melatonin + Depakote
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Melatonin + Depakote  (Read 1629 times)
KanKan
New Board Newbie
USA 

sabres78   RidiKUB

Melatonin + Depakote
« on: Aug 31st, 2004, 5:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Its been 3 nights or so now, and still havent woken up once in the middle of the night (9mg Melatonin).  Seen my Neuro/Pain Specalist today, he told me to drop the Melatonin, because it is an herb suppliment, and to start on Depakote.  IM not to keen on stopping something that has worked 3 straight nights, since NOTHING they have givin me ever got me a full nights sleep.  He said it "Might" interact together, although Ive done a couple drug interaction checkers, and nothing.  I feel like waiting to see if Melatonin ever fails before i start the depakote, any suggestions?
IP Logged

Pain
People Think they know Pain
They know so little.
How can you explain Pain.
Its an Emptyness, A Hatred and Loss.
Its InDescribable.
thomas

Email

Re: Melatonin + Depakote
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31st, 2004, 5:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Well, I would use the melantonin, it's cheap, relatively inexpensive, and effective.  BTW day time hits are easier to deal with, if you get some sleep the night before.
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2004, 5:58pm by thomas » IP Logged
farmboy
New Board Veteran
USA 

In Cycle and in Pain

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31st, 2004, 6:00pm »

my DR. gave me melatonin so i could sleep at night.

IP Logged
KanKan
New Board Newbie
USA 

sabres78   RidiKUB

« Reply #3 on: Aug 31st, 2004, 6:02pm »

I rarely get day attacks, probably 10:1 from NIGHTCheesyAY attacks.  I dont need to buy the depakote, he gave me a huge bag full of them in boxes etc...    

I will definitly stick with melatonin till it fails me, if it dont, Ill have some Depakote to throw away one day
IP Logged

Pain
People Think they know Pain
They know so little.
How can you explain Pain.
Its an Emptyness, A Hatred and Loss.
Its InDescribable.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31st, 2004, 9:28pm »

Thomas nailed it!!

You can take both.  

Iwas taking Depakote as my first preventative med. Didn't do a thing for me other than make me dopey and did nothing for the night time hits.  

My only miracle has been the melatonin.
Stay with it. Why not? It can't hurt and if you're no longer getting night visits then just smile and enjoy!

Best
 Eric Cheesy
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
eyhavhedaches
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 1st, 2004, 11:56am »

I would not suggest holding off on the depakote untill the melatonin fails. Although I do not know much about melatonin and have never tried it myself, I do however have plenty of knowledge about your depakote. I have taken depakote for many many years. I do not take depakote for the whole year but I begin taking it about 60 days before my ch season arrives. The drug depakote is not an abortive it is a preventative and shows a much better efficacy for me if I take it this way for depakote takes some time to level out into your blood stream. This may be some peoples anserw to the drowsiness and dopey feeling of the drug as well. For the first 30 to 40 days I do get the drowsy dopey feeling from depakote but if I continue taking it without skipping any doses for the remainder of my ch cycle the drowsiness and dopey effects go away, however if I am careless and start missing my doses and do not take my depakote accordingly it is enough to throw the effectiveness of the drug off track and will increase the drowsy and dopey feelin because your body begins to build the level of the drug through your blood stream again untill it again levels out. That may explain the drowsy and dopey effect. I have had very positive effects from depakote when taking with verapimil. Although my headaches are still severe, they are more managable and in extreme cases I abort them with Immitrex Injections. The Immitrex is a last resort for me though for it is a very harsh drug which often more than not is followed by vommiting and tightness of my chest, however these effects are very much more welcomed than the beast! Immitrex has saved me countless and countless times, though I question the effects that it may some day have on my health. The key to my CH Management is to start my med therapy 2 months before I start my season. By doing this and not taking the meds year round the efficacy is much more better for me.
IP Logged

When pain is a daily event, the smallest of things can be a miracle!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss