Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 28th, 2024, 9:32pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Shipwrecked on a calm sea »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Shipwrecked on a calm sea
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Shipwrecked on a calm sea  (Read 276 times)
ex_pat_asia
New Board Veteran
Malaysia 

"Sometimes the wolves lie down and the Moon howls

Email

Shipwrecked on a calm sea
« on: Aug 10th, 2004, 1:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The other day I posted how I had gone from 6 - 8 attackes in a 24 hr period to two and how those two were mild by comparison. I was approaching 10 weeks of the cycle I am in now.  

The relief came from starting Verapimil and a betamethasone taper. The drop in attacks was almost immediate, the two milder attacks occured in the 24 hour period immediately following my first 24 hrs of taking those drugs. I was elated.  
However, the Verapimil was having side effects that I found hard to deal with. They slowed my heart rate dramtically and I felt low on oxygen and listless. It is in my nature to be very active, and I travel in my business. So these concequences did not seem trivial to me, though the relief was so great. So I started screwing with the recipe. I took the Verapimil down to 240MG from 480 which I had taken in 240 dosages twice per day. That has not been a good idea. Today I have had four attacks with one of them reaching an 8 and lasting 45 minutes. Could not get it to respond to Oxygen and the immigram pills available to me take about as long as a usual attack does in me.  

I went back to the 240MG dosage this evening and will continue tomorrow. I have just aborted a KIP5 with Oxygen and I'm a little leery of sleeping (its 1:30 am my time). I write this simply to state that the obvious mistake was to try to fine tune something that was working.  The attacks are far worse then a little brethiness and weakness feeling. Oh well...stupid me...this is just one more testimony to "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I obviously didn't steer this ship well.
Cheers and PFDAN to all.

"Every man has his follies - and often they are the most interesting thing he has got."
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2004, 1:33pm by ex_pat_asia » IP Logged

ex_pat_asia
"Work like you don't need the money,
dance like no one is watching,
love like you'll never get hurt" - Anon.
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

Re: Shipwrecked on a calm sea
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10th, 2004, 1:48pm »

Sorry that your not feeling well.  BTDT and it sucks!  I have found that it is very risky to tamper with the level of berap in cycle.  Out of cycle it's ok.  I plan to ween off mine as soon as this cycle breaks.

Best of luck!

John
IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 10th, 2004, 2:48pm »

on Aug 10th, 2004, 1:32pm, ex_pat_asia wrote:

The relief came from starting Verapimil and a betamethasone taper. The drop in attacks was almost immediate

Probably due to the steriods. Verapamil will take a little while to have an effect. The increase in attacks usually start when the dosage of steriods is dropped.  

Unsolved

BTW, I agree ... if it aint broke, don't fix it !
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2004, 2:49pm by UN_SOLVED » IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
don

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 10th, 2004, 3:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

It normally takes up to 7-14 days for verapamil to reach theraputic levels. I always try to start the verapamil before the prednisone taper.
IP Logged
ex_pat_asia
New Board Veteran
Malaysia 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 11th, 2004, 3:25am »

on Aug 10th, 2004, 2:48pm, UN_SOLVED wrote:

Probably due to the steriods. Verapamil will take a little while to have an effect. The increase in attacks usually start when the dosage of steriods is dropped.  

Unsolved

BTW, I agree ... if it aint broke, don't fix it !

Quote:
It normally takes up to 7-14 days for verapamil to reach theraputic levels. I always try to start the verapamil before the prednisone taper. - Don

Thanks, I hadn't read that the Verapamil took that long to reach therapeutic value. I saw the neuro today...follow up...and he extended the steriod midpoint by 4 days, and agreed to the Goadsby Verapamil regime which just seems to make sense.  

Today was better...shadows at wake up and a low grade 5 after lunch. Pretty sure I have this one on the run. But the lesson I outlined above was well learned.  

Thanks again guys..
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2004, 3:26am by ex_pat_asia » IP Logged

ex_pat_asia
Ronny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Belgium 

Yabba Dabba Doo

maximus_imperius  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 11th, 2004, 3:03pm »

on Aug 10th, 2004, 1:32pm, ex_pat_asia wrote:
However, the Verapimil was having side effects that I found hard to deal with.

Hi,

I had those side effects too, but to my opinion those effects decreased after a while, after three days, my heart was beating at a rate of 55 where normally its about 85. I felt very very tired all day. I dont have these fx anymore, seems like my body compensated. I tried to cut down on vera, with the known result, Now i've decreased the dose with 1/3 and that seems to work, in a week or so i'll try to get rid of another third.  

Wishing you well,

Ronny.
IP Logged

Count your rainbows, not your thunderstorms.
ex_pat_asia
New Board Veteran
Malaysia 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 11th, 2004, 11:06pm »

on Aug 11th, 2004, 3:03pm, Ronny wrote:

Hi,
I had those side effects too, but to my opinion those effects decreased after a while, after three days, my heart was beating at a rate of 55 where normally its about 85. I felt very very tired all day. I dont have these fx anymore, seems like my body compensated. I tried to cut down on vera, with the known result, Now i've decreased the dose with 1/3 and that seems to work, in a week or so i'll try to get rid of another third.  

Wishing you well,

Ronny.

Many thanks Ronny-- Actually my BP and HR have risen a bit today, maybe the process you describe is already happening. In addition the restoration of the Verapamil dosage also seems to be reducing the attacks.  Since yesterday I've only had some agitating shadows that I kept chasing away with Oxy. Was worried they would reappear for the usual 2:00 am full bout but they did not.

Many posts here testify to a period for the Verapamil to work and for the body to adjust to it. It may be that I have a "shorter string" in that regard...as I think I am seeing both the side effects, and possibly the intended prophylactic action, sooner then what I've read.

Cheers and PFDAN to you.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2004, 11:11pm by ex_pat_asia » IP Logged

ex_pat_asia
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 11th, 2004, 11:08pm »

Glad to hear you're feeling better....

Best Wishes

John
IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss