Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 2:17am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « DEXA-SCAN (Info for Prednisone users) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   DEXA-SCAN (Info for Prednisone users)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: DEXA-SCAN (Info for Prednisone users)  (Read 403 times)
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

DEXA-SCAN (Info for Prednisone users)
« on: Aug 30th, 2004, 9:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I saw a rheumatologist at the beginning of this month for some problems that I've been having for quite some time.  He took a good history of my headaches, medications, hospital stays...etc.

One thing he asked me was if I ever had a DEXA-Scan.  This scan is done to test bone density and is used to diagnose osteoporosis.  It will also show if someone is on their way to osteoporosis.  I think most women usually are recommended to get this scan after age 40?  Not sure.

At any rate, I'd never had one.  He told me it was vitally important because of the fact that I take prednisone/decadron/salumedrol pretty frequently.  We all know that corticosteroids have bad side effects.  One of these side effects is that it breaks down bone.  So it is pretty important to get a test done like this scan to find out if the steroid use is causing damage.

I wasn't going to be able to get the scan when I had my HMO insurance...probably because of my age and the fact that the HMO may not have paid.  However, now that I have my PPO insurance back, I can get the scan.  It makes me infuriated that the medical system works this way!!  But anyhow that is besides the point...

I'm due to get the scan on the 14th.  Any of you who use the steroids frequently to knock out your cycles, I would definately recommend asking your doctors about this!

Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

Re: DEXA-SCAN (Info for Prednisone users)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30th, 2004, 10:58pm »

Do you think that this would apply to men as well as women?  I've used pred for years...
IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31st, 2004, 12:54pm »

I'm not sure John.  Generally men aren't as prone to osteoporosis as women are, but I'd think that with the pred use, the risk is higher.  Maybe just at least ask your doc what he or she thinks?
IP Logged

UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 31st, 2004, 1:25pm »

I've used as much steriods as anyone.  

I just recently had the highest dose that i've ever had ... After a Decadron injection at the ER and a Medrol DosePak a week earlier ... I entered the hospital for 500 mg Solu Medrol (IV infusions) every 12 hours for 3 straight days followed by a Prednisone taper that I began @ 100 mg per day ... an 18 day taper.

Docs have said i'm gonna "fall down and break some bones & be in a wheelchair" ... but they still have never suggested a bone scan.  

Like Imitrex ... I'll probably use it til I die !!

Unsolved
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31st, 2004, 8:52pm »

Unsolved,

Ask them about the bone scan.  My neuro never recommended it either.  My theory behind this is that the rheumatologist recommended it because he deals with bones and joints.  He's the one who takes care of the people with osteoporosis.  Why would my neuro care?  That's not his area. LOL  And if there is a bone density issue, then steps can be taken now to prevent it before it gets worse...and that does not necessarily mean stopping the steroid use.

That's my thought on it anyways.  At least try to catch it before it gets bad!

Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 1st, 2004, 1:22am »

on Aug 31st, 2004, 1:25pm, UN_SOLVED wrote:
Docs have said i'm gonna "fall down and break some bones & be in a wheelchair" ... but they still have never suggested a bone scan.  

Unsolved

It's not just about falling down and breaking bones. Long term corticosteroid (like prednisone) usage can cause Avascular Necrosis. Bone death. This type of damage plays no favorites between male and female. It comes from cutting off the blood supply to the bones and joints through vascular constriction. In this case you don't break a hip and wait for it to heal, you replace it.
Radio Isotope scanning will show this damage much earlier than the usual radiograph testing.  

PF
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss