Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 28th, 2024, 9:49pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Chewing my way to CH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Chewing my way to CH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Chewing my way to CH  (Read 338 times)
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

Chewing my way to CH
« on: Aug 15th, 2004, 8:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have noticed that occasionally CH begins after I have started to chew chewing gum (which I do after every meal because us Finns are taught to chew xylitol chewing gum which is good for your teeth).  

Have you noticed the same?

I don't wonder at all that some docs think that people suffer from teeth problems instead of CH after this discovery.

Best wishes & PFdays to all,
sandie99
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

synergy2120
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

There is a rainbow out there somewhere...... ..

Re: Chewing my way to CH
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 8:16am »

Marc always gets an attack after eating - sometimes he will only get a few bits of his meal before the pain gets too much.

Hence why marc has lost so much weight - doesnt wanna eat cos he knows what will happen.
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 9:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Dont use the gum and I will bet you still get an attack.

I am guaranteed a hit  (when in cycle) 10-20 minutes after eating.

Therefor when in cycle I can not;

1. Breath
2. Eat
3. Sleep

Sure makes life tricky.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 9:41am »

The trigeminal nerve goes down into the jaw.  Chewing gum, or grinding the teeth when asleep can increase trigeminal activity. If the nerve is frazzled because you are in a cycle, chewing may be a trigger.  Unfortunately, just quitting gum won't keep the beast away if he is pressing in from other directions (neurotransmitters/hypothalamus). But you might reduce headaches somewhat.  Brushing the teeth or even rinsing with water after a meal is as effective as chewing gum for oral hygeine.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 9:43am »

on Aug 15th, 2004, 8:16am, synergy2120 wrote:
Marc always gets an attack after eating - sometimes he will only get a few bits of his meal before the pain gets too much.

Hence why marc has lost so much weight - doesnt wanna eat cos he knows what will happen.

Get a blender!!  Make some shakes.  My wife had her jaw wired shut for a month and had to eat everything through a straw.  Steak and mashed potato puree was her favorite.  Mmmm.
IP Logged
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 10:29am »

I gave up chewing gum a log time ago for this very reason.  Sometimes that muscle gets really stiff in my cheek and I have a choice to "crack" it or leave it alone.  It's a 50/50 chance of getting hit for me after doing this.

Quote:
Sounds like the lateral pterygoid muscle.  Runs from the sphenoid bone to the mandible (jaw) and the disc at the tempromandibular joint (TMJ).  Its nerve origin is the 3rd branch of the Trigeminal Nerve (CN#5).  

In the past I have tried to pressure point this muscle during a cluster attack.  It may help (???) but usually my jaw just gets sore!  

And yes, spasms of this  muscle can cause derangement and dysfunction of the TMJ producing clicking and locking.  

Hope this helps.  

Doug  

This is the one for me..

PFDAN
IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 11:58am »

I gave up chewing gum years ago.   Makes my head hurt.
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 12:07pm »

I have TMJ and have been wired shut . . .the blender became my best friend (along with ensure), and my oral surgeon told me quit chewing gum . . .which was hard to swallow, since I USED to chew gum all the time.  I'm guessing, since it's the same nerve & muscle, that it isn't good for y'all to chew either, since it is inflamed so much of the time . . .kind of like jogging with a blown knee?

*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
AnthonyT
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 3:30pm »

Great. And as I read this I'm working on a bowl of granola, while I've had a kip5 going the past three hours.  Lips Sealed It's all I have to eat and I don't want to go to the store for fear of this deciding to ramp up the intensity (I've never had such a persistent mid-level of pain before, so I'm not sure what to expect of it).

I, too, can understand "teeth problems" being suspect. I remember when I first got these I was suspect of the same thing... I often feel mild peripheral pain in my canine on the attack side, making me want to brush my teeth (which really becomes massaging my gums above). The trigeminal has it's hooks into far too many things -- who designed this thing, anyway? Tongue
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #9 on: Aug 16th, 2004, 1:30am »

Interesting.  I never made that connection before.  I also grind my teeth.  Sometimes, my jaw kind of locks and I have no choice, but to "pop" it.  I don't ever recall chewing anything just before an attack, but then I wasn't really looking for that either.  I'll have to pay closer attention and see.

Stranger and stranger, this disease of ours.

Gator
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #10 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 7:49am »

The more I learn about CH, the more I think of it as a freak of nature...

Take care, all,
sandie99
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

crazy_mj
New Board Junior
USA 

SSDD

« Reply #11 on: Aug 18th, 2004, 10:07am »

Reading all of this is quite a shock!!  Years ago I was diagnosed with TMJ.  I was supposed to either get fitted for a device to correct it and/or get surgery.  I put it off because honestly I didn't have the money.
I too can't chew gum without getting head pain of some sort. Also, my jaw acts like it is trying to go out of place on a regular basis and hurts like crazy!  One time I thought I was going to have to visit the ER to get it put back in place.  
I never really paid too much attention to the correlation between it being jacked up and my cycles, but I will be sure to pay attention now.
I also have a question...does anyone else have problems with wearing hats or wearing their hair up in ponytails or clips???
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 18th, 2004, 10:35am »

on Aug 15th, 2004, 8:13am, sandie99 wrote:
Have you noticed the same?

Absolutely not...  I have no problems/pain associated with my jaw, teeth, etc.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
synergy
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

There is a rainbow out there somewhere....

« Reply #13 on: Aug 18th, 2004, 12:21pm »

Marc grinds his teeth really bad when his asleep and he is also having to "click" his jaw back into place while eating!

IP Logged

The fastest thing on 2 legs is the toddler you have just taken your eyes off!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss