Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 6:00pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « CA's that differ from the norm »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   CA's that differ from the norm
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CA's that differ from the norm  (Read 341 times)
ex_pat_asia
New Board Veteran
Malaysia 

"Sometimes the wolves lie down and the Moon howls

Email

CA's that differ from the norm
« on: Aug 18th, 2004, 9:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I wonder if other clusterheads experience specific attacks that fall way outside their norm and if so, what do they think is going on.

I have just finished the mother of all bad nights topped off with an ER visit early this morning. It started about 11 pm, before retiring. The first appearance of an attack seemed normal, ramping up to a 7 or 8 pretty quickly. About 45 minutes later it began to subside,  into the shadow mode. Still, these particular shadows were accompanied by the tearing eye, which usually happens when the attack is in full bloom (call it 7 or above). The shadow would continue for thirty mintes or so and then "boom" start ramping back up again. I exhausted my oxygen tank and had already used max triptan, so was left sorta holding on.  

Any thing like this out there or are their other stories of attacks that deviate from your norms?
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2004, 9:15pm by ex_pat_asia » IP Logged

ex_pat_asia
"Work like you don't need the money,
dance like no one is watching,
love like you'll never get hurt" - Anon.
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

Re: CA's that differ from the norm
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18th, 2004, 11:20pm »

Hi ex pat, so sorry you're having a tough time.  

Some of my attacks are like that.  Especially when I'm getting multiple HA's (6 or more a day).  

Best Wishes
IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
Versilleus
New Board Newbie
Canada 

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19th, 2004, 1:52am »

Sorry to hear about your pain ex pat. May you be pain free soon and never have to experince the demon again.

My attacks change too. Sometimes they switch sides for days,  sometimes my eye is swollen and puffy. Other days there are no 'normal' cluster symptoms except for the pain, watery eye and running nose. Pain on the back of my neck varies from attack to attack.  

I don't think its uncommon for them to change. I do find it is harder to deal with because my body is so used to having my chronics a certain way.  

Paul
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #3 on: Aug 19th, 2004, 2:56am »

Yep... A "double whammy". I've had those before. No fun at all...
IP Logged

Chris
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19th, 2004, 8:47am »

on Aug 18th, 2004, 9:14pm, ex_pat_asia wrote:
Any thing like this out there or are their other stories of attacks that deviate from your norms?

Yeah, like a roller coaster ride on the pain scale.  Days/nights like those are what sends me to the ER...

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Aug 19th, 2004, 9:30am »

I got exactly the same thing last nite.
Damn thing got down to almost gone and then began to build back up three times. It never got back to the intensity of the first one but close.
Happened again this morning.
The zomig isn't doing it for me so I pop a xnanax and just go with the flow. Relax, relax, relax until its gone.
I really gotta believe that the aborts make it worse for me.
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 19th, 2004, 9:42am »

on Aug 19th, 2004, 9:30am, karma wrote:
I really gotta believe that the aborts make it worse for me.

You are not alone with that thinking...
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #7 on: Aug 19th, 2004, 2:30pm »

Sorry you got hit so hard.  That pretty much describes last Saturday and Sunday for me.  One attack right after another all day long.  Maxed out on hits of Zomig NS on both days and went through lots of ice.  Sometime during the weekend, I even gave myself a little black eye.

I hate it when the beast changes tactics.  Once in awhile I get the attacks on the opposite (left) side.  Those hits aren't as bad as the ones on my usual (right) side, but because I'm not used to it they seem worse than they are.  It's like knowing you are going to get punched in the right arm, so you draw your arm up and tense up getting ready for the hit and someone slugs you on the left arm instead.

I've never been to the er for a ch.  Too many horror stories from the people that have BTDT.

Hope it gets better for you.

Gator
IP Logged
ex_pat_asia
New Board Veteran
Malaysia 

"Sometimes the wolves lie down and the Moon howls

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 21st, 2004, 6:28am »

on Aug 19th, 2004, 2:30pm, Gator wrote:
I've never been to the er for a ch.  Too many horror stories from the people that have BTDT.

And you can believe them mostly, though I have been only three times in the 30 yrs of having them.  

This visit to the ER was simply to get some oxygen...spendy way to do it but any port in a storm as they say. On Thursday I was in my apartment in Bangkok (I visit frequently for business) and I had one of those small pony cansiters there. It is good to go for a couple of attacks but wasn't up to snuff for an all night party. Around 5:30am I was an hour and a half into the ride when I said to myself :"get thee to a tank". Hopped into a taxi and 5 minutes later presented myself to a pretty little doe eyed Thai nurse. I said, I am having a cluster attack and I needed Oxygen at 15LPM. Then she started asking questions of an admin nature. I had already given her my patient ID which I had from going through a physical there a year before. With each question I answered : "I need oxygen at 15 lpm". About 4 questions later my answer was one word: "NOW!" I shouted.  She literally lost a slip-on shoe in her haste to get a mask. God bless her. Chances are that if I had been in an American hospital they would simply have called security and cuffed me....then started the questions all over again.  

Thirty minutes later strolled out tired but pain free. That morning I made a choice to add cafergot to my daily regimen (3x per day) Now I'm on my third day with no attacks since that morning. It is the longest PF period since early May. I'll pull the cafergot in a day or two to see what happens. Not crazy about using it as a preventative but in this case it certainly seems to have helped. Can't ask for more then that.

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2004, 6:33am by ex_pat_asia » IP Logged

ex_pat_asia
"Work like you don't need the money,
dance like no one is watching,
love like you'll never get hurt" - Anon.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 21st, 2004, 6:49am »

Enjoy your pain free times!!!!!
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
ExPat_jac
New Board Junior
Indonesia 

air so thick it is it's own food group!!!

z18213  
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 24th, 2004, 12:58am »

I hate it when the beast changes tactics.  Once in awhile I get the attacks on the opposite (left) side.  Those hits aren't as bad as the ones on my usual (right) side, but because I'm not used to it they seem worse than they are.  It's like knowing you are going to get punched in the right arm, so you draw your arm up and tense up getting ready for the hit and someone slugs you on the left arm instead.

This is something I have always felt....my body knows whats coming so does it's own form of damage control..often in the process making changes to itself that causes changes to my headach pattern...

I felt the start of the heaach...start to tense...and that makes it worse!

I have also found that changes in my normal life actitives can bring on a much worse headach...this causes me to sometimes not do or go to actitivies (and become "anti-social"Wink at times that I normally would...the company holds a picnic, I find a graceful way of not showing up...things like that...

Hope it gets better for you.

Gator

There have been many times when I have had no other choice than an ER visit....not an option now...but.....

Sometimes it has helped...sometimes not...

Once on a flight back home, I had to be let off the plane in Atlanta and taken to a hospital because they figured I was freakin out Smiley

Hang in there ex_pat_asian

>> On Thursday I was in my apartment in Bangkok  

(course we all know it's the night life that's been killing you Smiley   ...I want to party with you sometime cowboy (line from "Stripes" )

peace bro.....

jac

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss