Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 2:21am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Help for new sufferer »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Help for new sufferer
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help for new sufferer  (Read 493 times)
juliek
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Help for new sufferer
« on: Aug 31st, 2004, 5:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Can anyone tell me how to help my husband cope with cluster headaches?
I've read your messages, and they don't reasure me at all.  How do you cope with these things for all those years?
His started in October last year.  He got no help from his doctor, who told him that there is no specific treatment, and, as he was suffering from mild depression at the time, that they may go away when he feels better.
But how can he feel better if he's woken up two to three times a night with headaches so severe that he just wants to punch the walls?
He hasn't gone back to his doctor, because his brother has suffered from the same thing for many years, and nothing seemed to give him much relief, despite many trips to London to see a neurologist.  Also, he is reluctant to take medication as he also suffers from Congenital Glaucoma, and he has to be careful what he takes because of that.
We are both at our wits end, and, when I looked at the messages here, all I can see is that nothing can be done anyway!
IP Logged
KanKan
New Board Newbie
USA 

sabres78   RidiKUB

Re: Help for new sufferer
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31st, 2004, 5:51pm »

I would make his doctor refer him to a Neurologists, these headaches are nothing to "shrug" aside by any doctor.  He knows what kind of pain he is in, and his doctor should take that into consideration.  There is a lot of usefull information on this board to print and take to him if he is still not listening.  The usual Catscan will take place first, then it comes to trying to medicate, or control the situation.
IP Logged

Pain
People Think they know Pain
They know so little.
How can you explain Pain.
Its an Emptyness, A Hatred and Loss.
Its InDescribable.
farmboy
New Board Veteran
USA 

In Cycle and in Pain

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31st, 2004, 5:57pm »

get  another DR.  

THere meds that will help with the CHs.

IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 31st, 2004, 7:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Contact OUCH UK. They can give you the best guidance.

In fact there is an OUCH UK wench around here somewhere. I'll drag her over for you.
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2004, 7:55pm by don » IP Logged
Filbert
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

"Gravy-pure gravy and don't forget it."

HRe: Help for new sufferer
« Reply #4 on: Aug 31st, 2004, 8:31pm »

Hi Julie
           I'm sorry that your husband is suffering so much at the moment.I understand your despair and can't pretend that clusterheadaches are something that are easy to treat or learn to live with.
           However there are things that can be done to improve things. There's lots of medical info here and on OUCH UK that are worth reading up on and will at least enable you and your husband to gain some knowledge about cluster headache treatments.  
           I echo what has been already said in that it is crucial that you get a medical diagnosis and then things should progress from there,
          Don's right you will get a friendly response from OUCH UK and I hope to see you over there soon!

All the best Filbert
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2004, 8:44pm by Filbert » IP Logged
Jonny

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 31st, 2004, 8:36pm »

http://www.clusterheadaches.org.uk/home/index.cfm?address=../home/txt_we lcome.cfm&added=Dec2001&code=AD

Links dudes, links!

..................................jonny
IP Logged
kissmyglass
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Don't Mix Triptans

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 31st, 2004, 9:32pm »

Look into getting Oxygen...works wonders for many....

Good Luck!

KEv
IP Logged

"It does so fucking look like her" - Picasso
[img][/img]
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 1st, 2004, 1:37am »

on Aug 31st, 2004, 9:32pm, kissmyglass wrote:
Look into getting Oxygen

They're from England, Kev. Think, man. O2 is like pulling hens teeth over there, yet shrooms are sold on every corner.

Go figger,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 1st, 2004, 2:27am »

Julie

Hello there, I'm the "wench" Don is referring to. My name is Wendy.

Despite the doom and gloom you may read about CH, the position on a cure is gloomy, but for many people, particularly episodic sufferers, the condition can be 'managed' in such a way that life is not that bad.

The key to this is either educating your Doctor or neuro about the right treatments, or changing to one who knows or will listen.
Your current Doctor is a fool if he says there are no specific treatments, of course there are, and they are readily available on the NHS.

There is a lot to tell you about, too much for one post, so the best thing is either to post on the OUCH Uk support board (link above, thanks Jonny) ring our Helpline, or get your husband to as he may feel miles better just to talk to another person going through what he is (all Helpline volunteers are knowledgeable sufferers) or I am happy to talk to you privately.
I have messaged you with all the contacts you need.

Don't despeir or let your husband do so, life will be a whole lot better when he gets the right help

Wendy
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 1st, 2004, 9:42am »

If he is getting woken up with them try melatonin.

Nighttime hits?
Ch is a terrible condition and they hurt no matter what time of the day you get hit.  Personally, the ones that kill me the most, are the ones that come while I am sleeping.  Many people have had success avoiding the nighttime hits by using melatonin, which in the U.S. is available over the counter.  The dosage varies from person to person, but most usually have success with anywhere from 6-9mg.  Some have had luck with much lower doses as well; you may have to experiment with the dosage, in order to find the one that is best for you.  As with any medication, check with your doctor before you start using it.
PFNAD to all.
IP Logged
juliek
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Sep 1st, 2004, 5:02pm »

Thanks for the replies.  I'll certainly have a look at ouchuk.  Meanwhile, I've persuaded him to go back to the GP, as his own doctor is on holiday.  Maybe he'll have more look with another one!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss