Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 28th, 2024, 10:01pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « got nausea? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   got nausea?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: got nausea?  (Read 1799 times)
tenacious
New Board Newbie
Canada 

Email

got nausea?
« on: Aug 26th, 2004, 3:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

OK, I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I think the coast is finally clear to try again.

I am a clusterhead with all the classic symptoms.  I also have some atypical symptoms.  With a full-blown HA, I always get nausea and sensitivity to light.  

I know these are not common symptoms, and do not contribute to a diagnosis of cluster, but my research and the replies to my earlier thread indicate that they don't automatically eliminate it as a diagnosis either.  

Proper diagnosis is very important, as the treatments can be very different for different types of HA.  At best, the wrong treatment will not help, and at the worst it can be hazardous or even fatal.  Anyone who thinks they might have cluster should definitely get a diagnosis from a qualified doctor.

So I ask again, does anyone else out there have nausea and/or light sensitivity?  I hope those who said yes on the earlier thread will post again here.  Also, for those who do, do you have any suggestions on how to deal with these symptoms?
IP Logged

Ang
floridian

Email

Re: got nausea?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 4:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I remember a few people here who said they have either nausea and/or sensitivity to light.  It happens, but is not typical as you noted.  

You could have a cluster with migraine symptoms, or could have migraines triggered by the cluster.  In any case, the treatment is pretty much the same - unless you have a hemiplegic or basilar migraine ... in which case, triptans are not a good idea.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2004, 4:09pm by floridian » IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 4:05pm »

Uh, Angela?  Hasn't this already been asked and answered enough?  Why stir the pot yet again to the point of (you should pardon the expression) ad nauseum?

sorry if this comes off as brash, but honestly...I've been here at ch.com nearly six years now (will be official 10/30/04) and I've seen a lot of folks get run over for rehashing subjects like this.  Just a word of caution to you - not trying to upset you.

once again:  try Gravol.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 4:29pm »

I don't get nausea from headaches, but I get it from med side effects.  So far, Zofran is the only thing I've found to be effective for me.  I can't tolerate compazine, phenergan, or benedryl....we think I may be allergic to benedryl, which sounds weird, but true.

I have light sensitivity all the time...no matter if I have a headache or not.  And sound sensitivity too.  I like it to be quiet.  Bright lights don't just aggravate an already-in-progress headache for me.  Any flashy or bright lights can trigger a headache.  Not necessarily a cluster...just a headache in general.  I keep my dark sunglasses handy at all times.  Always been that way since I was a kid.

Good luck
IP Logged

tenacious
New Board Newbie
Canada 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 4:39pm »

Margi:  I'm not trying to be difficult.  I'm a little sick (pardon the pun) of the subject myself.  I just want people who come behind me to be able to find the answer without the 5 pages of clutter.  I didn't think that was unreasonable, since a search was the only way I could find it at all on this site.  I wasn't just asking for my own benefit, but to try to be of help to others.
IP Logged

Ang
broomhilda
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Ride it!

witchilda

« Reply #5 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 4:57pm »

on Aug 26th, 2004, 4:39pm, tenacious wrote:
 I wasn't just asking for my own benefit, but to try to be of help to others.

Ang, bear with me however I fail to see what your point is of raising this again? Folks come here for information and read the site(we can hope) and there exists the archives for info that is needed, I guess my question is are you here to help people and if so how, do you have an answer, idea or opinion on nausea? If not it seems like you are stirring the pot... Just my humble opinion...

Edit for sp's

Andrea
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2004, 4:58pm by broomhilda » IP Logged

Suck it up Princess...

don

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 5:00pm »

I'm starting to get a little nauseus now.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 5:02pm »

Don, you think it could be the ham?  Or was it the turkey?  I thought something smelled a little off, myself....
IP Logged

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 5:16pm »

From the OUCH Research Library:

Quantitative evaluation of photophobia and phonophobia in cluster headache.

Vingen JV, Pareja JA, Stovner LJ

Department of Neurology, University Hospital of Trondheim, Norway.

In order to evaluate photophobia and phonophobia in cluster headache (CH), light and sound-induced discomfort and pain thresholds were measured quantitatively in 50 patients and 50 sex-matched and age-matched headache-free controls. During bout (i.e., during the active period with attacks), CH patients were more sensitive to light and sound than controls (p < 0.001). Outside bout they did not differ significantly from controls except for binaural stimulation. Patients were more photophobic and phonophobic during bout than in the remission period (p < or = 0.05). However, for those tested during bout, the sensitivity to light and sound was not related to the presence of pain during test, usual pain intensity, or pain laterality. In response to a questionnaire about their sensitivity, a significantly higher proportion of patients considered themselves sensitive during bout than outside (91% vs 46% for light [chi 2 = 5.9, p < 0.05] and 89% vs 49% for sound [chi 2 = 4.7, p < 0.05]). These results indicate that photophobia and phonophobia are important accompanying phenomena of cluster bouts.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Light and sound sensativity are common in cluterheads.
I like some light but not direct, bright light.  I also like some sound but not loud and no freakin heavy shit!

I also used to become nauseous during an attack.  Usually only the long lasting ones and after getting a belly full of cafergot.  Barfing would end the attack.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 5:40pm »

I have an extreme sensitivuty to light, and a moderate one to sound.  During a CH last week there was a thunderstorm going on.  The lightning flashes bothered me quite alot. and the thunder was quite irritating. When I'm gettng a Ch, I prefer it dark and quiet.  Bright light almost always seems to make CH's worse for me.  And I can't tolerate continous loud noise.  Even static from a radio, if left on too long will trigger a CH for me.  I know it's weird but that's what happens.....

When my CH goes really high like Kip 9 or 10, I get nausea, with some disorientation.  Sometimes I also get it as a side effect from the Imitrex nasal sprays that I prefer.  I usually end up sniffing some to the back of my throat and getting some stomach upset.  I would rather have that than a CH.

The very rare times I have vomited while having a CH, my HA went away immediately afterwards.  almost as if the act of vomiting forced the beast to go away.  Again, weird huh?

PFDAN
IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
tenacious
New Board Newbie
Canada 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 5:43pm »

As I said, I'm not trying to stir the pot.  I'm just trying to put something in the archives that is relevant and easy to find.  I am not very computer literate.  I don't know much about how to do a search, and what I found was very limited and not very helpful.   Sad

I am not going to keep defending this position.  I found a gap in this site.  I was just trying to help close it.  I feel very sorry for the next person who comes along and tries to ask the same question.   Cry

Thank you for your relevant replies.   Grin
IP Logged

Ang
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 6:01pm »

here's what happened when I typed "nausea" into the search button above, and then pressed search at the bottom of the same screen (I'm telling you procedure in case my copy and paste of the search doesn't work here):

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?action=search2

of course, the first few replies are the threads that you have started, Angela, but keep scrolling...there have been quite a few mentions of nausea here - I only searched for the first 25 hits.  Yes, they do mostly indicate migraine, but as you've seen answered in this and also in your threads, it's not totally uncommon in clusterheads.
IP Logged

source unknown

1MajorPain
New Board Junior
USA 

Pain is not my friend!

« Reply #12 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 6:46pm »

This is a tuff room to work for sure.

Major
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2004, 6:47pm by 1MajorPain » IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #13 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 7:29pm »

I didn't answer before because nausea has never affected me in relation to clusters.  It was not a part of or relevant to my bouts of cluster as experienced.  Light and sound sensitivity, yes.

How would I deal with light/sound sensitivity?

Turn the lights and sound down or put up with it.

Kevin M

sp.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2004, 9:42pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 7:42pm »

During a extremefull painful bout, I have felt like barfing.  Perhaps I should have from what I just read.  Perhaps that would help.  But most of the time, my stomach feels fine.  There have been a few times I have a senesitivity to bright light, but that is pretty uncommon for me.    Most of the time, the CH just plain hurts.  Sometimes, it hurts real bad.  Even shadows hurt, but the pain is tolorable compared to the real deal.  Although I experience CH, I am no authority on the subject.  I have learned from my readings in this site that each one of us are a bit different.  I am sorry you feel like hurling every time you get an attack.  Seems like more burdon to bear.   Dayumm,   talk about adding insult to injury.   I hope your episoes end soon.
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
don

Email

« Reply #15 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 9:03pm »

Quote:
I found a gap in this site.

Well then.................

Quote:
I don't know much about how to do a search,

I guess that explains that.
IP Logged
crazy_mj
New Board Junior
USA 

SSDD

« Reply #16 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 9:22pm »

I have light, sound, and temperature sensitivity as well as nausea during an attack.  My neurologist told me that I have clusters with migraine symptoms.
IP Logged
Filbert
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

"Gravy-pure gravy and don't forget it."

« Reply #17 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 9:38pm »

IMHO I think light sensitivity has been underestimated in CH. I can't stand bright sunlight or bright artificial light in or out of cycle and the more posts I read the more convincing that becomes. Never had the nausea though.

Filbert
IP Logged
AnthonyT
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #18 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 11:04pm »

In some of the more severe attacks, I'll have a twinge of nausea. I feel like my system wants to rid itself of something (I also feel like blowing my nose and spitting) -- like this is as desperate a reaction to "get rid of the pain" as my externalized physical ones.

Recently (as in just this cycle), I've had something which could be mistaken as light sensitivity... All my significant (>kip6) attacks have been wake-up calls this time. And when I turn on the lights, I get the usual light-sensitivity-due-to-unadjusted eyes. But the odd thing is that my eyes have not been adjusting quickly at all. While pacing about like a cripple I'll be amazed that I cannot get my eyes to tolerate the light. If I can manage to sit at my computer with intent to read these forums, I might sit there "bathing" my closed eyes in the light and trying to open them... once it took me half an hour just to be able to adapt to a dim lamp and low-intensity screen. I've never experienced this before a couple weeks ago -- normally a 3am wakeup would find me adjusted to bright room lighting within a few minutes.

So, I'm not exactly light sensitive during an attack, but lately my eyes have been very slow to adjust from darkness/sleep to light, though all cases of this have coincided with attacks. I don't know if this matches the light sensitivity some others might be experiencing.
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #19 on: Aug 27th, 2004, 3:15am »

Well, the new name certainly fits better Grin
IP Logged
tenacious
New Board Newbie
Canada 

Email

« Reply #20 on: Aug 27th, 2004, 12:50pm »

It's true light sensitivity is not as rare as nausea.  You shouldn't have to know how to do a search to find that out.  It's much easier to find on the Canadian and UK sites.   Huh   I wasn't asking for a lesson, which didn't work when I tried it anyway.   Sad   The gap is in the site, not the searcher.

And, yes, this is a very tough room!   Sad

Thanks again for all relevant replies.
IP Logged

Ang
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #21 on: Aug 27th, 2004, 1:00pm »

I don't understand why you say that doing a search is hard here?  Just now I clicked on Search at the top of the menu, typed in nausea, and got a bunch of matches.  What do you mean hole in the site?

I just don't understand exactly what you are trying to accomplish with this nausea thing?

Huh
IP Logged

Jonny

Email

« Reply #22 on: Aug 27th, 2004, 6:14pm »

Man, I must be the freak on this site. in nearly 30 years I have never barfed with CH, I like the heavy metal real loud when im pacing and I find that looking just to the side of a light bulb helps.....the more light the better.

Your all a bunch of fucking meegrainers.......LMAO Grin

..........................................jonny
IP Logged
crazy_mj
New Board Junior
USA 

SSDD

« Reply #23 on: Aug 27th, 2004, 10:16pm »

I have never thrown up with a cluster, but I DO/DID throw up with migraines.
Kinda weird if you ask me, because I get nausea with both.  
IP Logged
bluesunshine
New Board Junior
Canada 

« Reply #24 on: Aug 28th, 2004, 1:36am »

on Aug 27th, 2004, 1:00pm, Lizzie2 wrote:

I just don't understand exactly what you are trying to accomplish with this nausea thing?

Huh

I think she is a student in neuropsychology, doing live experiences on ourselves...   DING DONG!!!  ca troue le cul!!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss