Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 28th, 2024, 9:52pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Question on Imitrex »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Question on Imitrex
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Question on Imitrex  (Read 296 times)
gusher
New Board Newbie
USA 

When life deals you lemons, get Tequila and salt!

Email

Question on Imitrex
« on: Aug 26th, 2004, 4:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ladies and Gents,

Curious to hear what happens after you all give yourself an injection of Imitrex.  For me, everytime I take a shot, within two or three minutes, the pain of my CH will grow in intensity and then will start to subside.  The pain will just about go away, then ramp back up again a bit, the leave.  

Does this happen to anyone else?

Be well,
Greg...
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

Re: Question on Imitrex
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 4:43pm »

No...
It makes me feel like I'm being strangled from the chest up then the headache goes away.
IP Logged

Chris
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 4:49pm »

Hi Greg,

I used to use it before I had CH...not allowed to use it anymore because of too rapid a heart rate that I get.  Also, it is contraindicated with my other headache type.  Anyhow...when I did use it, it did make my headache worse for a little bit and then better.  DHE does that to me too.  I'm not sure if it is the vascular changes that cause that worse headache first.  That used to get so bad I'd want to puke, but then after a few more minutes of waiting it out, it got better.

Good luck!
Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

Ronny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Belgium 

Yabba Dabba Doo

maximus_imperius  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 5:35pm »

on Aug 26th, 2004, 4:43pm, Superpain wrote:
No...
It makes me feel like I'm being strangled from the chest up then the headache goes away.

Same here, and it feels so good to kick him in the ass. Cheesy
IP Logged

Count your rainbows, not your thunderstorms.
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #4 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 7:51pm »

I use the nasal spray but when the trex finally starts catching the beast, it's as if it starts to fight the trex harder.  Don't know about any truth to it but it seems the pain will try real hard not to leave once the trex is in me.  Like it knows it going away and has to do all it can to try and stay.  I expect it though and know it won't be long after that, but it is a battle waiting for the beast to give up sometimes using the nasal.  I just figure the trex is starting to affect the beast but isn't all there in sufficient quantity yet to put the fire out and the beast fights to stay alive.  
  Kind of like putting salt on a worm.  It will squirm with all it has before it dies.

Kevin M
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 8:19pm »

Hi,

I'm like Superpain - strangling from the chest up, hair on fire, then HA gone - usually in under 5 minutes.

I think what you're feeling is pretty common, though.  Have read alot about it here on the board.  Almost like the beast tries one last time to get ahold of you before fading off into the sunset (or moonrise).  *smile*

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Jonny

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 8:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Nope........It just kills the beast in his tracks.

..............................................jonny
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 10:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Take the shot and 3 - 5 minutes later its a done deal.
IP Logged
gusher
New Board Newbie
USA 

When life deals you lemons, get Tequila and salt!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 27th, 2004, 9:48am »

Ladies and Gents,

Thanks for all of your replies.  Sounds like a pretty common thing for the beast to fight like hell and then give up.  That has been the case every time I've taken the Imitrex...that is until last Friday.  I play basketball every day at lunch and, when I'm in a cycle, I will get a CH about 1/2 hour after I get done.  Last Friday I played, got a CH, gutted it out as long as I could (foolishly, since I know it's inevitable that I'm gonna have to give myself a shot), and injected the Imitrex.  The CH flared up, just like it always does, then stayed right there and wouldn't budge.  I couldn't believe it!  My savior, my parachute, my "make it all go away" cure did not work.  Did 20 minuted on O2 and it finally subsided.  But, I must say, it scared the hell out of me.  Haven't played since.  Dr. doubled my Depakote to 1000mg in the morning and 500 at night starting on Monday so will be playing at lunch today and see what happens!

Be well,
Greg...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss