Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 6:05pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Re: nauseous clusterheads unite! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Re: nauseous clusterheads unite!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: nauseous clusterheads unite!  (Read 3303 times)
ex_pat_asia
New Board Veteran
Malaysia 

"Sometimes the wolves lie down and the Moon howls

Email

« Reply #75 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 7:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There is always that moment, after the dust settles, to re-evaluate in a less emotional way, what anyone might have meant by what they wrote. This is especially true for ourselves, individually. No one knows what our thoughts were better then we do.  

It is early morning where I live, after a pain free night though yesterday was a tough one. I have spent the last couple of hours wading through most of the posts here, and on the other threads, where applicable, paying special attention to my own words.  

First, and foremost, I apologize to the BB members in general. It always takes two or more to argue, and in that, I failed miserably by not derailing this brouhaha early on. I should have just kept silent. Those posts that are rude, or that are rooted in anger, or hubris, or prejudice, or whatever...are likely to be apparent to anyone of intelligence. While it is intelligence that I seek here, it is not my role to admonish anyone. For that, I also apologize.
As I sifted through the posts, I also re-read all the words of all of the opposition. Those that posted in a manner that was not insulting, did so with impunity from me. In them there are bits of intelligence amidst the hyperbole. It is my own failing not to recognize this earlier. My aim is to not make that mistake again, and in my own private way, give credit where credit is due.  

I urge all BB members to refrain from trash talk, and I admonish myself for letting anger overcome me. That one post I regret the most. I sincerely believe it is counter productive and inappropriate on a BB like this to use language that is still widely regarded as unacceptable. For some readers, it is certain to drive them away.

I would also urge all BB members to refrain from denigrating other posters. It isn't a requirement to winning a debate or a point in a disgreement... that one must focus on negating another. The only outcome of denigration is to dilute the true purpose of this BB.

IP Logged

ex_pat_asia
"Work like you don't need the money,
dance like no one is watching,
love like you'll never get hurt" - Anon.
don

Email

« Reply #76 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 8:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
true purpose of this BB.

What the fuck is a BB ?
IP Logged
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

« Reply #77 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 8:02pm »

Buletin board = message board
IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
Jonny

Email

« Reply #78 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 8:23pm »

on Aug 15th, 2004, 8:01pm, don wrote:

What the fuck is a BB ?

Blueballs
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #79 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 9:06pm »

Quote:
Blueballs  

Now that I know.
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #80 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 9:47pm »

ex_pat, could you translate your post into plain English?

Or did you need that many $10 words to pep up your vapid hogwash?

Please note, we can't grant you impunity for not recognizing, that this is a clusterheadache site, and post about meegraine treatments are utterly unwelcome.
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #81 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 10:40pm »

on Aug 15th, 2004, 8:01pm, don wrote:

What the fuck is a BB ?

A little round copper ball, usually .177 or .22 caliber, that you load your air rifle with.   Grin

Gator
IP Logged
farmboy
New Board Veteran
USA 

In Cycle and in Pain

« Reply #82 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 10:45pm »

Gator

hahahahahahahahaha   good one

liked that
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #83 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 11:19pm »

I though he was quite articulate!!!

Well done.
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #84 on: Aug 16th, 2004, 12:57am »

Dude, lose the "better than thou" attitude and the "communicating as a learned scribe speaking down to the commoners aura" and people might 1. believe you and 2. accept your apology and 3. listen to what you have to say.  

You need to recognize there are people of many different educational levels here.  I'll be the first to admit I'm no genius.  Nobody, including me, likes to read a post with a dictionary.  We do enough of that looking up research data to answer our questions.

You also need to recognize that there are many people of many nationalities who are trying to communicate in the same language which (surprise, surprise) may not be their first language.  

We communicate in a sort of "common speak" here.  You can show your enormous intelligence by being able to communicate on the level of the general audience - not by alienating yourself by using big words demeaning attitudes.

Here's how your post reads to me.  41 year old, white, American male, High School education with some college courses but no degree.

on Aug 15th, 2004, 7:19pm, ex_pat_asia wrote:
There is always that moment, after the dust settles, to re-evaluate in a less emotional way, what anyone might have meant by what they wrote. This is especially true for ourselves, individually. No one knows what our thoughts were better then we do.  

Sometimes people get fired up and say things that might be misinterpreted by others.

It is early morning where I live, after a pain free night though yesterday was a tough one. I have spent the last couple of hours wading through most of the posts here, and on the other threads, where applicable, paying special attention to my own words.  

I went back over what I said here and in other posts.

First, and foremost, I apologize to the BB members in general. It always takes two or more to argue, and in that, I failed miserably by not derailing this brouhaha early on. I should have just kept silent. Those posts that are rude, or that are rooted in anger, or hubris, or prejudice, or whatever...are likely to be apparent to anyone of intelligence. While it is intelligence that I seek here, it is not my role to admonish anyone. For that, I also apologize.

I apologize to everyone in general.  It takes two to tango and I kept right on when I should have stopped.  Anyone with any intelligence will recognize where the problem was and that was not with me.  It's not my place to put down those of you who are less intelligent.  It's not your fault. I'm sorry.

As I sifted through the posts, I also re-read all the words of all of the opposition. Those that posted in a manner that was not insulting, did so with impunity from me. In them there are bits of intelligence amidst the hyperbole. It is my own failing not to recognize this earlier. My aim is to not make that mistake again, and in my own private way, give credit where credit is due.  

I re-read your posts, too.  Those that agreed with me went unpunished.  Some of the rest of you ignorant slobs may have shown a spark of intelligence, as well.  I was too hung up on myself to see that.  In all, I should have known better than to think I could have gotten an intelligent discussion here.  I'll know better next time.

I urge all BB members to refrain from trash talk, and I admonish myself for letting anger overcome me. That one post I regret the most. I sincerely believe it is counter productive and inappropriate on a BB like this to use language that is still widely regarded as unacceptable. For some readers, it is certain to drive them away.

You shouldn't be talking smack.  I kick myself for lowering myself to your levels.  You shouldn't use that bad language, either.  Some people may not like it and go away.

I would also urge all BB members to refrain from denigrating other posters. It isn't a requirement to winning a debate or a point in a disgreement... that one must focus on negating another. The only outcome of denigration is to dilute the true purpose of this BB.

You also shouldn't talk bad about others. (Like I did, but I'll never admit it)

The whole damned post is a way overly worded "YOU" message.  You can't apologize and use the word YOU.

Once more - with feeling this time.

Gator
IP Logged
kimh
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

What don't kill ya makes ya stronger

Email

« Reply #85 on: Aug 16th, 2004, 8:13am »

Language and its subsequent interpretations is truly a thing of beauty - especially when reflected through the rare connection of pain.

It seems i did not need a dictionary for any words uddered here.  

Facinating.......

Cheers and PFDAN Smiley
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #86 on: Aug 16th, 2004, 8:32am »

I was always told that communication was the art of being understood

Roll Eyes

Wendy
IP Logged
ex_pat_asia
New Board Veteran
Malaysia 

Email

« Reply #87 on: Aug 16th, 2004, 11:30am »

on Aug 15th, 2004, 9:47pm, Ueli wrote:
ex_pat, could you translate your post into plain English?

Or did you need that many $10 words to pep up your vapid hogwash? Please note, we can't grant you impunity for not recognizing, that this is a clusterheadache site, and post about meegraine treatments are utterly unwelcome.

Ueli, so noted though I am not seeking impunity from you specifically for anything and if you think you have been punitive then I am afraid you have grossly overestimated yourself. I simply apologized to you because my earliest remarks to you were uncalled for and were off the mark.  

Quote:
You also need to recognize that there are many people of many nationalities who are trying to communicate in the same language which (surprise, surprise) may not be their first language.  

We communicate in a sort of "common speak" here.  You can show your enormous intelligence by being able to communicate on the level of the general audience - not by alienating yourself by using big words demeaning attitudes.  

Here's how your post reads to me.  41 year old, white, American male, High School education with some college courses but no degree.

Regarding my writing style; it is what it is. It would be farsical to write any other way unless I was writing fiction, which I have tried in the past and did not do well. I have had a little more success writing for journals, and have had articles published on technology, advanced manufacturing, art collecting, fishing, and digital photgraphy. In other words, I am a sort of wannabee writer, not making a living at it nor even trying but I enjoy writing about things that I feel a passion for. I am degreed, but it was a late one, after interuptions by the army, marriage, kids, job, mortgage, etc ad nauseum. I finished my formal education when I was 29. I am now 58.

« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2004, 11:31am by ex_pat_asia » IP Logged

ex_pat_asia
don

Email

« Reply #88 on: Aug 16th, 2004, 11:35am »

Quote:
I though he was quite articulate!!!  

Read between the lines.

He's still trying to regulate the board.
IP Logged
farmboy
New Board Veteran
USA 

In Cycle and in Pain

« Reply #89 on: Aug 16th, 2004, 3:15pm »

kimh i would have to agree with you.
IP Logged
ex_pat_asia
New Board Veteran
Malaysia 

Email

« Reply #90 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 12:55am »

on Aug 16th, 2004, 11:35am, don wrote:

Read between the lines.

He's still trying to regulate the board.

Don, I'm not, and you read too much "between the lines". I have no interest in tilting at windmills which is what "trying to regulate" this board would be. There is no "regulator's button" for me to push. That responsibility falls to DJ without question.  

Actually when you think about it, it is one of the built in beauties of this or any BB-- that diverse opinions can be expressed. I guess it isn't unusual for those diverse opinions to break out into a donnybrook such as we have had. It all depends on the restraint on the part of the posters. Again-- I repeat-- I apologize for my lack of restraint. Full stop. Whether or not you, or anyone else for that matter, accepts it, that is all that it is. It isn't material to me that you do or don't. I am simply meeting an obligation that I felt I had incurred on my own.  
If, when you say "trying to regulate the board" you mean "trying to infuence the board" then for sure...mea culpa. We all express our ideas with that purpose in mind to some degree don't we? Whether our remarks are aimed at a specific poster or at the board in general is also immaterial. The flip side of this is, of course, that the readers can do with the information whatever they like. That is the balance in this system that makes it truly beautiful. i.e. --You post then I  a) post back kudos b) post back scorn c) say thanks and act on the advise or info d) disregard and stay silent e) puke, or whatever. The possibilities are endless.
IP Logged

ex_pat_asia
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #91 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 1:45am »

Good Gawd

Even I had to look that one up!

To save the rest of you doing it.
------------------------------------------------------------
Donnybrook

parish and suburb of Dublin, Co. Dublin, Republic of Ireland. It was famous for its annual fair, licensed by King John of England in 1204 and later suppressed because of its drunken disorderliness. The disorder gave rise to the term “donnybrook,” meaning an uproarious brawl.  

-------------------------------------------------------------
Wendy

P.S.
If any of you have ever been to the Puck Fair in Killorglin, you'd have an idea what this fair may have been like. Never seen so many hundreds of drunk people in one town in my whole life! The Irish now how to do it. Grin
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2004, 1:46am by pubgirl » IP Logged
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #92 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 1:51am »

And now we have to use little words???? Dam (I shortened the longer version by a letter to demostrate my willingness to participte properly, so don't anyone give me a spelling lame)

Now I get it!!! Migraine has 8 letters and cluster only has 7. We are suffering from letter envey!! Wink

The fact remains...

A thread marked "IMPORTANT" about a child with clusters has had 54 replies and this one is now over 90 replies.

Hence forth, I'll try to limit my posts to only conjugations and 4 letter words.

and with that I have yet but to say only,
good nite,
PF
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
Pegase
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

Hit the Road Jack...

« Reply #93 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 8:55am »

Some of us have better writting skills than others.... It's not my case because english is not my primairy language... Still got 2 college degree though... Write as you are dude... I've got no problem with that... I'll miss the meaning of some words for sure but i'll understand the general meaning... but dude remember... like my mother (and Lynard Skinard) use to say... Baby be a Simple Kind Of Man... humility is sometimes your best partner in life...

For me, you shoud have let this thread die... Lips Sealed

Pegase

IP Logged
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #94 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 9:25am »

on Aug 17th, 2004, 8:55am, Pegase wrote:

For me, you shoud have let this thread die... Lips Sealed

Pegase

That's what I said WAY back on page 3  Roll Eyes

Jim
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
BillyJ.

Email

« Reply #95 on: Aug 18th, 2004, 4:30am »

on Aug 16th, 2004, 12:57am, Gator wrote:
" You can't apologize and use the word YOU.
Gator

Your Wrong you fukken idiot! Grin
 ooops,,did I say that?

I apologize if I offended YOU.  Wink

Gator you know I'm just messin with ya here.I just  
wanted to make a point about how what we say and
the way we mean it aren't always clear in type.
  There are good and bad posts from the same posters,
several of them anyway,in this thread.I could pick apart
all those points.That's just not my style.I don't get involved in this kind of shit because I type slow and it's
just not worth my time.What would it solve anyway?
   The only reason I even replied was because I felt that
the point I am trying to show is one that many,both  
readers and posters,need to remind themselves of.NO
I am not pointing fingers at anyone or group specificaly.
   PF2ALL
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #96 on: Aug 18th, 2004, 5:09am »

Why you insolent pup.  I ought to...  LOL   I just can't do it.    laugh

I agree, Billy.  Sometimes it's hard to gleen the true meaning out of a person's words.  It doesn't help that our interpretation is usually colored by our moods and our own differing experiences.  Partial quotes (eh-hem) and words used out of context can also alter the meaning of a person's statement, which either intentional or unintentional can cause emotions to flare.

No offense taken here.

PFDAN to you.   Beyotch!   Grin

Gator
IP Logged
alleyoop
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake me up when it's all over.

alleyoop_49  

« Reply #97 on: Aug 18th, 2004, 12:19pm »

on Aug 16th, 2004, 11:30am, ex_pat_asia wrote:
In other words, I am a sort of wannabee writer, not making a living at it nor even trying but I enjoy writing about things that I feel a passion for.

Some people talk just to hear themselves talk. That being said, I don't believe that is necessarily the case with you ex_pat. I, personally have no problem whatsoever with your writing style. I think all gator is saying is with all kinds of people reading these boards, a little less pedanticism may ingratiate you more with the masses.

...........................................alley
IP Logged

I know that the Good Lord won't put any more on you than you can stand, but sometimes I wish He weren't quite so PROUD of ME!
ExPat_jac
New Board Junior
Indonesia 

air so thick it is it's own food group!!!

z18213  
WWW Email

« Reply #98 on: Aug 20th, 2004, 12:33am »

on Aug 16th, 2004, 12:57am, Gator wrote:

Gator

I recently just found this thread...and will post more on it in a bit...but first I just *had* to comment here....

Gator...have an idea what an "ex_pat" is?

Just to give you a hint...it is a person living outside their own country...I would dare say that ex_pat_asian is MORE than well aware of the fact that there are posters here that do not use English as a first (or even second) language...fact of the matter is this gentleman is LIVING in a country where there is all likely hood that he does not speak THEIR language...so is much more in tune  with the problem than you could ever be...

Fact of the matter is, I have found that persons with limited English usage often take the time to READ the post, and the effort to UNDERSTAND what is being said before going off half cocked...

What ex_pat_asian writes is both clear, and understandable by many that are not EFL skilled...

It seems to be only Americans (Americans do seem, for the most part, to be very lazy when it comes to language skills.....and do not try taking that as an insult...I am one also) that may have a problem with what he writes

Do like most of the people I deal with daily do when faced with a few words that they do not know or use regularly...learn from it...don't be frightened or offended by it....

I talk with people everyday that know very, very little English, and I know very little of their language...and nether of us become upset when words are used that we both may not know....

Sorry to comment and add fuel to this already hot fire...but it was just such a riot seeing someone that most likely has never stepped foot outside of the state that they were born in attempt to explain non-English speakers to a person who is living in a culture so far removed to anything that they could imagine as to be unreal....

If I am wrong, and Gator you have indeed spent the good part of your life traveling, accept my apologies...but having spent the good part of MY life living in other countries and dealing with other cultures and have learned to be pretty good at spotting those that then to stay close to home...

Now..back to the bar-be-que!  God, this is going to be fun…Not.
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #99 on: Aug 20th, 2004, 4:07am »

Too many words
Verbosity kills clarity in any language

The fewer, the clearer

Wendy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss