Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 28th, 2024, 9:55pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hey, a few questions about Cluster headaches »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hey, a few questions about Cluster headaches
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hey, a few questions about Cluster headaches  (Read 397 times)
atroxell8
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Hey, a few questions about Cluster headaches
« on: Aug 12th, 2004, 3:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello every one, first I want to say thank you for even clicking on my post. My name is Abby and I'm 16 years old. I've been having headaches sinse I was 8 years old. First they tell me and my mom that it is from my sinus's. Then it goes to my allergies, then its sinus infections, then its my asthma, then its because I have chronic pain, now it’s because of the medications I’m taking. They've put me on all different types of medicine's. At first they started out to only happen during the winter now they've progessed into an every day thing. I've always had stomach pain and vomiting along with it. My mom got tired of seeing me miserable so me and my mom got on the internet and started to look on the internet. I know that I suffer from cluster headaches. But knowing my doctor (the same doctor that gives me the run around) he will take forever before he gets me on the right medication for me. So I would greatly appreciate if you guys gave me some suggestions on over the counter medications that work for you or have in the past. It doesn't have to be medicine, anything you can think of that you done to help your headache, I would greatly appreciate it. It doesn't matter if it seems done, because at this point I am willing to try anything. Please help me.
IP Logged
FZfan
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Not Insane

Email

Re: Hey, a few questions about Cluster headaches
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12th, 2004, 3:35pm »

I strongly recommend you drop your current doctor, or at least get a referral, and see a neuro specializing in h/a's.

Take the cluster quiz on the menu to your left. Read everything you can here and print out the important stuff to take to your doctor/neuro if necessary.

Stomach pain and vomiting are not normally associated with clusters, but there are exceptions to this rule.

Until you get an official diagnosis, it is difficult to make any suggestions for you. One thing I believe there is no harm in suggesting, though, is the Oxygen therapy. If you truly have clusters, o2 therapy will most likely abort the attacks. If you don't have clusters, well, there's not much harm in breathing pure oxygen for 10 to 20 minutes no matter what it is you may have.

Good luck in your research, and I truly hope you do NOT have cluster headaches. Please seek a knowledgable professional to nail down your diagnosis.
IP Logged

There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it. - FZ
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12th, 2004, 4:38pm »

I agee w/ FZ ... "Stomach pain and vomiting are not normally associated with clusters"

Get a neurologist. Get a diagnosis. Then treat the problems.

OTC medicines will not help with clusters. (sorry)

Best wishes,
Unsolved
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
synergy2120
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

There is a rainbow out there somewhere...... ..

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12th, 2004, 5:22pm »

Just in case it is clusters hun - whatever you do dont try any analgesics e.g paracetamol, aspirin etc.. it will only make it worse.

I agree with the O2 therapy - it wont do you any harm even if its not CH. But def dump the doc sweetie.

Do the headaches wake you from your sleep?
IP Logged
atroxell8
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 12th, 2004, 5:58pm »

My headaches do wake me up at night.

My mom and I think that along with having Clusters I have an ulcer.

I have taken the quiz and the result is that I most likley do have Clusters.

Thanks for the advice
IP Logged
Little Deb
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Please SPAY and NEUTER all dogs, cats and idiots!

debbie4278  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 12th, 2004, 7:03pm »

Here are the doctors recommended on the OUCH site and the clusterhead that recommended them.

Illinois  

Dr Tuptki Gokani
Northbrook
James Ayotte

Thomas Freedom (Loyola University)
Maywood
James Ayotte

Robert Wright
Chicago
Steve Braun

Kenneth L. Moore, MD  
Oak Park
James Ayotte

Dr. Robert White
Rockford
Randy Cates

Dr. Lawrence Robbins M.D.
North brook
Bob Pahlow

Maybe one is near you.

Good luck.

Little Deb
IP Logged

Adopt a shelter pet!
alleyoop
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake me up when it's all over.

alleyoop_49  

« Reply #6 on: Aug 12th, 2004, 7:29pm »

Hi,  

Sorry about your pain! FZ gave you great advice. #1) Find a new doctor, preferably a neuro with experience with CH. Click on the "OUCH website" link to the left. There is a link on that website that lists doctors and neuros all over the country with experience in dealing with CH. #2) If you do have clusters, the o2 is an excellent abortive and works for most. Follow the "oxygen info" link on the left. #3) Two other things you can try: ice pack held against the head (a bag of frozen peas works great) or hold your head in front of an air conditioner. The cold helps many(including me). One other thing that seems to help many is melatonin- about 9-12 mg before bedtime. #4) You really need to get an upper GI done to find out if you have ulcers. Sixteen is very young for ulcers, but not unheard of. At age 20, I wound up in the hospital with bleeding ulcers. They had to pump 7 pts of blood into me. I almost died! I don't tell you this to scare you, but rather so you will seek a diagnosis and not let it get out of hand as I did. There is plenty of over the counter relief you can get in the meantime- from maalox to prilosec OTC.

Abby, I wish you the very best and I hope that the suggestions that have been made to you along with the information on these websites help ease your pain. I can not emphasize enough how important it is for you to seek out a good doctor and get a good diagnosis on both your stomach and your head!

Wishing you pain free nights and days...............

................................................................Bob
IP Logged

I know that the Good Lord won't put any more on you than you can stand, but sometimes I wish He weren't quite so PROUD of ME!
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 12th, 2004, 8:43pm »

Hi, sorry you're here, but glad you found this place.  I have to agree with everyone, and hope you don't have CH.  I also have to go along with the:  get a new doc advice.  Your doctor can refer you to a neuro .. .you and your mom might need to push for this, but it's what you need.  I also agree with the o2, it aborted D's h/as, and it helped the time I tried it for a migraine.  I also agree with printing the information and taking it with you.  Your doc will have a harder time disagreeing with you if you go in educated and loaded with information.
I hope things lighten up for you.
*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
don

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 12th, 2004, 9:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

here are a few things you can try.

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/resources/non_script_treat.htm
IP Logged
alleyoop
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake me up when it's all over.

alleyoop_49  

« Reply #9 on: Aug 12th, 2004, 9:44pm »

on Aug 12th, 2004, 9:05pm, don wrote:
here are a few things you can try.

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/resources/non_script_treat.htm

Good link poopie head!
IP Logged

I know that the Good Lord won't put any more on you than you can stand, but sometimes I wish He weren't quite so PROUD of ME!
don

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 12th, 2004, 9:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

LMMFAO!
IP Logged
ex_pat_asia
New Board Veteran
Malaysia 

"Sometimes the wolves lie down and the Moon howls

Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 12th, 2004, 10:56pm »

Quote:
But knowing my doctor (the same doctor that gives me the run around) he will take forever before he gets me on the right medication for me. So I would greatly appreciate if you guys gave me some suggestions on over the counter medications that work for you or have in the past.  Please help me.

Abby, I can scarcely think of a way to start this post, but I am at least encouraged that you are here. I hope your Mom is reading over your shoulder also. I think it is safe for me to say that your post raises my gall to a new found level over the indifference and some time incompetence of members of the medical community towards cluster sufferers especially, and headache sufferers in general. But lets put side that anger for a bit and talk about you.  

Based on what you have written it isn't entirely clear that you have clusters but I see that you have taken the test and feel that it is an affirmative. While I am very sorry that you need to be here, I am glad that you are. I am at the opposite end of my personal odyssy with cluster, having danced with these devils for thirty years. If I could have had the opportunity of reading this forum thirty years ago I have no doubt I could have saved countless hours of what is the closest I come to agony. Here is the good news: You can and will derive the benefit of this respository of information. It will allow you to shortcut some of the processes we have all been through to arrive more quickly at a balanced, wonderful life in which physical pain is not the most prominent feature.  

Here are some ideas to accompany you on your quest:
You do not have to put up with medical incompetence. I see someone has posted alist of Drs. already, there are others as well who have shown knowledge and compassion towards clsuterheads. If you wish, let us know what city you are in or close to. I suspect one word from you and the entire board will be sent off scurrying to find the resources.

There are a long list of possibilities in terms of treatment, and that list gets multiplied by the possible combinations. Because this is so, it will take some dedication to arrive at a point where you have dialed in the best for you. I have to warn you though, what works now may not later...these things have a way of shifting on us and keeping us "awake at the wheel" driving for more info.  

I will share with you that this process may never end (as viewed from the long term). I hope you will learn soon that this doesn't have to be so scary or bad. When I think of determination at overcoming disadvantages I think of Christopher Reeves whose devotion to overcoming his quadriplegia is a great example for us. There is a guy who doesn't quit no matter what the docs say. There are many examples like him actually.

Abby, don't be discouraged by your experience so far with the doctors. Please know that the right ones, after you find them, will be your best friend and they will be key parts of the army you will enlist in your fight against this. Start with the list shown above or ask for more. We will find one.

The list of non-medicine tips is a great one. Explore them all. I find that cold packs on my eye are very helpful if only because the cold distracts me from the pain. I favor Oxygen for its natural therapeutic ability, and the fact that it is cheap and normally available. Oxygen has been a gift to me. (I know this in a fresh sense as I aborted 5 attacks during the night last night and am presently exhausted but feeling triumphant.) I personally cannot wait to try the vinegar/blue chees under-the-tongue thing iffor no other reason that it is so bizarre. Good lord I can't even imagine how my normally crinkled face will look with that in my mouth. It is going to look like a wrinkle festival I'm afraid.

Stay with us Abby. In fact, maybe you could start a new thread called "Abby's Thread" and many of us will check with you as often as you post.  

P.S. If there is any problem with finding another Dr., any reason at all, please ask your Mom to private message or eMail me.

P.P.S.  Don really isn't a "poopeyhead" as alleyoop suggests. Other then being a bonafide clusterhead he is also a rockhead and as stubborn as a mule. I've posted a picture of what I think he looks like below. However, I also have a suspicion he has a heart bigger then the north forty acres his mule ploughs. He would just never want to admit it.  laugh

Best Wishes for PFDAN

« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2004, 11:06pm by ex_pat_asia » IP Logged

ex_pat_asia
"Work like you don't need the money,
dance like no one is watching,
love like you'll never get hurt" - Anon.
ExplodingEyeBall
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I can't think of anything clever to put here.

« Reply #12 on: Aug 13th, 2004, 10:17am »

on Aug 12th, 2004, 7:03pm, Little Deb wrote:
Here are the doctors recommended on the OUCH site and the clusterhead that recommended them.

Illinois  

Dr Tuptki Gokani
Northbrook
James Ayotte

Thomas Freedom (Loyola University)
Maywood
James Ayotte

Robert Wright
Chicago
Steve Braun

Kenneth L. Moore, MD  
Oak Park
James Ayotte

Dr. Robert White
Rockford
Randy Cates

Dr. Lawrence Robbins M.D.
North brook
Bob Pahlow

Maybe one is near you.

Good luck.

Little Deb

I see that atroxll8 is from the Illinois area. I'm not sure what part of Illinois but I have another Doc to list if she is close to the N/W Indiana area.

Dr. Sun
Munster Indiana

If you would like, I can get contact info for Dr. Sun

He is my Neuro and seems to understand and be sympathetic to CH sufferers.
IP Logged

Just poke out my eye and get it over with!!!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss