Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 28th, 2024, 9:31pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Today.... I Crashed. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Today.... I Crashed.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Today.... I Crashed.  (Read 545 times)
KanKan
New Board Newbie
USA 

sabres78   RidiKUB

Today.... I Crashed.
« on: Aug 26th, 2004, 6:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, after 3 years of having CH's, today is my most painful and long day.  Its been about 2 weeks into this cycle, and still no meds worth talking about ( My GP is ignorant to CH, and waiting for Neuro to get me in).  In the last 5 days, I would estimate atleast 16 headaches, all occuring at night except one, estimating about 9-12 hours sleep total in those 5 days.   Woke up on the floor after another headache last night, and attempted to go into work.  I work in a warehouse, that you could call "loud". Well, 2 hours later, I left to hospital.  

In the hospital, they were smart enough to give me a room with the light off.   After a shot in the butt of Tramadol, I was off to get EKG (dont ask me why) and catscan.  All tests showed that I dont have anything unusual again, so once again I had to hear a doctor inform me what cluster headaches are, although something told me I knew more about them then he did.  He scripted me lortabs because he said I will only get worse If i dont start sleeping more then 1-2 hour a night.  I hope these let me sleep....

(for anything that sounded like my son wrote it, its because of the day i had)
IP Logged

Pain
People Think they know Pain
They know so little.
How can you explain Pain.
Its an Emptyness, A Hatred and Loss.
Its InDescribable.
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

Re: Today.... I Crashed.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 7:14pm »

Lortabs are going to be useless.

Have you thought about obtaining O2?
IP Logged

Chris
KanKan
New Board Newbie
USA 

sabres78   RidiKUB

« Reply #2 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 7:19pm »

Im hoping my neuro will hook me up with some kind of o2 / trex combo, but untill then, im just trying to get to sleep.
IP Logged

Pain
They know so little.
Its InDescribable.
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 7:24pm »

You're right about the lack of sleep...I get to the point that lack of sleep will start triggering some really baaad CH's.  It's a really vicious circle.  CH won't let you sleep, you go without, even more CH's happen.  You might get your GP to prescribe prednisone and verapamil.  The pred has done a good job for me in getting a little relief.

Hope things get better for you..
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2004, 7:25pm by IndianaJohn » IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #4 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 7:35pm »

Try melatonin. It works wonders for many to get some sleep.
And if you can't get O2 from your neuro or soon enough I'd suggest getting some welders O2.
IP Logged

Chris
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 7:46pm »

You could try looking for a headache clinic near you.  They seem to be growing in numbers.
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 8:25pm »

I agree with the Melatonin idea - can truly be a great help for some night sufferers.  At least it might help a little until you can get your GP to wise up or your neuro appt. happens.

When I'm in cycle, I take 9 mg/night about an hour before bed.  Some people take more.  The best thing about it?  It's available OTC at your friendly neighborhood pharmacy or grocery store!

Hugs and wishes for a good night's sleep,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 8:28pm »

I am becoming a huge advocate for melatonin.  
It seems that many of us have caught a break from the night time hits by taking it prior to attempting sleep.  

I personally take 6-9mg about 1/2 an hour before I'm going to lay down. I've taken back my nights and have pretty much eliminated the night hits. Sleep is a bonus for most of us and rarely occurs. I feel lucky because of this.  

Good luck and hope you can get some sleep as well as catch an all around break!

Best,

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
KanKan
New Board Newbie
USA 

sabres78   RidiKUB

« Reply #8 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 8:43pm »

Ok, now if i was not tottaly loopy from all the crap that was stuck into me today, id rush and buy some right NOW.  I WILL be buying some of that tomorrow after my 16 hour shift *god help me*

Thank you all for your help, nasty to see that all this pain can be brought on such nice ppl.
IP Logged

Pain
They know so little.
Its InDescribable.
KanKan
New Board Newbie
USA 

sabres78   RidiKUB

« Reply #9 on: Aug 27th, 2004, 6:19am »

*update-

The lortab, as expected, made me extremely drugged feeling, and had absolutely no effect on my sleep.  I woke up within 20 mins of falling asleep, but this time was unable to cope as good as I can sometimes, since i was SOOO stoned, thank you doc....

I willl be picking up some melatonin today.
IP Logged

Pain
They know so little.
Its InDescribable.
Ronny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Belgium 

Yabba Dabba Doo

maximus_imperius  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 27th, 2004, 8:01am »

on Aug 26th, 2004, 6:59pm, KanKan wrote:
he said I will only get worse If i dont start sleeping more then 1-2 hour a night.

Hi,  

My cycle is running at his end (i hope). Last week i drove to Germany over night and the next day: Wham, conclusion "No or little sleep triggers CH for me" I thought it before because i never sleep long but now i'm sure of it.  

PFDAN
     Ronny.
IP Logged

Count your rainbows, not your thunderstorms.
ex_pat_asia
New Board Veteran
Malaysia 

"Sometimes the wolves lie down and the Moon howls

Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 27th, 2004, 12:53pm »

on Aug 26th, 2004, 6:59pm, KanKan wrote:
Well, after 3 years of having CH's, today is my most painful and long day.  Its been about 2 weeks into this cycle, and still no meds worth talking about ( My GP is ignorant to CH, and waiting for Neuro to get me in).  In the last 5 days, I would estimate atleast 16 headaches, all occuring at night except one, estimating about 9-12 hours sleep total in those 5 days.   Woke up on the floor after another headache last night, and attempted to go into work.  I work in a warehouse, that you could call "loud". Well, 2 hours later, I left to hospital.  

In the hospital, they were smart enough to give me a room with the light off.   After a shot in the butt of Tramadol, I was off to get EKG (dont ask me why) and catscan.  All tests showed that I dont have anything unusual again, so once again I had to hear a doctor inform me what cluster headaches are, although something told me I knew more about them then he did.  He scripted me lortabs because he said I will only get worse If i dont start sleeping more then 1-2 hour a night.  I hope these let me sleep....

KanKan...you Kan't Kan't. Let yourself off the hook I mean. You need to take charge of your care. I suspect that you may benefit a great deal from the info you can find here. Trust me, a neuro, by virtue of his certificates, isn't necessarily going to be any more helpful, though it is likely he will be. You really have to accept the challenge that cluster presents us...that is to be proactive in our treatment. Frankly, letting a dr. prescribe, and then taking, lortabs isn't a good start. One of the posts above mentions melatonin. Thats a great start. It has been shown to be effective in studies, and it seems to ameliorate the attacks I get, especially those at night. By adding verapamil and a steriod taper, I broke up the 7-8 attacks per day I was experiencing. By making Oxygen and Imitrex available, I have been able to abort  those attacks that get through. I am not completely out of cycle yet...but I am manging the one I am in without sleeping pills or tramadol. (By the way, tramadol is actually a lightweight for cluster. It is used for moderate to moderately severe pain. Cluster is severe, and if you must have relief from a stubborn attack then you should pursuade them to give you demerol or equivalent. Be warned, however, that rebound pain may come on with any of these and, in general, they are not very helpful unless you have reached a point where you must be knocked out. (It does happen).  

Get to some Oxygen, melatonin, and a neuro right away. No need for you to go on with what you describe.

Best,
IP Logged

ex_pat_asia
"Work like you don't need the money,
dance like no one is watching,
love like you'll never get hurt" - Anon.
KanKan
New Board Newbie
USA 

sabres78   RidiKUB

« Reply #12 on: Aug 28th, 2004, 12:15am »

I tottally agree.  I feel like I have to educate everyone that hears the word "cluster headache" because of the comparison it has to "migranes".  I try explaining to people that this isnt just a "are you over them yet?" kinda thing.  I wrote my slip when I entered the ER as "CLUSTER HEADACHES", but when I left, they told me that "Their conclusion was I had cluster headaches..." .  I wanted to say " HELLOOO YOUR LIKE 5 HOURS TOO LATE on THAT CONCLUSION!!".

I made an apt with Neuro today, its for Tuesday, and I will not walk out of there without satisfaction.  Last night I ended up butt ass naked in the shower on the coldest temp it would go, for 10 mins, till i layed shivvering in pain on the bathroom floor.  Not the kind of night we look forward too I know.  

IP Logged

Pain
They know so little.
Its InDescribable.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss