Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 28th, 2024, 9:49pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « A couple of questions... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   A couple of questions...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A couple of questions...  (Read 336 times)
Saga
New Board Newbie
Norway 

-

A couple of questions...
« on: Aug 28th, 2004, 6:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi People,

I'm pretty new at this message board,  but I have used this site for years now. I have a couple of questions that I hope I can get some help/answers on.

- I  had the CH diagnosis for about 10-12 years now, with usually 1 or 2 cycles a year. Usually the cycles last ca. 3 weeks with 1 attack every other day the first week, 1 to 2 attacks every day the second week, and 1 attack every other day the last week. But this cycle I'm in now is different. It has now lasted for 4-5 weeks, and the last week and a half I have had ca 3 attacks every day! and they are bad ones as well, many of the is KIP 9-10  Embarassed.. What is this? is my CH getting worse? hope not, I'm terrified by the thought of turning cronic...

- I use Imigran(Imitrex) injections, and the Doc says that I can't take more than 2 shots a day. I'm now taking 3 shots a day. Is this dangerous?

-the only Treatment I have used for CH is Imigran. Am I missing out on useful medicines?

- I read a CH FAQ where it said that 78-80% of the Ch sufferers is heavy smokers, drinkers (not alcoholic), and have stressful jobs. This description fits me like a glove. Has anyone that fit this discription tried to quit smoking and drinking and changed to a less stressful job, and had positive changes regarding CH?

A lot of questions, but I'll be very thankful if anyone answers me on some of these questions. Smiley

take care,

Saga
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: A couple of questions...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28th, 2004, 6:16pm »

Welcome to the board Saga

on Aug 28th, 2004, 6:06pm, Saga wrote:
Hi People,

I'm pretty new at this message board,  but I have used this site for years now. I have a couple of questions that I hope I can get some help/answers on.

- I  had the CH diagnosis for about 10-12 years now, with usually 1 or 2 cycles a year. Usually the cycles last ca. 3 weeks with 1 attack every other day the first week, 1 to 2 attacks every day the second week, and 1 attack every other day the last week. But this cycle I'm in now is different. It has now lasted for 4-5 weeks, and the last week and a half I have had ca 3 attacks every day! and they are bad ones as well, many of the is KIP 9-10  Embarassed.. What is this? is my CH getting worse? hope not, I'm terrified by the thought of turning cronic...Cycles change over time. Some are worse than others. happens to us all. Chronic? Chronic is a measure of time. Your current bout has been 5 weeks. You have 47 weeks to go to become chronic.
- I use Imigran(Imitrex) injections, and the Doc says that I can't take more than 2 shots a day. I'm now taking 3 shots a day. Is this dangerous?Probably not but may be getting close. On the left side of the screen is a button 'imitrex tip'. Click it. It will show you how to use 2 or 3 doses of 2 - 3mg from one 6mg shot.

-the only Treatment I have used for CH is Imigran. Am I missing out on useful medicines?Yes. There are preventives such a verapamil. And another abortive that most use....pure oxygen. There is a button on the left side of the screen about O2.

- I read a CH FAQ where it said that 78-80% of the Ch sufferers is heavy smokers, True drinkers (not alcoholic), True again and have stressful jobs.Not necessarily This description fits me like a glove. Has anyone that fit this discription tried to quit smoking and drinking and changed to a less stressful job, Yes to all 3 for many people and had positive changes regarding CH?Nope

A lot of questions, but I'll be very thankful if anyone answers me on some of these questions. Smiley

take care,

Saga

IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
floridian

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 28th, 2004, 7:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You are not chronic.  I have had summers with cluster headaches for 8 til 10 weeks.  Starts with 1 per day, builds up to 5 or more per day.  At first they are at 6 am, they spread backwards and start earlier and earlier while I sleep, then they can happen when I am awake.  But the headaches always go away.  

No guarantee that quiting smoking will help, though it is good in general for your health.  Alcohol is definitely a trigger for many people when they are in a cycle.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2004, 7:00pm by floridian » IP Logged
Ronny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Belgium 

Yabba Dabba Doo

maximus_imperius  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 29th, 2004, 3:58am »

Hi,

Same story here, cycles were 3-4 weeks, this one has got me for 3 months now and is slowly reaching an end now ( i hope)

You said you take imigran injections but i dont read anything about preventatives. Do you have any kind of preventative?

Ronny.
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2004, 4:03am by Ronny » IP Logged

Count your rainbows, not your thunderstorms.
Saga
New Board Newbie
Norway 

-

« Reply #4 on: Aug 29th, 2004, 12:32pm »

on Aug 29th, 2004, 3:58am, Ronny wrote:
Hi,

Same story here, cycles were 3-4 weeks, this one has got me for 3 months now and is slowly reaching an end now ( i hope)

You said you take imigran injections but i dont read anything about preventatives. Do you have any kind of preventative?

Ronny.

Hi,

Thanx for the replies. The only medication I take is imigran. No Doc or nevrologis have told me of anything else.

I tried with my morning attack today to take only half the Imigran injection, but the only thing that happened was that I war "rocking" for 1 1/2 hour :S.. That tricks doesn't work on me, it seems...

What happen if you "OD" on Imigran?

I have seen a nerologist only once, is there a idea to go see one again? It's 10 years since my visit there.

saga
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2004, 12:59pm by Saga » IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 29th, 2004, 4:29pm »

I don't smoke or drink and the dr thought stress from work etc was causing my ch or at least agrivating its frequency level.  I quit working and went on disability for last 4 years and it didn't relieve it at all.  
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 29th, 2004, 6:43pm »

Coffee and cigarettes . . . we went through enough of both to have the world wired on coffee and have black lungs . . .quitting them didn't help a bit . . .so we went back to them *g* . . . stress did make D's worse,  and would sure intensify them.
All the drugs that docs tried on him didn't work . . .o2 did abort *smiles*
There are some who believe (we are in this group) that Imitrex causes rebound h/as, so we aren't really in favor of it.  As for danger, there are people who use LOTS . . .but there is risk . . your heart can only take so much . .who knows how much is your limit?
Check www.clusterbusters.com this is the only thing that broke D's 20 year chronic cycle.
*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss