Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 6:03pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « got nausea? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   got nausea?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: got nausea?  (Read 1816 times)
miarella
New Board Newbie
Chile 

Email

Re: got nausea?
« Reply #50 on: Aug 28th, 2004, 5:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 28th, 2004, 5:19pm, Kevin_M wrote:

Oxygen would not be used to treat nausea, but what is your experience with the nausea once the headache subsides?  I wouldn't know, you might be better to answer that question if you use oxygen.  Or are you not currently using it and wonder if the nausea would go away when the headache does using oxygen.  Does yours linger with your preventative and for how long?  Does it need to be treated separately afterwards?
  I believe Lizzy2 made mention of a medication for nausea.  

Now that you ask, I've had 5 bouts in the last 9 years. Only the last one came with nausea included. And well, I didn't like the combination. (actually it scared the hell out of me, i was sure a had a brain tumor or an aneurysm)

Doc put me on preventives (verap, pred, amytrip) and the headaches stopped immediately. So did the nausea linked to the ha. (no separate meds)

On the next bout I plan to use oxygen. I've never used it before, so I don't know if it works for me, but it would certainly be a relief to know it could get rid of pro-vomiting feelings too.

So if anyone knows....
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #51 on: Aug 28th, 2004, 5:52pm »

on Aug 28th, 2004, 5:47pm, Samantha_Smith wrote:

What are other people's vomit receptacle preferences?
The air conditioning vents of my ex-wife's car.

What are other people's vomit quickening techniques?
The ex-wife

Shocked
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
miarella
New Board Newbie
Chile 

Email

« Reply #52 on: Aug 28th, 2004, 5:55pm »

on Aug 28th, 2004, 5:47pm, Samantha_Smith wrote:

I love vomit.  I really really love it.  Samantha

lol, yeah, i can tell that's true

thanks for your lovely input
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #53 on: Aug 28th, 2004, 6:02pm »

on Aug 28th, 2004, 5:48pm, miarella wrote:
Now that you ask, I've had 5 bouts in the last 9 years. Only the last one came with nausea included. And well, I didn't like the combination. (actually it scared the hell out of me, i was sure a had a brain tumor or an aneurysm)

Why after 5 bouts of clusters would you think it was an aneurysm or brain tumor with the addition of nausea?  It is best to get a CAT scan to alleviate those worries.  Usually they are quickly refered by doctors when clusters are mentioned.

Quote:
Doc put me on preventives (verap, pred, amytrip) and the headaches stopped immediately. So did the nausea linked to the ha. (no separate meds)

I don't see an abortive here for use. Did the pred stop the entire cycle?

Quote:
On the next bout I plan to use oxygen. I've never used it before, so I don't know if it works for me, but it would certainly be a relief to know it could get rid of pro-vomiting feelings too.

So if anyone knows....

Oxygen would be good, as for the nausea, I wouldn't get high hopes though.

Kevin M
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2004, 6:03pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
miarella
New Board Newbie
Chile 

Email

« Reply #54 on: Aug 28th, 2004, 6:02pm »

on Aug 28th, 2004, 5:39pm, don wrote:

God knows how unsupportive we are. Shame on us.

By the way. Do you actually have CH or do you just surf around critiqing (sp) message boards?

ok, sorry, I know you are supportive most of the time. But I don't think knocking the newbies for asking over asked questions is a good thing to do.  

Also, searching in the archives is an excellent option when you are looking for info, but in my opinion, if you want support it's better to talk to somebody.

Gawd....  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #55 on: Aug 28th, 2004, 6:10pm »

on Aug 28th, 2004, 5:48pm, miarella wrote:

This last bout seems peculiar, with the addition of nausea and the quick stemming of the episode.  I am no doctor though.

Kevin M

IP Logged
miarella
New Board Newbie
Chile 

Email

« Reply #56 on: Aug 28th, 2004, 6:12pm »

on Aug 28th, 2004, 6:02pm, Kevin_M wrote:

Why after 5 bouts of clusters would you think it was an aneurysm or brain tumor with the addition of nausea?  It is best to get a CAT scan to alleviate those worries.  Usually they are quickly refered by doctors when clusters are mentioned.

I read somewhere that the combination of severe headache+nausea could indicate a very serious condition. Although the ha was familiar to me, I was misdiagnosed many years ago (tension ha), so I wasn't sure what it was at that time. Actually I was diagnosed during this last bout. I had a MRI done and everything was fine.

I don't see an abortive here for use. Did the pred stop the entire cycle?

Yes, Pred worked great. Anyway, since oxygen seems safer I really want to give it a try.

IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #57 on: Aug 28th, 2004, 6:19pm »

Well, now you've given enough info to be commented on.  The pred is not an abortive though, what did you use in previous episodes?  This last episode is more unusual.

Kevin M
IP Logged
miarella
New Board Newbie
Chile 

Email

« Reply #58 on: Aug 28th, 2004, 6:46pm »

I didn't use any meds in the previous episodes, after being misdiagnosed, except for muscle relaxants which did nothing to relieve the ha, but helped the muscular pain I get right after.

I remember back in 1998 or so I found this site, and I though clusters were a likely explanation since descriptions were exactly what I was going through. The following bouts were awful, but I could still carry on with my everyday life, because the attacks came at night and very rarely in the morning. So I didn't go to see any docs.

But this last bout, as you point out, was indeed unsual. All the ha's came at 8 am and were VERY extended (2 hrs, they used to last only 30 mins before). After the ha's I was exausted and a softer pain remained until 7 pm. There was these 3 weeks when I couldn't go to work or get anything done.  

So, I went to a 1st neuro who said I had CPH because I was a woman and cluster was for "heavy drinking males" and put me on a high dose of indomethacin, which of couse didn't help at all.  

Then, I finally got to the 2nd neuro, I described the symptoms and he laughed and said. "God! It's so obvious you have cluster, you have every symptom"  Roll Eyes

Well, he gave me my first meds and I couldn't believe I got my life back in 24 hrs. That's why now I call him the neuromagician.  Grin

awwwww, happy?? ending  Shocked
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #59 on: Aug 28th, 2004, 7:07pm »

on Aug 28th, 2004, 6:46pm, miarella wrote:
I didn't use any meds in the previous episodes, after being misdiagnosed, except for muscle relaxants which did nothing to relieve the ha, but helped the muscular pain I get right after.

I remember back in 1998 or so I found this site, and I though clusters were a likely explanation since descriptions were exactly what I was going through. The following bouts were awful, but I could still carry on with my everyday life, because the attacks came at night and very rarely in the morning. So I didn't go to see any docs.

This is entirely off the radar screen for clusters.  No meds would be rarity in 1998.  Muscular pain is not really a symptom.  Attacks at night are common, but only at night are not.   Being able to carry on with everyday life doesn't sound right without seeing a doc.  Perhaps a self diagnosis from reading the board?

Quote:
But this last bout, as you point out, was indeed unsual. All the ha's came at 8 am and were VERY extended (2 hrs, they used to last only 30 mins before). After the ha's I was exausted and a softer pain remained until 7 pm. There was these 3 weeks when I couldn't go to work or get anything done.

A very extended headache that came once a day and then shadowed all day.   I don't know Miarella.  

Quote:
So, I went to a 1st neuro who said I had CPH because I was a woman and cluster was for "heavy drinking males" and put me on a high dose of indomethacin, which of couse didn't help at all.

This was a wrong conclusion from your previous words.  

Quote:
Then, I finally got to the 2nd neuro, I described the symptoms and he laughed and said. "God! It's so obvious you have cluster, you have every symptom"  Roll Eyes

I don't see much related to clusters yet.

Quote:
Well, he gave me my first meds and I couldn't believe I got my life back in 24 hrs. That's why now I call him the neuromagician.  Grin

awwwww, happy?? ending  Shocked

This is uncommon too.  

Don't know Miarella, but I am glad you are pain free now.  It's jumpy puzzle all around but the pieces don't fit well for clusters.  

Anyway, you'll know if it comes back, clusters are unmistakably debilitating without meds and unmanageable with meds.  I hope it's not going to happen.

Kevin M

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2004, 11:02pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
miarella
New Board Newbie
Chile 

Email

« Reply #60 on: Aug 28th, 2004, 9:26pm »

Well, Kevin, I had a top neurologist to diagnose me with cluster headache, so I don't have much of a doubt about my diagnosis. Also he stated that the effectiveness of the meds he put me on was another signal for him that cluster was the right diagnosis.
I do believe him, although I am open to accept it could be something different, but I don't think so.

Anyway, I don't think I need to tell you my symptoms because you know them. Half sided non switching excruciating pain behing the eye, temple and down the jaw. Raises in 5 mins, goes away in 15. When it's going away, sometimes I get this large needle/electric thing in the back of my head, which comes every 30 secs or so and lasts 10 mins. Stuffed nose on the side of the ha, read, tearing eye, face flush sometimes. Occurs at the same time of the day. Bouts last 1-1,5 months, remission last 1-2 years.  

As for the muscle pain, I read somewhere it is an effect of having your muscles contracted during the attack, it's like how would you have your arms if you lifted a car for 2 hours a day??

I wish I could show you a proof I am a clusterhead, because another thing I've observed here is that somehow you have to "qualify" to be recognized as a clusterhead. Many older posters go "hummm, are you sure you are a cluster?? do you fit 100% our profile?? because this sounds like...."

I know there's many people who like to diagnose themselves based on internet info, but being so suspicious about is ridiculous. I mean anyone who's not mental does not want to be here. I do wish I had tensional ha or migraine or a screwed muscle on my back. But everything points out that I have cluster ha's.

ok, now flame me again people...
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #61 on: Aug 28th, 2004, 9:51pm »

I'm not here to change your beliefs.  You are pain free now.  Don't worry about what your diagnosis is until it comes back again.  If you can stop clusters in 24 hours, I wouldn't even worry about it.  It just seems that's something no one else has been able to do yet.  Be happy it all worked for you.  
  Clusters or not you are one lucky person.  Like I said though, you'll know if it's clusters when it comes back and you find the pred only works for about two weeks and you find yourself without an abortive.  You will know.  I'm no doctor but you have three diagnosis' to choose from and the pred stopped it in it's tracks, and your nausea in 24 hours, that's all that is known so far.  If clusters works that way for you, you are one special person.  Unfortunately, that is not an experience I've read before here.  
  I am not judging, just hoping it keeps working that way for you.  Perhaps it may not even return for you too.  If it does, and it's clusters, be ready for something you may not be prepared for.

Best to you.

sp.

Kevin M
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2004, 9:53pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #62 on: Aug 28th, 2004, 9:51pm »

on Aug 28th, 2004, 9:26pm, miarella wrote:
Anyway, I don't think I need to tell you my symptoms because you know them. Half sided non switching excruciating pain behing the eye, temple and down the jaw. Raises in 5 mins, goes away in 15. When it's going away, sometimes I get this large needle/electric thing in the back of my head, which comes every 30 secs or so and lasts 10 mins. Stuffed nose on the side of the ha, read, tearing eye, face flush sometimes. Occurs at the same time of the day. Bouts last 1-1,5 months, remission last 1-2 years.

No nausea?

Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Jonny

Email

« Reply #63 on: Aug 28th, 2004, 10:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hmmmmm.....CPH?  Roll Eyes

..........................jonny
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #64 on: Aug 28th, 2004, 11:56pm »

Miarella,

You are a puzzle because in one post these are your symptoms:  at night only, can carry on with life.
Quote:
I could still carry on with my everyday life, because the attacks came at night and very rarely in the morning

Same post but next bout of headaches:  in the morning  only, can't carry on with life.
Quote:
All the ha's came at 8 am and were VERY extended (2 hrs, they used to last only 30 mins before). After the ha's I was exausted and a softer pain remained until 7 pm. There was these 3 weeks when I couldn't go to work or get anything done.

Then there are these different symptoms:
Quote:
Raises in 5 mins, goes away in 15. When it's going away, sometimes I get this large needle/electric thing in the back of my head, which comes every 30 secs or so and lasts 10 mins.

Then you say this, which is the third doctor altogether:
Quote:
Then, I finally got to the 2nd neuro, I described the symptoms and he laughed and said. "God! It's so obvious you have cluster, you have every symptom"

I was wondering, which of these symptoms did you tell him about that made his diagnosis so obvious?  All the symptoms seem very different to me.  Of course, I am no doctor.  Can you see any continuity to these three headaches symptoms by themselves?

However:
Quote:
Well, he gave me my first meds and I couldn't believe I got my life back in 24 hrs.

I can't follow this very well.

Kevin M

IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #65 on: Aug 29th, 2004, 3:16am »

I wish I could show you a proof I am a clusterhead, because another thing I've observed here is that somehow you have to "qualify" to be recognized as a clusterhead. Many older posters go "hummm, are you sure you are a cluster?? do you fit 100% our profile?? because this sounds like...."

I know there's many people who like to diagnose themselves based on internet info, but being so suspicious about is ridiculous. I mean anyone who's not mental does not want to be here. I do wish I had tensional ha or migraine or a screwed muscle on my back. But everything points out that I have cluster ha's.

ok, now flame me again people...

Miarella

I have no wish to flame you, but you seem to be suggesting that the reason we "older people"  Huhquestion people's symptoms and diagnosis is because we require people to "qualify" in some way.

Actually you are utterly wrong and your words are just going to scare off more newbies.
The reason we do it is simple, other headeache types are often simple to treat and the person could be headache free in DAYS with the right drugs.
If they do not have CH but they believe they have, they could be unnecessarily OR EVEN DANGEROUSLY taking:
Heart drugs, corticosteroids, vasoconstrictors, anti-seizure drugs, anti-depressants, narcotics, and so on.

That is why the "old" people do it.

Just off to get my walking stick and pension now

Wendy
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #66 on: Aug 29th, 2004, 8:29am »

Quote:
I know there's many people who like to diagnose themselves based on internet info,

I dont think you know much of anything about the people who come here.
IP Logged
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #67 on: Aug 29th, 2004, 2:14pm »

on Aug 29th, 2004, 3:16am, pubgirl wrote:

The reason we do it is simple, other headeache types are often simple to treat and the person could be headache free in DAYS with the right drugs.

Really not wanting to start anything. It's just that the brits won a couple of medals yesterday and I don't want Wendy getting a big head....

Everyone is different and making the statement that "other headaches are often simple to treat...." is a little misleading. Many people that suffer from CDH, transformed migraine, etc, go years without ever getting adequate relief. OTOH, many cluster sufferers are "easily" treated, if you like that term. Short cycles that respond very well to medication, long remissions etc. There are many difficult cases and I would say the large majority of the people that come to the internet searching for answers, are difficult cases. Some of us are just impossible.

on Aug 29th, 2004, 3:16am, pubgirl wrote:

If they do not have CH but they believe they have, they could be unnecessarily OR EVEN DANGEROUSLY taking:
Heart drugs, corticosteroids, vasoconstrictors, anti-seizure drugs, anti-depressants, narcotics, and so on.

Isn't one of the biggest complaints that cluster people have is that all they are ever offered are drugs designed for migrainers? That makes the opposite of your statement true.

Which headache condition could anyone here have that these drugs are not dangerous to take?  
Probably the most dangerously misdiagnosed cases of benign headache where medications are concerned, is BAM.

That said, I agree that a proper diagnosis is essential and is one of the most important things that a message board like this can do for people.  
I also know that it's pretty much impossible to try and do this (diagnose) without it "appearing" as some sort of exclusionary tool.  
"Passing the test" isn't for acceptance into the group, but is required to get the proper diagnosis and treatment. It's difficult to explain to people and difficult to administer the test without confusion of it's purpose.
That and the fact that everyone likes to be "accepted" and not turned away. Even if it's a "club" they'd rather not belong, it's never a good feeling to be rejected by people that share commonalities. Everyone likes (and in many cases needs) to be able to find a home. With each closed door, the disappointment grows.  
A problem that isn't easily solved and isn't anyone's fault. It's not the fault of the person looking for answers or the resulting disappointment they show when they don't find them, or the fault of the ones without the answers to give.  
How often have we looked at our clear MRI's and showed disappointment. Ya gotta believe the doctor that hears our disappoinment in not finding a tumor, has to be thinking; "what an idiot."

have a PF weekend everyone,
PF

IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #68 on: Aug 29th, 2004, 2:34pm »

Pink

heheheheh, trounced the USA in the 100 metres relay, your team was light years ahead of us in theory but for the first time ever in history we got the baton change right! Suck on that you "head of the medal tables at the Olympics not surprisingly you ought to be as the richest largest most developed nation in them" people. Looked at a globe or an atlas recently and you'll see why we are tiny and proud!

Seriously Bob, as usual I agree with what you say in essence (polite Brit way of saying I only agree with most of it!)
Many, many people come here with headache conditions where the symptoms are confused and/or complicated, or they are very hard to treat (my "simple" word was for the ones which mimic CH closely but on questioning sufferers, actually are the other shorter lived TACs not the ones who have the CDH or daily undefined headaches)
BAM is one of the ones I watch for very closely as triptans can kill, but if someone has come here undiagnosed, or self diagnosed, there are SO many conditions which could either be cured or made worse if we just spout CH treatments to anyone who posts.

You know what these are but many new people who post don't.

Hence the questions which might seem like we are trying to make people "qualify".

Wendy
IP Logged
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

WWW Email

« Reply #69 on: Aug 29th, 2004, 3:23pm »

on Aug 29th, 2004, 2:34pm, pubgirl wrote:

heheheheh, trounced the USA in the 100 metres relay, your team was light years ahead of us in theory but for the first time ever in history we got the baton change right!

I heard the baton was a compromise between our original suggestion in 1912 of passing a loaded rifle and the Brit's suggestion of a cup of hot tea.

Suck on that you "head of the medal tables at the Olympics not surprisingly you ought to be as the richest largest most developed nation in them" people. Looked at a globe or an atlas recently and you'll see why we are tiny and proud!

hehehe, it's always the little one's that say size doesn't matter.

To be the biggest and best is a burden we must accept. But you can visit any time you'd like Wendy.

You know what these are but many new people who post don't.

Hence the questions which might seem like we are trying to make people "qualify".

Wendy

I agree. Just think; if a polite Brit can't qualify the diagnosis without hurting people's feelings, what chance do us brash Americans have? (Even though we have so many more millions of rich, developed, people to choose from lol)

I was just trying to point out the difficulties in doing so without some problems. You have to admit that some people are better at it than others. Some people "care" about it more than others. Some people may even have different motives but I'm not about to be the one that administers THAT test.  Grin

Good luck in the closing ceremonies. Most of our atheletes have been up late celebrating. You might have a chance beating us around the track tonite.

PF
IP Logged

[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #70 on: Aug 29th, 2004, 3:43pm »

Pink and Wendy.....

You two are just too cute....get a room and get it overwith.  The tension is killing you both!   laugh laugh laugh

(sorry couldn't resist ... you two are bickering like an old married couple)  HAHA
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #71 on: Aug 29th, 2004, 3:53pm »

Redd

Being called old TWICE in one thread is TOO MUCH Sad

Toy boys are my game now (toyboys to me being 35 and under) Grin

Wendy
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #72 on: Aug 29th, 2004, 4:02pm »

I WAS 34 with the 25 year old boy toy there a few years back........Hmmmm wonder what ever happend to that guy?
 Cheesy

IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #73 on: Aug 29th, 2004, 4:10pm »

He's probably out there discovering that older women ARE better

W
IP Logged
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

WWW Email

« Reply #74 on: Aug 29th, 2004, 4:26pm »

on Aug 29th, 2004, 3:43pm, Redd715 wrote:
You two are just too cute....get a room and get it overwith.  The tension is killing you both!   laugh laugh laugh

I tried and suggested going Dutch but she mentioned something about going Greek which I didn't quite understand. There darn international boards are difficult to follow sometimes.

PF
(practicing for the verbal olympics....old married couple division)
IP Logged

[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss