Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 2:11am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Could this be the start of chronic? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Could this be the start of chronic?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Could this be the start of chronic?  (Read 442 times)
Major
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Could this be the start of chronic?
« on: Jul 29th, 2004, 3:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anybody could share with me info on chronic vs. episodic.

My husband has been diagnosed with CH - he is 37 yrs old, and had his first attack starting on June 1.  He had daily h/a until July 4, then nothing (well nothing too serious, just some "regular" headaches) until last night.

Last night, he had a really bad one - lasted 1.5hrs.  Today he is feeling good, no shadow headache either.

I'm now concerned about this becoming a chronic condition, since I've read that chronics don't go more than 14 days without.  

I am really, really hopeful that it is too early to determine this - I have a hard time imagining what life will be like dealing with this on an ongoing basis -- I can only think of what the chronics out there must go through.  He's got an appot with a neuro next month.

Any info would be welcome.  Thanks - this site is great.
IP Logged
thomas

Email

Re: Could this be the start of chronic?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29th, 2004, 3:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

If he has less than 14 days pain free by June 1 2005, then he is chronic.
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29th, 2004, 3:59pm »

But even then chronic isn't always chronic. I'd say I am a minority, but my last cycle was 2 yrs long.
IP Logged

Chris
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Jul 29th, 2004, 4:02pm »

Like Thomas said, the term chronic is a measure of time. If your husband has clusters for one year without a 30-day continous break then he is considered chronic.

Eposodic sufferers usually have clusters about 4 to 8 weeks long then they go away for many weeks or months or maybe ever a year or two. Since your husband's cluster was about 5 weeks I'd say he may be out of his first cluster but sooner or later they will be back.

Now is a good time to read all you can about the cluster condition and educate yourself because you may have to educate your neurologist mext month. Good luck to you and your husband.
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2004, 3:46am by BobG » IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
notseinfeld
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Enough is Enough.        Vote Libertarian

krilldocument  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 29th, 2004, 4:17pm »

Sorry to hear of your plight but take heart: Most every cluster sufferer at least starts out episodically and become chronic over the period of a few years. Additionally, roughly 88% of anyone that has this 'disease'  are episodic and continue that way. BTW, being episodic is no fun either.  

Hoping the best 4 ya,  
nots

IP Logged

-----------Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. ---------------------
dave_in_nj
New Board Newbie
USA 

saintinthecity  

« Reply #5 on: Jul 29th, 2004, 10:52pm »

I am sorry to hear about your husband, bookmark this board. There is support and knowledge here for you.

I am concerned that I have turned the corner from episodic to chronic. I am 5 weeks into a cycle and it has been years since I have been hit in the summer like this. It has been clockwork Spring and Fall for me the past few years. It is hard to stay optimistic at times....I still try to always hold out a small ounce of hope that mu current CH will be my last.
IP Logged

Anybody got a spare hypothalamus?
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 31st, 2004, 8:53pm »

You guys are scaring the hell out of me.  I've had this cycle since the end of May and it's still pretty bad.  I go to the doc again next week to change My meds.  If this become chronic I don't know what I will do.....
IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 31st, 2004, 9:33pm »

on Jul 29th, 2004, 3:43pm, Major wrote:
had his first attack starting on June 1.  He had daily h/a until July 4, then nothing (well nothing too serious, just some "regular" headaches) until last night.

I'm now concerned about this becoming a chronic condition

NOT CHRONIC ... just some anxiety setting in.  

on Jul 29th, 2004, 3:45pm, thomas wrote:
If he has less than 14 days pain free by June 1 2005, then he is chronic.

Exactly right.

on Jul 29th, 2004, 3:59pm, Superpain wrote:
But even then chronic isn't always chronic. I'd say I am a minority, but my last cycle was 2 yrs long.

Huh

Chronic isn't always a chronic ? ? You lost me there.

Huh

Sounds like during your last cycle, you were chronic for 2 years.

on Jul 29th, 2004, 10:52pm, dave_in_nj wrote:

I am concerned that I have turned the corner from episodic to chronic. I am 5 weeks into a cycle

Anxiety again  Shocked

on Jul 31st, 2004, 8:53pm, IndianaJohn wrote:
You guys are scaring the hell out of me

ANXIETY Will NOT help anyone. As said before, most clusterheads are epesodic and will stay that way.

ABOUT ANXIETY

CHANCES AT BECOMINC CHRONIC ACCORDING TO THE CLEVELAND CLINIC

Unsolved
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
ex_pat_asia
New Board Veteran
Malaysia 

"Sometimes the wolves lie down and the Moon howls

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 31st, 2004, 10:37pm »

IndianaJohn,
I am in a similar situation. I am currently at (what I hope) is the peak of a episode that started in May.  

My worse episode occurred several years ago and lasted 8 months. At present I am getting "beastial" visitations 5 - 6 times during the day and 3 - 4 times during the night. All of these would reach KIP8 or more if I did not treat with Oxygen at 12LPM or triptan. Primary first line of defense is the big O. Secondary, if not already exceeded dosage, is sumatriptan(Immigram) or elotriptan(Relpax). (No trex or nasal spray in my part of the world.)

Prophylactic daily treatment was just changed and is now:
240mg Verpamil 2X per day
400mg Magnesium 2X per day
1 mg betamethazone 2X per day (cortisteriod)
1mg Pizotifen 2X per day
550mg Naproxen Sodium (anti inflammatory) at bedtime

In my third day of the above regimen and finding that more of the attacks are more easily aborted with the Oxygen (and/or Relpax). Hoping this progess continues to a point that I can break free from the Oxygen so I can travel again.  

The thought that I may be chronic has never occured to me, and in fact, I am living for that inevitable and mysterious departure the beast has always taken.

PFDAN to all

IP Logged

ex_pat_asia
"Work like you don't need the money,
dance like no one is watching,
love like you'll never get hurt" - Anon.
don

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 31st, 2004, 10:45pm »

Quote:
I am 5 weeks into a cycle and it has been years since I have been hit in the summer

5 weeks of pain does not a chronic make. Far from it. In fact you will need to determine your  consecutive pain free time 47 weeks from now to determine if you are chronic or not.

Less than 14 consecutive days pain free within 1 year is chronic.
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2004, 10:45pm by don » IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 1st, 2004, 10:52am »

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I think that was addressed at the convention and Dr. Volcy did confirm that the criteria had been re-defined to be 30 consecutive pain free days?  

IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
don

Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 1st, 2004, 11:44am »

Your right Redd.  

The IHS diagnostic guidelines now state  pain free time less than one month.
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2004, 12:14pm by don » IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #12 on: Aug 1st, 2004, 4:34pm »

Unsolved, what I meant is I consider chronic as having clusters forever with no remission... Chronic in the truest sense. Technically, yes, I was chronic for two yrs as far as the definition goes, but the way I see it I just have really long cycles. I'm PF for now, so I'm hardly chronic.

I just see a difference in long cycles and never getting relief. Even if I go 3 yrs I will still be fairly sure that it will end at some point. I reserve the use of the word "chronic" for poor souls such as yourself that have suffered for yrs and will most likely continue to suffer either till you die, or hopefully they dissapear someday.

Chronic has become a scary buzzword around here for inexperienced newbies to freak out over.

From my personal episodic experiences, and the fact that my cycles are so long but always end, my defintion of chronic means you at least have to have headaches longer than one of my cycles and keep having them to attain the coveted title of "Chronic". Wink

And no offense to the newbies who fret over this matter, but I can't help but almost chuckle over worrying about being chronic after a few weeks or months. Hell, my first cycle at 15 was 4-5 months long.

But that was 18 yrs before I even heard the word chronic pertaining to headaches, and as far as I knew I was the only person in the world that suffered with these damned things. So maybe just being blissfully ignorant till I put in my time saved me from this particular anxiety. Otherwise I guess I'd probably have freaked out about it too....

Point being... Relatively there are not many chronics, and the mere word has become over used and sensationalized as of late. Have headaches for at least 3 yrs straight and then worry about being chronic. Otherwise, I am proof that there is hope and it's not going to last forever. PFDAN to you all. Smiley
IP Logged

Chris
Jonny

Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 1st, 2004, 4:57pm »

on Aug 1st, 2004, 4:34pm, Superpain wrote:
Point being... Relatively there are not many chronics, and the mere word has become over used and sensationalized as of late.

..................................LOL  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 1st, 2004, 5:46pm »

LMAO

Hey!! I've just turned chronic!
SEN-FUCKEN-SATIONAL
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #15 on: Aug 2nd, 2004, 3:49pm »

C'mon... You guys know what I meant.

Maybe just "over-used" would be a better way to put it.
IP Logged

Chris
Jonny

Email

« Reply #16 on: Aug 2nd, 2004, 3:56pm »

on Aug 2nd, 2004, 3:49pm, Superpain wrote:
C'mon... You guys know what I meant.

Maybe just "over-used" would be a better way to put it.

Just bustin chops dude Grin

....................................jonny
IP Logged
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Aug 2nd, 2004, 6:10pm »

on Aug 1st, 2004, 4:34pm, Superpain wrote:
I reserve the use of the word "chronic" for poor souls such as yourself that have suffered for yrs and will most likely continue to suffer either till you die, or hopefully they dissapear someday.

Gosh ... I love to be cheered up !

Unsolved
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #18 on: Aug 2nd, 2004, 6:24pm »

When a cycle starts it's common to worry about turning Chronic. There is less than a 18% chance of an Episodic turning to Chronic. I wouldn't worry too much about being Chronic. Some cycles last alot longer than others. My last cycle was close to 5 months but thank the lord it finally ended. As previously mentioned, you'd have to go 48 weeks straight before concidered Chronic. Hang in there and take it one day at a time.   PFDAN
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss