Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 6:59pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Has anyone have this happen? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Has anyone have this happen?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Has anyone have this happen?  (Read 396 times)
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

Has anyone have this happen?
« on: Jul 31st, 2004, 7:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello to all my clusterfriends,

Yesterday I had a K7 at work that I aborted with Imitrex.  Then around 9PM I had another, again aborted with Imitrex.  

Around 10 I took the rest of my daily 480mg of verap, 300mg neurontin and went to bed.  All night I was plagued with K5/6's . I would wake up have a cig, the beast would leave and I would go back to sleep.  This patter repeated about 7 times last night, all through the night.  None of the HA's were realy bad but everyone woke me up.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks,

John
IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

Re: Has anyone have this happen?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31st, 2004, 8:08pm »

What ?? Waking up in the middle of the night with headaches ??? UNHEARD OF !!  Grin    j/k

Sleep is my enemy ! It WILL bring on a CH that is usually FULL BLOWN !! I use Imitrex all night long ( and all day long too ! )

Hope you get some better relief  ( and some sleep )

Unsolved

IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 1st, 2004, 9:18am »

Yeah I know that CA happens at night when I sleep.  I didn't mean to sound stupid.   But 7 of them in one night?  That was a record for me.
IP Logged

UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 1st, 2004, 10:39am »

THere has been many times where I would fall asleep only for an hour or so then have an attack. 7 attacks a night (for me) means 7 Imitrex injections (@ night). I can only do that for a few days. BP will start raising and the number of hits stay high until I do something .... like a steriods taper or a DHE / Solu Medrol IV infusion to try and slow them back down.

I always have told my neuro's that " I can handle 3, 4, or maybe even 5 hits a day. Anything more than that really begins to bother me both physically and emotionally "

Hope your 7 hit nights end soon.

For those getting hit hard and often....when you feel like you just can't take it anymore and you're at the end of your rope. .. I would suggest getting ahold of a neuro (Immediatley, demand it ...not next week) and seek out something that will probably give you (at least) a break from the headaches. (DHE 45 IV, Solu Medrol, Solu Cortez,  Decadron, or Droperidol IV [watch EKG's] & Benedryl)

Good luck,
Unsolved

PS. John, -->  Ever had an Occipital block ??
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 1st, 2004, 10:52am »

Thanks Unsolved,

I am not familiar with the occipital block.  Does that block the nerver around that eye that gets inflammed?  Is it effective?  

You mentioned Benedryl.  Is that effective as well?

Thanks for your input, I really appreciated it.

John
IP Logged

thomas

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 2nd, 2004, 8:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yeah, I've had nights like that, but not since I quit using imitrex.
IP Logged
farmboy
New Board Veteran
USA 

In Cycle and in Pain

« Reply #6 on: Aug 2nd, 2004, 9:02am »

When i get into cycle i get hit about 7 to 9 times a day for 2 days in a row then it tapers off to 4 a day.and down from there.  it seems i get then ever 2.5 to 3 hours.
IP Logged
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 2nd, 2004, 9:17am »

The Benedryl is used together with the Droperidol. It's supposed to make it "more effective" for some reason. (According to Dr. Rozen of MHNI). I can't tell you exactly why ... maybe someone else can (Floridian maybe).

Benedryl by itself will do NOTHING for clusterheadaches !

"Neural blockade and similar injection procedures often are prescribed for therapeutic benefits; however, they also can be useful for diagnostic, prognostic, or prophylactic indications, or for a combination of these purposes" ... SOURCE:http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic514.htm

"A recent study has shown that injecting an anesthetic agent and a small dose of steroid into the region of the greater occipital nerve (at the base of the skull) can provide cluster patients with an average of 13 days pain-free time after a single injection." DR.TODD ROZEN
SOURCE:http://www.achenet.org/articles/84.php

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/library/surgery/occipital_block.htm

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/servlet/useragent?func=synergy&syne rgyAction=showAbstract&doi=10.1046/j.1468-2982.2002.00410.x

A huge list of nerve blocks
http://www.doctorsforpain.com/patient/nerveblocks.html

My first (of 6 now) Occipital nerve blocks gave me 17 days pain free. All others have failed, but worth the try !
Look at what I've tried already
http://www.chhelp.org/michaelsprocedures.html

An O. N. Block is worth a consideration. It's not painful and is cheap. The needles contain a mixture of steriods and a "novocaine' like substance.

It may help some people here !

Unsolved
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
floridian

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 2nd, 2004, 10:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Aug 2nd, 2004, 9:17am, UN_SOLVED wrote:
The Benedryl is used together with the Droperidol. It's supposed to make it "more effective" for some reason. (According to Dr. Rozen of MHNI). I can't tell you exactly why ... maybe someone else can (Floridian maybe).

Unsolved

I'm not that familiar with droperidol (and just came across a warning from the FDA - it can cause serious arrythmias when used to control post-operative nausea - that may not be relevant to the localized use in a nerve block.)

Histamine is one part of the cascade of inflammatory molecules (along with substance P, CGRP, Nitric Oxide, interleukins, etc).  Stopping one of these is not enough to abort or prevent (unless maybe they find one that is responsible for the release of the others (if that is the way it works)).    

Anti-histamines alone might help a few people, but blocking multiple messengers is more likely to lead to pain relief.  
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2004, 11:12am by floridian » IP Logged
marfanoidus
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

marfanoidus  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 3:52pm »

The worst two nights I ever had with CHs were during my current cycle.
Day 1, heavy workout, LOTS and LOTS of sweating.
Night 1, k10, none of the coping skills (dance) helped. Zomig didnt' help. Closest I ever came to killing myself.
Day 2, just like day one in workout. Got O2, after night 1.
Night 2, 6 attacks, k5-k6. O2 helped with them all.

I've had lots of nights fighting 3, but only 1 with 6.

CHs are largely symptomatic. The only change you experienced was in frequency. I wouldn't worry about it (meaning, I wouldn't worry that you are getting a tumor or something like that. I would worry about having to fight it so much).  

If the nature of the pain changed, or other symptoms started to take on new life, then I would worry.

My night one above was sort of like that. I had this weird 'tingling numbness' that I hadn't felt before, and the pain was more intense than I had ever felt - it made me redefine my Kip scale for what a '10' really is.
But that only happened once, and since then my HAs have been getting better.  

Looking back, it was like the crescendo.  

good luck to you all.
IP Logged

Sometimes "What doesn't kill you" makes you wish it had.
millwright75
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 7:47pm »

I don't know about having that many in one night, but I have had nights of 4-5.  Last night was a k6 at 7:00 PM (lasted about an hour), a k4 at 10 PM (about an hour and a half, which gave a false feeling of security thinking that maybe I'd be able to sleep through the rest of the night...WRONG ANSWER!!)  K10 struck at 1:15 AM and woke me out of a dead sleep, medication didn't work nor did the HOT shower, Cold shower, crying, praying, begging, pleading... you get the picture.
That one went away after about two hours and some vomit.  I was relieved to get a couple more hours of sleep before getting a K6 around 5:30 AM.  
I thinking we ticked off someone really important!!!!
IP Logged
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 8:37pm »

on Aug 2nd, 2004, 10:55am, floridian wrote:

I'm not that familiar with droperidol (and just came across a warning from the FDA - it can cause serious arrythmias when used to control post-operative nausea - that may not be relevant to the localized use in a nerve block.)

Droperidol is used only in a hospital setting. It is given through an IV (usually with Benedryl). It is not used in any kind of nerve blocks.  
For me > it works like DHE IV. ... BUT .... IT WILL CAUSE CHANGES TO THE EKG READINGS AND I CANNOT TOLERATE IT FOR MORE THAN 3 - 5  DAYS. CAUSES AN INCREASE IN 'QT INTERVALS'

Anyone getting Droperidol should have DAILY EKG's done !!

Unsolved
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss